Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Weather Stripping Questions

Last post 10-10-2008 10:57 AM by dmc_2008. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2008 10:04 AM

Weather Stripping Questions

I have noticed a huge gap in my front door and so I went online and did some research and found some videos how to weather strip.  I will post the link here later for you all. 

So. Today, after I go to the gym  I am going to the Home Depot to pick some up.  I am going to get the peel and stick kind for my door and the putty kind for my sliding doors, (I have two).

My question is:  On my front door I notice the kind of stripping that goes all the way around (metal with a rubber lip).  It is not in good shape.  I think if I take it off it will look really bad, so I think I should just leave it on.  Or... should I replace it?  Is it hard to replace???  Is it much more expensive than the peel and stick?

I plan on buying little insulator pads for my light switches too.  Does anyone have any ideas what else to use beside those store bought ones, or even how much they are?  Maybe I will just do a few at a time.

Any other handy ways to shore up my drafty old condo would be greatly appreciated.  Please remember I am not a handy girl, just someone who can't pay to have these things done by someone, so needs to be simple and cheap!  ;-)

Thanks!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• 10-10-2008 10:14 AM In reply to

Re: Weather Stripping Questions

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Caulk_and_Weather_Strip-Weatherizing-A1546-2.html

Here is the site, I can't find the exact video I watched.  But this is an awesome site if you are a do it yourself person.  I am a visual learner!

Hope this site is handy for you. 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• 10-10-2008 10:16 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

When you say it doesn't look good, what do you mean? Is it not pretty, or is it bent and twisted or has tears in it? If it's still in one piece and reasonably straight, I'd leave it alone. It's a little bigger project to replace than the peel and stick kind. 

There's some advice here that will help: Winterize for Savings

but you won't be able to use all of it. Pay close attention to your windows because they let in a lot of cold. If you don't have insulated drapes, add another layer to them and be sure they're closed during the coldest part of the day/night. Close off rooms that don't need to be heated all day (bedrooms, closets, etc.) and use draft stoppers if you need to, to keep warm air where it belongs. You can open the bedrooms an hour before bedtime and they'll warm up.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 10-10-2008 10:57 AM In reply to

Hi there,
    The weather stripping doesn't look good - it seems to be warped and the
    rubber part is cracked and splitting.  Its old.  Really old.  I am going to
    leave it.  Whats another few years and if I can get the peel and stick to do
    the trick, I will be happy!

Thanks for the link!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us