Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Habitat for Humanity, Restore Stores

Last post 12-31-2010 10:56 PM by donna england. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-10-2008 9:29 AM

• LJcoolJ
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Cincinnati, Ohio
    • Posts 24

Habitat for Humanity, Restore Stores

Just wondering if anyone has purchased home building supplies at one of these stores and what your thoughts are.  Just found out there is one about 5 miles from my house.

• 12-10-2008 9:50 AM In reply to

Re: Habitat for Humanity, Restore Stores

I have not needed anything as I live in an apartment, but I know people who have had good dealings with the one in my area.  In fact, they recently sold a bunch of hotel furniture, if you can believe it.  They posted pics of everything online and then had a big "yard sale" day for everything.  Some of it was kinda obviously hotel-ish, but the t.v. armoirs were very nice from what I could see.  I know some people who have bought things like doors and windows that were in perfectly good condition but someone wanted an "upgrade" so they donated the old stuff to Habitat.  I think it's like any other thrift/second-hand store -- you have to dig through and know exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 12-10-2008 10:31 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I haven't bought anything from them either, but I would if I needed something they had. I've seen things that came from there and they were in good condition, but I suppose you'd have to be careful in choosing. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-10-2008 11:14 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we brought a couple of things we brought some doors some a set of washer and dryer . our store about 35 miles away we been pleased with what we buy .. our is a rather small store and they are very welll stocked..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 12-10-2008 2:02 PM In reply to

I know that we have one close to our house (about 30 minutes away) but I haven't been there yet. I would love to go, because I hear you can find some great deals.....

Have a blessed day,

Julie

• 12-15-2008 10:43 AM In reply to

There is one a little over half an hour away, but it's in an area we never visit for any other reason, so we haven't really had a chance to check it out. It's too bad there isn't one nearer, because I really like the idea. If it were as close as the Lowe's or the Home Despot, we'd probably shop there all the time.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 12-23-2008 1:30 PM In reply to

All ReStores are not created equal.  We have one nearby that is just a junky mess and in a bad part of town, so I rarely go there.  When I do, I've been disappointed in what they have.  I've been to ReStores in other cities that were fantastic...Well organized, lots of product.  It also just depends on the donations that they get any given month.   Now, when I'm looking for something in particular I give them a call first to see if they have anything like that.  We have a lot of building supply discount stores in this area, so we tend to find better items there anyway, but I always try to give them a chance whenever I can.  It's a worthy cause and the more we support them, the better they can be.

Visit my website for pictures of my garden and craft projects. www.gardensandcrafts.com
  • 02-19-2009 12:15 PM In reply to

• Kris18
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Posts 2

It's true that some Re-Stores are better than others.  The Habitat that I volunteer for just opened a Re-Store.  It's really nice.  We have another volunteer who owns a home decorating business.  They donate brand new building materials that they sometimes end up stuck with.

• 05-10-2010 4:27 PM In reply to

So, since my last post, I have discovered that these stores vary a lot in quality.  When we finally got around to checking out our nearest store, it was a huge disappointment.  We found no building supplies, no appliances, and very little furniture (all in pretty bad shape).  It was mostly crammed full of old glassware and other useless knickknacks, like a bad yard sale.  The second nearest store, an additional 20 minutes to the south, wasn't much better, although it did have a few very old and battered appliances.  However, when we tried the store up north, we hit pay dirt.  It was like a whole warehouse of secondhand building materials: doors, windows, furniture, appliances, tile, plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures, hardware, you name it.  They had some Italian ceramic tile that was really cheap (less than a dollar a square foot), but there wasn't enough of it in the color we liked.  But we did get a cultured marble sink and vanity top (all one piece, still new in the box) for $20 and a slightly battered porch light for $1.50.  We will definitely be shopping there again.

If your local store is only five miles away, it is definitely worth a trip to check it out.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 05-11-2010 10:26 PM In reply to

I love those basic sink cabinets if they got it there I try to get one for 50.00 dollars its worth it...

Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us