Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How do you store bananas? Gnat problem

Last post Wed, Oct 8 2008 9:44 AM by Kate. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 7 2008 3:20 PM

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 26 2007
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

How do you store bananas? Gnat problem

I'm having problems storing bananas. Mine are attracting gnats. I've got a homemade gnat trap set out that is catching alot but I've got to get rid of where they are feeding and breeding. The trash is emptied every night and no dirty dishes are left out. What is attracting them is the bananas which I have sitting out on a wire 3 shelf cart. Once my bananas start to ripen, I bake with them. I saw a dozen gnats by the bananas today. I put the ripening bananas in a plastic storage container with a lid but afraid they'll ripen even faster now. Can you store them in the fridge? I don't want them to ripen faster, just store them in such a way as to stop attracting all the gnats. I cleaned out the homemade gnat trap and set it out again. (Posted the link in another thread, but it's a plastic bottle with apple cider vinegar, sugar and water in it). My boys eat the yellow bananas and whatever is left once they start to ripen and spot I cook with. I don't want to toss the bananas but cook with them, but I'm tired of them drawing all these gnats. I'm trying to get rid of the lil bugs and have googled alot online. I've even poured veg oil down the sink drains at night to coat the water so gnats can't live in there.

I need any help and suggestions on both how to get rid of the gnats and how to store the bananas which is what seems to be attracting them the most.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

http://community.webshots.com/user/katestitching
  • Tue, Oct 7 2008 5:47 PM In reply to

Re: How do you store bananas? Gnat problem

I get gnats occasionally but not where it's really problematic.  I have thrown yellow bananas in the fridge for a few days and they've kept ok without spoiling.  If you find that your bananas are going brown faster than you can use them you can put the in the freezer peel and all and they will keep really well.  I've been doing this for years and then just pull out the banana when I need it and let it thaw on the counter or in a bit of warm water, they peel protects the fruit perfectly.

I've seen infomercials for those "green bags" which are supposedly supposed to keep produce fresher longer.  I've seen them put bananas in them, that might be a option since they are supposed to slow down the ripening process.  I've not tried them, they are kinda pricey and we tend to eat produce fast enough in our house where that isn't an issue.

I don't know if I would recommend pouring veggie oil down your pipes to help with the gnats.  Eventually the oil will coagulate and it might block your pipes, especially if you live in a home with older pipes (like me!).  Mabye try pouring some baking soda and vinegar down instead?  It'll help to clear out whatever food scraps are left in the drain that the gnats are looking for.

Good luck!

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Oct 7 2008 8:59 PM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

mommatothree:
     I don't know if I would recommend pouring veggie oil down your pipes to help with the gnats. 

The article I read said to put just 2 TBsp of oil in the drain as oil and water don't mix and the oil will float on top, and the gnats need the standing water to breed. By putting the small amount of oil in the drain, it prevents that. It also said you could use ammonia but I don't have any. In the morning I'm running some hot water down the drain to rinse the oil out. I was hoping by trapping them and emptying the trap and removing the bugs I'd get rid of the problem. But just when I thought most were gone, a saw a dozen flying around when I bumped the plastic rack the bananas were stored in and they weren't that ripe. So I still have to do something to get rid of them and I don't want to completely get rid of bananas in the house.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

• Tue, Oct 7 2008 10:43 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

ugh we just went though that season.  always seems to be a week of that at the end of the summer.   gnats or fruit flies.  I squash them. They have short life spans so there is always a few flying about.  cooler weather kills them off too.

I heard/read that if you separate the bananas (not keeping them attached in a bunch) they ripen slower.  haven't tried it.  

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Oct 7 2008 11:03 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... If you buy bananas that are not 'ripe' yet, just leave out on the counter for a few days and once they are 'ripe', place unpeeled into the refrigerator - the cold makes the banana 'not-ripen' anymore; the skins will turn brown, but the banana will be good for up to two-week (depending on the 'ripeness'). Also, freezing bananas in their skins works great, too. Just remove what you need - frozen makes great smoothies and thawed bananas can be added to baking.

Gnats have already layed their eggs on your fruit at the store, then you bring it home, the gnats develop and start the cycle again - gnats live about 10 days and breed a plenty!  Remove their water and food source - including taking care of potted plants, and hopefully, this will help your problem.

• Tue, Oct 7 2008 11:04 PM In reply to

If they're fruit flies, the eggs come in on the bananas and hatch when conditions are right; they're not coming in afterwards.  Rinsing bananas when you get them home from the store will help.  Otherwise, leaving no food exposed anywhere (close up your trash can at night) will get rid of them in a few days...Liz

• Wed, Oct 8 2008 9:44 AM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

Thanks ladies. The bananas do seem to be the problem. The gnat trap is catching the gnats and/or fruit flies and I keep emptying it but I always have bananas in the house so they keep coming back. I'll start rinsing the bananas and putting ripe ones in the fridge and see if that helps. I've already been taking the trash out each night and not leaving any dirty dishes in the sink but it wasn't enough.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us