Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Most reliable used car or truck under $3000?

Last post 12-18-2008 5:15 PM by cheapChic. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2008 10:39 AM

Most reliable used car or truck under $3000?

Grr.

My van that we spent $2000 this year for a transmission, $300for a heater core, and I can't remember what else last year....now has a ghost in the machine. It's a terminal illness, related to either the security system and/ or the elctrical system. Dh has said we will either trade it in or sell it at auction in the spring as it is beyond his expertise and the dealership will just keep replacing parts and charging me for it. I have done research online and found the same issue with 1997-2002 model years of Chrysler T&C LXi vans. Basically, the van decides when it wants to start or not. The security system has control over my van, good grief. Even if I disarm the system, it will re-arm itself on it's own. It's like a bad B-movie.

I looked at some consumer websites for the most reliably rated used cars, but was only able to find it for new cars. I only want to spend $3000 at the most for a used car or pickup truck or SUV. AWD or 4WD is a consideration, although I've been using dh's truck this winter since my van got a mind of it's own.

Do any of you have any opinions as to any makes and models of vehicles that are particularly reliable or lowmaintenence?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 12-12-2008 10:45 AM In reply to

Re: Most reliable used car or truck under $3000?

I don't know if you would be able to find any at your price, but I personally would buy either a Honda or Toyota.  You might want to try searching under cars or trucks with the best resale value.  Good luck!

Andrea 

• 12-12-2008 10:50 AM In reply to

I was thinking the same thing. The websites I looked at, Toyota and Honda were the number one and two spots in the top ten for overall value.

• 12-12-2008 10:50 AM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:
    The security system has control over my van, good grief. Even if I disarm the system, it will re-arm itself on it's own. It's like a bad B-movie.

You didn't happen to name your van "Christine," did you? That's spooky!

Kelly Blue Book's website offers a whole section on used cars with resale values. That might be helpful:

www.kbb.com

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 12-12-2008 10:56 AM In reply to

another consideration: would parts for a foreign made car be more expensive than fora domestic car?

• 12-12-2008 11:00 AM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:

another consideration: would parts for a foreign made car be more expensive than fora domestic car?

Possibly. We have a used Volvo but have been able (on the one occasion to need a part replacement in 2 years) to have a re-conditioned part. that's my only experience with foreign car parts.

Erika
  • 12-12-2008 8:23 PM In reply to

Nissan trucks are reliable and will almost pull a freight train, but they are a bear to work on, and repair and parts prices are ghastly.

Old Toyota trucks are excellent if you can find someone willing to part with one. 

Old pre-2000 Ranger 6 cyls or AT's are good and cheap, but their manual transmissions are citrus quality. We are having constant sensor replacements with our Windstar van and resale prices for Windstars in this area are rock bottom...

My mechanic and his wife love Corollas but not Camrys.  But--you can't drive either out of half the parking lots in town, for fear of losing your oil pan and muffler.

All Ford 8 cyls and F150 or above made after a certain date in the late 90's have, not a timing belt or chain, but a gearwheel--and it, so help me God/dess, is made of PARTICLE BOARD!  I've been a helper on replacing one of these and am not, repeat not, lying about this.  

Christine lives on this block.   She's an Infiniti, not a Plymouth.  

• 12-12-2008 9:53 PM In reply to

sounds more like the electrical system or something shorted you out somewhere if all things fail pull the batterie out and have that checked the head to everything else...

• 12-13-2008 12:41 AM In reply to

• i'm a honda fan, too- mine is 10 years old, and so far it has needed....hmmm.....tires and oil!  so the good thing is, even if the parts do cost more, you almost never need any!  consumer reports has lists of most reliable vehicles, organized by price.  don't buy a toyota tacoma pick-up made from about 1995 to 2000- they were recalled for frame rot, and ours did.
  • 12-16-2008 10:18 AM In reply to

Hi Cinnamonhuskies,

This is the best used cars list from Consumer Reports. These are apparently the cars that are the most reliable  - hope that helps!

Acura Integra
    Acura MDX
    Acura RL
    Acura RSX
    Acura TL
    Acura TSX
    BMW M3
    Buick LaCrosse
    Honda Accord
    Honda Civic
    Honda Civic Hybrid
    Honda CR-V
    Honda Element
    Honda Odyssey
    Honda Pilot
    Honda S2000
    Infiniti FX
    Infiniti G20
    Infiniti G35
    Infiniti I30, I35
    Infiniti QX4
    Lexus ES
    Lexus ES
    Lexus GS (RWD)
    Lexus GX
    Lexus IS
    Lexus LS
    Lexus RX
    Lexus SC
    Lincoln Continental
    Lincoln Town Car
    Mazda Millenia
    Mazda MX-5 Miata
    Mazda Protegé
    Mazda3
    Mitsubishi Endeavor
    Mitsubishi Outlander
    Nissan Altima
    Nissan Maxima
    Nissan Murano
    Pontiac Vibe
    Porsche 911 (except '03)
    Scion tC
    Scion xB
    Subaru Baja
    Subaru Forester
    Subaru Impreza
    Subaru Legacy
    Subaru Outback
    Toyota 4Runner
    Toyota Avalon
    Toyota Camry (except '07 V6)
    Toyota Camry Solara
    Toyota Celica
    Toyota Corolla
    Toyota Echo
    Toyota Highlander
    Toyota Land Cruiser
    Toyota Matrix
    Toyota Prius
    Toyota RAV4
    Toyota Sequoia
    Toyota Sienna
    Toyota Tundra (except '07 V8 4WD)
    Volvo S60
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us