Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Decluttering my home.

Last post Sun, Aug 23 2009 10:16 PM by MarthaMFI. 54 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (55 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 30 2008 9:37 PM In reply to

Re: Decluttering my home.

kitekrazy:

I know what to get rid of but how is the toughest part. 

I heartily second using Freecycle if there is a group set up already near your area. I live in a rural area and we still have a Freecycle group nearby (actually several that overlap). I've not used Craig's List myself, but that's another option many people have recommended. Depending on what you have to give away, you might donate it towards an organization's future garage sale, like a Scout Troop or a church or a shelter or what-have-you. Don't forget many thrift stores take donations, and if you donate it by the end of the day tomorrow and get a receipt: tax write-off!

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 9:45 PM In reply to

Speaking of Freecycle, I got to meet with the woman today who was taking away the bulk of the books I was offering (nine boxes for her). She was so tickled. Even while we were putting boxes in her trunk, she kept going through the top layers saying, "Oh, my granny would love this," and "My son will eat this up," and "Wow, there's a neat idea for a book," and "We can use this for school." She was practically dancing, she was so happy.

Many of those books I have loved, but I had several copies of (Shakespeare, literary anthologies, some children's books). Some of them are books I got for free or very cheap, but have never, ever opened in 5 years or more. Some of them were romances that people passed on to me because they know I love to read, even though I don't read romances! (It's always romances for some reason! Stick out tongue) So even though I cut many, many books from our library, I don't really feel I sacrificed anything.

I can walk into my laundry room, though! That's where about five boxes of these books were stacked and blocking a cupboard!

~~~~

~ Lewis Carroll

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 9:49 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Joyous:
    but I had several copies of (Shakespeare, literary anthologies, some children's books

You were every homeschooler's dream and didn't even know it!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 9:51 PM In reply to

Brandy:
     I like the motivation to stick to routines. I am still struggling to develop new ones and stick to them.

When I keep up with the swish-and-swipe, and the shiny-sink routine, they help tremendously. Once the bathroom is clean, swish-and-swipe really only takes about 3 minutes a day. The problem is, with me, keeping up with it.

I really like the routines because they're about changing habits and changing mindsets. I was leafing through one of the Living on a Dime books today, and I noticed more than helpful tips on baking soda or ways to save gas, the book was emphasizing that you have to have the right mindset to be frugal. You have to be creative, to be willing to have different goals, to be willing to postpone immediate gratification, to have a big picture, to be patient. I think the FlyLady system can do that for people in their homekeeping; change mindsets, change habits, and I think the routines are one of the best ways to do that.

The FlyLady routines generally have not stuck longer than 3 months or so with me because, I think, I try to do too many of them at once, rather than gradually building them on habit-by-habit, as she recommends. Perhaps that can be my resolution.

~~~~

~ Lewis Carroll

Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 30 2008 9:59 PM In reply to

Brandy:

You were every homeschooler's dream and didn't even know it!

GeekedNo, I knew it!Geeked That's actually part of why I had been holding on to some of these books. "One day" I would have kids, and "one day" they would be old enough to read some of these and "one day" I was going to teach them astronomy from the same college text I built my telescope from, etc. But I realized that if I had my first child in, say, 3 years, it would be another 5-8 years before they would be old enough to read many of the books I was keeping for them, and I had already been hanging on to them in odd boxes for several years. We're almost certainly going to move before then. Was it worth it to move hundreds of pounds of books unnecessarily, to box and store them and protect them from moths and mildew and all?

Between the easy accessibility of many of these works, the redundancy with the books I chose to keep, and the constant updating of science texts, I finally realized I'd rather know that there was a family that was benefitting from these books today than my future family in 10+ years.

~~~~

~ Lewis Carroll

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 10:09 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Joyous:
    Perhaps that can be my resolution.

That would be a good one.

My problem is my iron levels that sap my energy and frequent illnesses at certain times of the year. This can throw me off for weeks and even longer if they come too close together giving me too little time to catch up.

Once I am thrown off then it's hard to get back at it.

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 10:09 PM In reply to

• daylily
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 24 2008
    • Posts 68

We have so much stuff to go through :( I don't have much trouble getting rid of clothes but books are another story :) DH is the neighborhood Mr. Fix-it and he has everything anybody could possible need in the basement or the old mobile home. We used to live it the mobile home before we built the house and I would love to get rid of it. But we have to deal with all the stuff that's stored in it first.  We are hoping to get a lot of that done this winter.

daylily 

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 10:12 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Joyous:
    That's actually part of why I had been holding on to some of these books. "One day" I would have kids, and "one day" they would be old enough to read some of these and "one day" I was going to teach them astronomy from the same college text I built my telescope from, etc

Ahhhh, that makes sense. I hope when the time comes that you are able to find great books at fantastic prices.

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 10:14 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

daylily:
    he has everything anybody could possible need in the basement or the old mobile home.

By mobile home, do you mean one of those camper/travel trailers or what is now called a manufacured home?

• Wed, Dec 31 2008 8:02 AM In reply to

I was just thinking... does anyone else do a big declutter certain times of the year?  I've donated 1 small appliance and 1 box of stuff to a local thrift store that puts 100% of everything they make into programs for the homeless.  I have 3 boxes of DD's 3t clothes that I would like to take to the battered women's shelter (lots of young kids show up there with their moms) and I have 1 large box of old videos and a few sundry items.

I find it easy to get all this done b/c 1) I'm not at work this week and 2) I had to move a bunch of stuff around anyway to put the Christmas decorations up, making areas of my home more available than other times.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
Page 4 of 6 (55 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us