Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Best way to clean a shower stall and tub?

Last post Mon, Jan 25 2010 9:02 AM by Juneflower. 16 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 13 2008 10:01 PM In reply to

Re: Best way to clean a shower stall and tub?

Cute joke, Jenny!

I've used shampoo to clean the scum off the shower walls ... it will work, but it needs a bit of elbow grease.

Something else I just read about and tried ... if you use dryer sheets, wet a used one and use it to scrub the shower.  It does work on light gunk .. not so much on heavy gunk. 

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Sun, Dec 21 2008 12:31 PM In reply to

Pat:

haverwench:
    I've tried that on my tub, but it doesn't get rid of the thin film on the surface (I assume it's mostly dead skin cells). Nothing but scrubbing with a stiff brush seems to get that off.

It's probably soap scum. Use vinegar on it, straight. Give it a little time and the scum/film should come off in small clumps when you rub it.  

I don't think it's soap scum. I've tried vinegar on it and it made no impression. The annoying thing is that no matter how hard I scrub it--with baking soda, vinegar, bathroom soap--I never seem to get it all off. Even right after scrubbing it, if I run my fingernails along the bottom of the tub, they come away with this stuff under them. It doesn't feel soapy--I think it really is skin residue.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Sun, Dec 21 2008 5:06 PM In reply to

I use  "Bar Keepers Friend."  It is the only scrubbing powder I use now. I make sure the area is wet and then sprinkle it on and wait about ten minutes before I scrub. Takes alot less effort than anything else I have ever tried.  I started using is because I use a hair dye that works in 10 minutes so when it splashes in the sink or countertop it stains quickly. This stuff even takes that off. It cuts through hard water and rust stains too. I use it on any safe surface in the house.  I even used it on an antique glass serving dish I had inherited that had rust stains on it. Of course in that case I rubbed gently, but the rust was gone and the piece is gorgeous.
  • Sun, Dec 21 2008 5:37 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... The best way would be to teach hubby how to clean it well and make it his new Saturday chore, along with daily wipe-up ... But, I do not see that happening any time soon.

For the past six years, we have used Simple Green to clean just about every surface in our home. It is very concentrated and you only mix what you need with water in a squirt-bottle. Their website has many other recipes and uses. Also, here are two other homemade recipes that I still use all the time. 

Daily Shower Cleaner
    In a 32-ounce spray bottle, mix:
    1 cup white vinegar
    2 Tbsp. generic dishwasher rinse agent
    Fill the rest of the bottle with water - this recipe keeps my shower sparkling clean and mold/mildew free.

Bathroom Cleaner - Mix dishwashing liquid with baking soda until you have a thick paste and use this throughout your bathroom, or any other place in your home - this recipe works great on the tough spots.
  • Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:41 PM In reply to

• CindyKay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 18 2010
    • Posts 1

THIS WORKS INCREDIBLY FAST AND EASY!  I bought a huge old victorian house with ten (Yes! 10!!!) bathrooms.  I have all boys who, as you know, NEVERclean up after themselves!!! 

Buy a long-handled extension brush that Walmart sells to wash the roof of your car.  It should have a brush about 8-10 inches long and about 4-5 inches wide.  Medium bristles (not too soft or too hard) about 2-3 inches long.  Then, wet your tub and shower with the shower spray.  Turn off the water and squirt AJAX GRAPEFRUIT scented DISH SOAP around the shower and tub.  I can scrub the whole tub enclosure in about 1 minute.  Rinse.  DOES AN A M A Z I N G JOB!!!!  You won't believe how fast and the sparkle is fantastic!!!!  The bathroom smells fantastic when you're done! 

Forget the expensive sprays and all that work!  Dish soap also works FANTASTIC on skin blackheads!  I have an awesome technique that got all my kids through the adolescent years without any blemishes!

• Mon, Jan 18 2010 6:51 PM In reply to

• CAJudi
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 26 2009
    • California
    • Posts 91

Thanks, I think I will try this. I'm pretty sure we have some extra spray bottles already.

kb999999:

Hi ... The best way would be to teach hubby how to clean it well and make it his new Saturday chore, along with daily wipe-up ... But, I do not see that happening any time soon.

For the past six years, we have used Simple Green to clean just about every surface in our home. It is very concentrated and you only mix what you need with water in a squirt-bottle. Their website has many other recipes and uses. Also, here are two other homemade recipes that I still use all the time. 

Daily Shower Cleaner
    In a 32-ounce spray bottle, mix:
    1 cup white vinegar
    2 Tbsp. generic dishwasher rinse agent
    Fill the rest of the bottle with water - this recipe keeps my shower sparkling clean and mold/mildew free.

Bathroom Cleaner - Mix dishwashing liquid with baking soda until you have a thick paste and use this throughout your bathroom, or any other place in your home - this recipe works great on the tough spots.

• Mon, Jan 25 2010 9:02 AM In reply to

An old lady told me to use about 1/4 cup of green Palmolive dish detergent and then fill the spray bottle to the top with sudsy ammonia.  Leave it on for 15 minutes or so, then wash off.  It's not asthma-friendly but it works well.

Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us