Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cost of child care in your area?

Last post Wed, Jul 24 2013 11:19 AM by sunflower nice. 40 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 19 2009 10:39 AM In reply to

Re: Cost of child care in your area?

WOW, WAY more expensive here too!  Infant care is a minimum of $1000 per month-and that's rare.  It would be more likely $1250-$1500.  Toddler care is not much less.  A friend of mine with 3 kids (preschooler, toddler, infant) pays about $4000 per month for their full time care.  Her preschooler costs a lot less during the school year as she only needs 1/2 day care.

It's too much for me to consider working outside the home.  It isn't worth it for the amount that I would have to pay for my 2, almost 3!

• Fri, Jun 19 2009 10:59 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

wow is it worth working paying $4000 a month for care!    here someone would hire a phipplino (not spelt right I know) instead because after 2 kids it would be too expensive.  lots do.

daycare about $800 - $1000 for a baby about $700 - $800 for a toddler to 5 yrs old. around $500 for school age.   private at home care is not much cheaper.   there is daycare subsidys for lower income people.

I am lucky my mom can take care of my kids when I work parttime for $20 a day.  she only charges babysitting when I work.  which I have no problem with since daycare would probably cost me $60 - $80 a day.  plus she feeds them, buys toys constantly (thrift stores) etc so the $20 goes back to them.  she needs the money too. 

her thing as always been no free ride pay something like I paid $50 rent when I was 18 and working.    now she wouldn't charge me if I was working because I was desparate and really needed the money to survive.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Fri, Jun 19 2009 6:40 PM In reply to

Where do you live? I'd like to move there & do child care, as wow, $4,000 a
    month,that's over 2 times what my husband makes a month at $11.27 an hour &
    we live on his income only.
  • Fri, Jun 19 2009 7:19 PM In reply to

California.  Everything's expensive here.  That was for 3 kids under 5, full time, one a newborn.  She has had an in home person-a nanny at different times in the past but has trouble getting one that sticks around so they end up going back into daycare.  Otherwise, Martha's right, here once you have 2 kids or more, it's cheaper to have someone come watch them at your house.  The newborn costs her the most right now.  She has a good job with high income-I don't know how she does it though-must be worth it or she wouldn't!  She does use a pretty elite service but even still, when I have looked at other daycare options around here, it is not much less, especially for infant care. 

After school care drops quite a bit, mostly because of the reduced time they are there, and our schools do have fairly affordable before/after care (though I think it's still quite a bit, something like $8 per hour per child or so, adds up quick if you have multiple kids.)

Anyway, I don't know how people do it, unless they use state subsidized care.  If they don't qualify, I really don't know how they afford it!  I've considered taking kids in for daycare myself as the income can be quite good, though it's definitely not an easy job that's for sure.  It would probably be the first thing I would consider if DH lost his job.  Licensing takes awhile and is quite a process from what I've read . . . 

• Tue, Aug 11 2009 11:16 AM In reply to

We paid $120/wk when DD was in infants room, with price going down a few dollars each time she moved up a room.  However, there were prices increases during that time, including two minimum wage increases.  I'm waiting for them to tell us that they need more money for the latest & final increase that went into effect lately. We are now at the lowest price of $113/week because she's in the oldest class and is potty trained. I figure by the time she's out (1 more year), we'll be paying the same amount we were when she couldn't hold her head up as we will when she is fully functional.

It sounds like a lot, but even at $120/wk, that's $24/day.  She's there 9 hrs. a day=less than $3/hr. 

Once she's in school, she'll have to go somewhere for a couple of hours after school before I can pick her up and during the summer..  We plan to do Boys and Girls Club.  I don't know the cost for that.

• Mon, Aug 17 2009 2:36 PM In reply to

I am currently expecting our first child in Minneapolis, MN.  Looks like private daycare would be about $300/4 days per week, church groups more like $240/week, or in-home runs from $130-$180 for 4 days/week

Spenddy, huh?  I wonder about whether cloth diapers are really an option working FT outside the home?  Only one daycare accepts cloth in my area!

• Mon, Aug 17 2009 4:06 PM In reply to

I think for private in home care for my infant, I paid around 350.00 a week.  As she got older, costs got cheaper.  I now pay about 320.00 a month for before and afterschool care - she is 10.  I pay it in one lump sum during the winter and then again, pay for summer in one lump sum.

But... during infancy and as a toddler, it went to about 800.00 a month and when she got out of kindergarten, things got a little better.  It is still no picnic.  Kids are expensive!  Worth every penny, but expensive!  I believe that she will always be in some kind of care because if you leave them alone, you are asking for it! 

;-)

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Mon, Aug 17 2009 4:16 PM In reply to

$800/mo ten years ago,eh?

R you in Minnesota, as well?

It's *almost* not worth working, except I need the darned insurance (albeit it's rather crummy insurance)!

• Mon, Aug 17 2009 6:55 PM In reply to

I actually think it was more than that, it was about 1000.00.  It was hard as a single mom~  I don't know how people do it either, I def. wracked up some debt during those years. 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Wed, Aug 19 2009 8:15 AM In reply to

• alecian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2008
    • Posts 5

Hello,

I enjoyed reading everyone's posts - Childcare is a HUGE expense.  I live in Connecticut. My son has been in childcare since he was 3 months old. The childcare facility is on my work's campus.  At one point it cost me over $10,000 per year (VERY difficult to do as a single mom, but the quality of care he recieves at daycare is excellent).

he is in preschool now at the same center and it costs $160/ for the 4 days he attends ($8,320/year). I am lucky to have my mom who watches hime one day a week so that does save me money.  Once he is all said and done with this childcare facility, I estimate I'll have paid over $50,000 - and that's WITH an employee discount!

Page 2 of 5 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us