Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Help! My Husband's Work Boots Stink!!

Last post Wed, Feb 9 2011 8:12 PM by saramwks. 21 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 15 2008 2:08 PM In reply to

Re: Help! My Husband's Work Boots Stink!!

I would probably use a combination of things; drastic times call for drastic measures, lol.  On the next warm, sunny day he's off from work, remove the laces from the boots, pull the tongues forward to "open up" the shoe and set them on the deck in the warm sunshine.  Then bring them in late that evening and put the baking soda or fabric softener sheet in overnight.

Carol
    western NC
  • Wed, Oct 15 2008 4:15 PM In reply to

• dolly77
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 27 2007
    • Way Down South
    • Posts 295

Thanks for all the suggestions!  It's nice to know others deal with stinky problems, too!  lol

I tried stuffing the boots with newspaper but that didn't absorb the smell.  I'm really going to work on them this weekend, putting them out in the sun, using baking soda, buying odor eaters, etc.

My worry is that now DH has to travel for business next week.  He will wear regular shoes on the airplane and pack his boots with work clothes and regular clothes.  I'm scared his stinky boots will stink up everything he packs.  They don't actually stink when he is wearing them.

He is going to take the boots back and complain, except he didn't get them from a store---His company has a "boot truck" that comes about once every 8 weeks where employees can buy their boots.  Don't worry--the empoyees get paid a special "adder" to be compensated for things like work boots, clothes, glasses, and tools.

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 4:49 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

dolly77:
    He will wear regular shoes on the airplane and pack his boots with work clothes and regular clothes.  I'm scared his stinky boots will stink up everything he packs.

Have him put them in doubled plastic bags when they're packed. That should keep the odor from getting into anything else.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sun, Oct 19 2008 10:00 AM In reply to

If he can get two pairs of boots and alternate them, it will reduce moisture and mildew.  Leather is notorious for mildew and the boot company may be purchasing mildewed hides to cut costs.  

I have "feet from hell" and even if they don't stink, clean sox every day, etc., if my shoes get wet they will smell worse than skunk farts. Does his job require him to have wet feet?  

As a last resort, you can spray the insides of the shoes with Clorox, but it adds its own special funk to the mix.

• Sun, Oct 19 2008 5:21 PM In reply to

I have had odor problems with shoes and boots if I wear them without socks. What works for me is to sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda in the shoe/boot, then move it around so everything is covered. Leave a reasonable amount coating inside, and remove excess to the other shoe/boot.

Wear the shoes/boots as normal and the foul odor will be gone on the first day. The only issue is when you go to remove them from your feet. You must have a rug or carpet strip designed to accept mud so you can dust off your socks or remove them before proceeding into the house.

After a few applications, the odor should be gone and you won't have to do this until it shows up again.

Also, be careful when showering because the residual baking soda can make it a bit slippery until the baking soda is washed off your feet.

Clair

http://www.frugal-living-freedom.com
    ...living well, and well within your means...

http://www.self-reliance-works.com
    Personal satisfaction through self directed achievement.
  • Sun, Oct 19 2008 6:24 PM In reply to

• jcrmom
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2008
    • Posts 904

My brther has a problem with his feet sweating in his steel toe boots. He uses Gold Bond foot powder in his boots about once a week.Then he uses baking soda a couple of times a week.

• Sat, Oct 25 2008 11:08 PM In reply to

• ebunni
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 19 2007
    • Posts 152

sprinkle baking soda in them..soon as he takes them off...and just leave the baking soda in there...or sprnkle some in there in the a.m...

I had the stinkiest feet and shoes in the country for years..then I tried baking soda...I put it in my shoes, I put it in my socks...and I kept using it...Idon't know how long...a week?  a month???  all I know is it cured the stinkiness..

I did as the one poster said...sprinkled the baking soda in the shoe, moved it all around and dumped the remainder in the other shoe, any excess I just dumped out...solved my problem

• Mon, Oct 27 2008 4:32 AM In reply to

latenightleader:
    I took them skating today, when my 14 yo son took his sweatshirt off and climbed in the car, I almost passed out.  I ask them two or three times a day, did you put on deoderant? Go do it again.

teen bo, to battle this have them lather up with antibacterial soap over their whole body with out washing off for a few mins this will kill the bacteria that cause bo and will also help with body acne. tell them to put on deoderant after showering even though they are just going to bed. and then again in the morning befor school. this has helped alot in my house one less stink to deal with!

cyn

• Tue, Oct 28 2008 9:03 AM In reply to

I think it's just the boots themselves. I had a pair of sneakers one time and the whole time I was wearing them, could smell them. It was awful. I agree with the poster who suggested trying to exchange the boots for a new pair since your dh didn't have a problem with the last pair.

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 1:55 PM In reply to

• needsbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 24 2010
    • Posts 1

PUT KITTY LITTER IN A STOCKING AND LEAVE IT IN THE BOOTS OVERNIGHT. USE THE CLUMPING LITTER. IT WILL ABSORB THE ODOR.
Page 2 of 3 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us