Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Organising Recipes

Last post Sun, Apr 19 2009 7:46 PM by Loves to Sew. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 23 2008 8:04 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Organising Recipes

Perhaps Grandmother sribbled her recipes on paper and tucked them into a box, Mom carefully typed hers on cards and filed them into plastic boxes while we have programs we can enter the information into. 

Do you prefer to see handwritten recipes that may now be considered treasured vintage pieces or become such or is your preference for something more modern that is crisp and organised? Tell us how you organise those recipes.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Dec 23 2008 8:21 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Organising Recipes

I keep a lot of recipes on the computer, in a folder called "Recipes" (of all things!) and let the computer organize them alphabetically. When I want to actually use one of them, though, I copy it off longhand to a recipe (index) card and put it in a recipe box I made from plastic canvas long ago where they are sorted again alphabetically. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Dec 23 2008 9:45 PM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 24 2007
    • Posts 868

I can't tell you how excited I got when I saw this post!!!  Weopened Christmas gifts early because of family activities on Christmas day and I got a recipe keeper.  DH found it at Costco fo $12 and I love it.  Its just a binder, but it has blank paper for printing recipes, tab dividers with pockets that seperate different catagories, and sheet protectors that are sized to hold index/recipe cards.  It also has a section of kitchen tips like substitutions and spice pairings, wine pairings and the like.  Its really nifty.  I might be able to get all the recipes in one place now.

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• Tue, Dec 23 2008 9:57 PM In reply to

I am making my own cookbood out of a 3 ring binder and sheet protector sheets.  I just go on the internet and print the recipes I want and file it in the binder.

• Tue, Dec 23 2008 10:39 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

AmyC:
    Weopened Christmas gifts early because of family activities on Christmas day and I got a recipe keeper

That sounds like a very nice gift.

Mom put one together for my brother and I have one she has partially done. I need pockets though to tuck those recipes I find here and there until I can get them printed or written out.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Dec 24 2008 6:37 PM In reply to

Mine are not organized to be honest!!  I have cookbooks which I love, I use allrecipes and have a huge online recipe box with them, then tons of handwritten ones on notecards.

Some of those programs are neat but require a lot of data entry.  I like the sound of the binders, like Amy's new one.  Sounds very professional!!

• Wed, Dec 24 2008 6:46 PM In reply to

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 4 2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

I have the same system, with a three-ring binder and sheet protectors. I print some recipes on full pages of paper, and then there is always room to paste others clipped from magazines or scribbled on a note card.

It's divided up into breakfast, meat, vegetables, baking, misc, and canning. 

• Wed, Dec 24 2008 9:05 PM In reply to

Dear ALl, I RARELY take recipes off e-letters that I receive, & I NEVER go to recipe websites except for the Food Stamps one.  If I do take a recipe from teh Net, I treat its print-out like all my other recipes.  I have a 4", very heavy Recipe binder.  The categories ARe:

hints & menus

beverages

desserts

pies

cakes

cookies

grains

bread

legumes

fish

meat (left-over from when I ate meat)

poultry (ditto, re eating at home)

fruit

fruit/veggie combos

veggie salads

veggies in alpha order

soup

tofu entrees

vegan entrees

pasta

sauces & dips.

Also, I mark up my cookbooks with changes that I prefer.  On the front leaf, I write recipes (& their pages) that I find excellent.  On top of other recipes, I write "very good" or "fair," just so that I know.

Finally, WHole Foods gives out recipe cards, & when I was on a Thrift Tour fo the store, they gave out card boxes.  So I save selected recipe cards, too.

Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Thu, Dec 25 2008 11:25 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I had an kind of unusual way of having my most used recipes handy; they were taped to the inside of my cupboard doors, and when I ran out of room there they went onto the front of the cupboard doors so they were easily visible as I needed them. I had recipes like pie crust, biscuits, Jello Cool Whip pie, oatmeal cookies, bread, streusal topping for desserts, fruit crisp topping, directions for oatmeal, minute rice and instant potatoes,  all on the doors. That way they didn't get lost in a drawer or box. But we painted last month and they haven't found their place back up on the cupboards again, YET!  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Thu, Dec 25 2008 8:55 PM In reply to

I have a small recipe binder, but I took out the tabs -- to constricting for me!  So it's just pages of the recipes.  The cookie recipes I have from my great great grandmother were given to me by my mom who put them on 3x5 cards for me; I later put them in this binder as the cards kept getting stuck in weird places.

Recipes found online get tested and then placed in a magnetic "locker caddy" (thank you dollar tree) on my fridge.  If I make the recipe several times, I will transfer it to my recipe binder.  I've already made the peach cobbler I got online twice and I doubt it will be going anywhere anytime soon!  Also, similar to Edey, but when it's a new recipe, I tape it on the cabinet door where I'm working.  I just find this much easier to keep me focused.  I take it down when I'm done though and drop it in my locker caddy.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us