Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Orange Pomanders - an easy nature craft

Last post Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:26 AM by MarthaMFI. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 5 2008 7:31 PM

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Orange Pomanders - an easy nature craft

Orange pomanders are a simple nature craft to make now for holiday decorating. The smell beautifully, and can be hung or displayed in a pretty basket.

Here is what you need:

1. an unpeeled orange (also try lemon, grapefruit, tangerine, but I think orange smells best)

2. a small nail or large needle - for poking holes in the skin

3. whole cloves - look for these in the Mexican food aisle or order online - they will be cheaper this way. Buy in bulk as you will need quite a few.

4. Spices - ground cinnamon, ground cloves, about 3 tbs each per orange. Or use what every combination of fine dried herbs you like.

5. Orris root powder - this can be found where they sell potpourri supplies or order online.  San Francisco Herb company sells it, www.sfherb.com They are also a good source for inexpensive herb and spices. Orris root powder is a natural substance made from an iris bulb.

6. some pretty ribbon - if hanging it up.

Mix your spices with the orris root powder, set aside

This is a messy, drippy craft so you might want to lay out newspaper and cover it with a towel to catch the drips.

What you are going to do is use the nail to pierce the skin of the orange, and then insert  the stem of one whole clove into the hole.  Cover the orange with the whole cloves, leaving a space of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch between cloves. You can make a star pattern or a swirl pattern or use your imagination, as long as most of the orange is covered.  If you are going to hang it with ribbon, then leave 4 blank spaces from top to bottom evenly spaced around the orange, so that the ribbon can lay flat in these spaces. More on the ribbon later.  Then take your spice mixture and sprinkle it thickly all over the orange, completely covering the peel. Now set your pomander in a cool dry place to dry out, then in a couple of weeks it will be ready. 

Ribbon: Use 2 strands of a pretty ribbon or lace and criss-cross the two pieces at the bottom, bring the 4 strands up thru the blank spaces between the cloves and tie in a bow at the top. You could tuck in sprigs of pine or holly to make it pretty.  Make a loop hanger with heavy thread or more ribbon and hang up.

Instead of hanging you can make several and display in a pretty basket or glass bowl.

A suggestion here: when I made them my finger got sore from pushing the clove into the orange, as the bud of the clove is sort of prickly, so if you have an old pair of cotton gloves that you can cut off a finger, put this over your index finger or thumb and it might help with pushing in the cloves.

These smell heavenly and really add to the ambience of the holidays. Enjoy

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Wed, Nov 5 2008 7:44 PM In reply to

Re: Orange Pomanders - an easy nature craft

I've made these since I was a child. I found that an ice pick helped with making holes in the orange skin.

They last for years.

• Thu, Nov 6 2008 11:40 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Another tip to protect your finger and help push in the cloves - wear a thimble. It will make the pushing very easy.  Edey

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

• Thu, Nov 6 2008 6:23 PM In reply to

I have a co-worker who gives everyone in the department a bushel of grapefruit for Christmas. Lots of folks pass them on because they don't like grapefruit, or can't figure out what to do with a whole bushel. This means some Christmases I end up with 3 or 4 bushels of grapefruit. I think I'll trying making a pomander this year.
    ~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• Fri, Nov 7 2008 5:55 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I have a very pretty, but old grapefruit tree that for some reason has the worst tasting fruit. About the only good thing for their use is to put the peels in a pot for potpourri or for making these pomanders. Otherwise they just get put into recycle.  Of lemons, oranges, tangerines and grapefruit, can you guess which has the sweetest smelling blossoms in early spring?  Yep, the grapefruit. The big black bumblebees like it too. Edey

• Fri, Nov 7 2008 5:59 PM In reply to

Have you tried making candied grapefruit peel?

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• Fri, Nov 7 2008 9:45 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Not grapefruit peel but I've done orange peel, last year if I remember right.  Didn't come out all that well. The squirrels and birds love the grapefruit and tangerines, but won't touch the lemons. There had been a neighborhood raccoon too, that was munching on them for awhile.  E.

• Wed, Dec 9 2009 11:30 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

bumping up for xmas

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, Dec 10 2009 12:35 AM In reply to

problem here love oranges and grapefruit but the craft is easy to do I will have my niece do that she is doing craft stuff for the girl scouts and she needs a merit badge on something like thi so this will be easy for her to do...

• Wed, Mar 28 2012 2:36 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

bumping up ..Edey has good ideas.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us