Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cleaning grout

Last post Wed, Nov 12 2008 4:52 PM by Joyous. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 3:10 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cleaning grout

I need to clean the grout on our kitchen and bathroom floors. I got some great direction and ideas for our wood floors so...what do you suggest for a rough stone tile floor?

I am editing to add that I'd really like to find non commercial/low chemical solutions to try.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Oct 1 2008 3:41 PM In reply to

Re: Cleaning grout

(From Cmouse, who's dh runs a tile cleaning/restoration company):

*** n Span or Mr Clean.  Anything that is alkaline (non-acidic). Do NOT use vinegar (acidic) or bleach (caustic) as both will eventually damage your grout.

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 3:41 PM In reply to

Ugh. Grout. I was able to get our bathroom grout sparkling clean but this was wall tile, not floor tile. And I did use bleach, which I know is something you don't really like to use. But I found a tiny bit of bleach goes a long way.

In an old plastic margarine container I mixed a couple tablespoons of bleach and enough baking soda to form a paste. I used more baking soda than bleach, maybe 1/2 a cup? Using an old toothbrush, I applied the mixture on my grout and gently scrubbed. I let it sit 5 or so minutes and then used a rag and warm water to wipe it all off. My grout was so clean!

But this recipe does use bleach and it may be too harsh for what you are looking for. But it was very frugal!

Erika
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 3:55 PM In reply to

I used X-14, sprayed, closed the door for 10 minutes, went back and clean.  This was bathroom wall tile, though, and some mildew was apparent (no exhaust fan).

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 5:11 PM In reply to

I use a vapor steamer. 

The initial cost is more than a bottle of cleaning liquid (mine was $150 and home units go up to in the 3-4 thousand range) but I use the machine on everything -- even humidity in the winter.  I heat the machine, spray on the lines, use a bbq brush on hard stains, then wipe with a towel.  Actually most of the time I don't do it.  The kids love it.  If they want to buy a dvd or game, that is how they get it.  In our house it is a win-win.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 5:13 PM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,065

I find that using a steam cleaner gets my grout very clean. It lasts for six months and is non-toxic. 

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 5:26 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Before you go out and buy something, try half dish soap and half water with a toothbrush or small scrub brush. We used that on wall tile when I worked in motels and it did a great job. I don't know how well it will work on floor grout, but it would be cheap to try. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 11:27 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

great idea!  My mom got one of those steamers from sally ann in the box.  She wanted one for a long time and found it at her price cheap!  I have to borrow it and do our floor grout in the bathroom and kitchen.  though me and steam are not a good mix.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Oct 6 2008 2:05 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The dish soap did not get the grout entirely to the original color but it looks much better and it was very cheap and less toxic than commercial grout cleaner. 

For others who have grout to clean, The Dollar Stretcher has an article up on it

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 12 2008 4:52 PM In reply to

Another bleach-based idea that I found very effective. It is NOT Earth-friendly, however.

Wearing rubber gloves (oh boy, you can already tell this is going to be bad), dip a few paper towels in a mild bleach/water solution. Hang these against the wall where the gross grout is (for wall grout, obviously). Leave it. Come back in an hour or longer and the grout is gorgeous. All you have to do is spray off the disintergrated paper towel.

I like this better than using spray stuff which I feel like gets everywhere. This way I have much more control over the area.

Has anyone tried the vinegar/baking soda solution? If that works well, I'd probably prefer that. I'm trying to wean myself from bleach.

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us