Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Price of Second Hand Furniture

Last post 10-13-2008 10:58 PM by MarthaMFI. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-13-2008 10:26 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Price of Second Hand Furniture

While I was making my rounds in thrift stores this past week, I decided to check the prices of furniture....

OUCH!

I am shocked at what they think used stuff is worth. Not only used but worn looking items like scratched dressers with the finish flaking in spots or coffee tables with water damage warping were selling for $50-$80.

Is this pricing insanity common in your area as well?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-13-2008 11:33 AM In reply to

Re: Price of Second Hand Furniture

YES! 

My only furniture purchase in the last two years was a new bookcase, the store has since gone out of business, for $40.  It would have been the same at the thrift store, for some cruddy one!  

I have gotten a few more shelves from the street, set out for free.  

I don't even bother looking at furniture at thrift stores, it is overpriced and generally very old and ugly.   I would rather wait until we have more money and go to IKEA, about 4 miles away, for inexpensive but fun furniture.  That is where we bought a little dresser for dd age 4 when she was born, about $70, it's fun with frosted panels.  We went there for a lamp for oldest dd's dorm, $7.  

Is there anywhere you can get new inexpensive, hopefully not pressed wood but real wood furniture there?  

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• 10-13-2008 12:06 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I would say the furniture I saw was old. One dresser was the type I had as a teen and it was priced at $80. I recognised several other pieces as items from the 70s and 80s, all $50 and over.

Real wood comes with a price here. I haven't checked the unfinished furniture store yet but last time I was in one, that seemed the best way to get real wood pieces at lower prices.

• 10-13-2008 12:07 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I've picked up a few very good pieces of used furniture at garage sales. Older furniture (I mean 50 years ago or older) will outlast anything made today with the possible exception of some very, very expensive pieces. I haven't shopped for furniture in a long time so I don't know what the prices are around here. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 10-13-2008 12:18 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    Older furniture (I mean 50 years ago or older) will outlast anything made today with the possible exception of some very, very expensive pieces

I have a dresser and vanity set that was from my Mom's childhood. It needs to be restained but the wood itself is in very good condition. I would be willing to pay those high second hand prices for something like this because it's a cheap repair and the furniture will last another lifetime. I have had and tossed furniture pieces that were similar to what was being sold. It's not the same quality as those old pieces.

• 10-13-2008 12:32 PM In reply to

Here, too, they put outrageous prices on furniture that should have been left at the curb Stick out tongue.  

Dd24 just got her own place and bought a used futon at the local thrift store for $80.00.  It was fairly clean, but 2 weeks later, I found an extra-nice wooden futon at a yard sale for $25.00.  Wish she would've slept on the floor a few weeks...

Entertainment centers regularly go there for 50-80 bucks.  Dressers, $50.00 and up.  And most of the furniture is just old, not antique.  Anything they have that's upholstered smells like cigarettes and stale f*rts.

Dd has been doing quite a bit of dumpster diving and regales me with long lists of finds.  She dived one of those old, large 2-level corner coffee tables from the 50's.  I asked her where she found it and she said Goodwill's dumpster!  I haven't seen it yet, but if they threw it out.....it must be pretty bad.  Liz

• 10-13-2008 4:32 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

The high prices are the same here, most often in the chain thrift stores. Typically a stuffed chair is $75.00, couches anywhere from $125.00 to $250.00. Sometimes they will have a 50% off day and then the prices don't seem so bad. However if you miss that day and come the next and the piece is still there - it's right back up again. That seems like a dumb way to run a thrift store.

The privately owned stores seem to have better prices, meaning ones owned by clubs, or Senior groups, or schools. If I was donating I would give to these groups, as the chains seem to have a racket going.

Antique stores, which most often don't have antiques but second hand level stuff - think what they have is almost priceless and tag it accordingly. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 10-13-2008 6:38 PM In reply to

Agreed.  The prices are high here too for stuff that is not great quality and not in very good condition.

I haven't bought any furniture recently but have browsed on craigs list for an entertainment unit for the living room.  There seemed to be some decent prices there, plus a lot of selection.  But it depends how good the craigs list is in your area . . . ours is pretty good.  And most people are willing to negotiate too.  I think from what I have seen, the prices on craigs list are better than the thrift stores I have been in here.

• 10-13-2008 10:16 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I like Craigslist also. I've found more sewing machines to fix up there than on e-bay. So far I've met good people with each sale, no kooks or scary people. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 10-13-2008 10:58 PM In reply to

here there is quite a range of low cost good deals to totally overpriced.  Allways free couches, coffee tables and entertainment units on craigslist.   funny enough value village is not the high price store..the sally ann is up and down and especially the spca thrift store is nuts about pricing. 

I have pick up antique chairs and dressers from 10 - 25 dollars.  need some work but worth it!   The last piece of furniture was a nice wooden kids rocking chair given to us by friends who's kids are teens now.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us