Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Garage and yard sales

Last post 07-05-2009 12:22 AM by MarthaMFI. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2007 11:12 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Garage and yard sales

I was browsing through Dollar Stretcher and came across this week's article on yard sales. There are some really good tactics there to keep from overspending. I would add that I print out a map to keep from backtracking and I keep within a certain area. With the price of gas, that saves quite a bit of money. It also saves time to have a plan before going. I sometimes use Mapquest or Google maps to make sure my route is the most efficient.

Have you come up with other money saving tactics when shopping garage sales? I'd like to hear them. (I'm planning on going tomorrow!)  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 07-13-2007 11:37 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Garage and yard sales

"Have you come up with other money saving tactics when shopping garage sales?"

Don't go? LOL!!

I miss yard sales. The ones here are not worth the bother. When I lived in La, I went frequently but it was hard not to come up with a lot of really nifty things just because they were so cheap and there.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-13-2007 11:38 AM In reply to

I like to look, decide on something without letting the seller know that I find her price to be fair (I might have to ask her for the price), go away until later, & then if the item is stillo there, see if I can get a lower price ("Would you take $X for this?")

There is a Jewish law against asking a merchant for a price if you are just looking, but I don't think it applies when one is seriously interested.  (Marcy,if you see this, please chime in!)

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 07-13-2007 11:49 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Brandy:
    Don't go? LOL!!

Well, that works. LOL  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 07-13-2007 11:51 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I don't know if I could pull off your method or not, but I might try!

Deborahmichelle:
    There is a Jewish law against asking a merchant for a price if you are just looking, but I don't think it applies when one is seriously interested.

I love that, very sensible.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 07-13-2007 11:56 AM In reply to

My husband and I yard sale every Saturday morning. It is our time together and kind of like a date Smile  Right now, since we are expecting our first granddaughter, I'm buying lots of baby clothing.  I have been going through things and getting organized so I know what else is needed.  I typically buy all my home appliances at yard sales.  This year has brought a toaster oven for .50 and a Krups coffee maker for $3.  I must confess that I am terrible at bartering!  I typically pay what they are asking.  If it is a larger item, I would surely dicker though.  We are still using a pretty dining room suite that I purchased for $150 18 years ago!  All our bedroom furniture, our spare bedroom furniture and our family room is all yard sale finds.  Our living room set and our kitchen table is all that's new in our home. 

Pat
  • 07-13-2007 12:39 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Goodness, you sound like me. One of my prize possessions is a living room chair bought at a garage sale for $15. It's a lot better quality than the new one we bought to go with it. I had it recovered and will probably have it the rest of my life.

I don't go to garage sales all the time because I've got everything I need (and then some), but now and then it's fun and I might find some gift worthy items, too.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 07-13-2007 9:15 PM In reply to

I have a really great chair too!  It is old and my husband didn't want it one little bit.  It was pretty hideous looking.  The fabric was awful, but the only upholstery is on the seat and back which are loose cushions.  The body is really beautiful hardwood with scrolled arms and legs.  We bought it for $3 at a barn sale ( I still had to talk my husband into it even at that price!).  I refinished the wood and paid my son's girl-friend to recover the cushions with upholstery fabric I found for $1 per yard.  Total cost was around $30 and it is one of my favorites.  It sits next to my woodstove and is my best cozy reading spot in the winter.  I have gotten many compliments on it through the years. 

Pat
  • 07-13-2007 9:26 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

That sounds like a really good buy! Mine cost more because I had to have it reupholstered professionally. It's a wing back, with claw footed legs and a tufted back. I had it done in red velvet, which went with the house I had then, but doesn't look quite as sharp here. Most of my furniture came from garage sales or second hand stores. It's a lot better quality than most furniture you can buy new. You make me jealous with your wood stove. I miss mine so much. The people across the alley have one and when the weather turns cool in the fall, I smell the wood smoke and about die with nostalgia! Big Smile

Did I go off topic? Stick out tongue 

Let me see... actually, we bought a wood stove at a garage sale one time. I'd forgotten about that. It wasn't very good and we didn't use it long, though.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 07-13-2007 9:28 PM In reply to

• Sile
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Stuck in PA
    • Posts 36

My DH and I try to hit as many yard/garage sales that we can during the summer time. All depending on what their add reads like in the local paper.

We love flea markets and sometimes, if its possible we try to go to an auction, if its close by.

Most of what I look for when going to theses are adding to my collection of Jackson China n Pfalsgraff, sometime baby blankets for our ferret cage (always looking for blankets for the ferrets), sometimes if their are estate sales I go just to see if I can get a breadmaker or carpet scrubber, so far I havent had any luck in either department.

Sile
    School Bus Drivers carry the Worlds Most Preciouse Cargo.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us