Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

newspaper rollers

Last post Wed, Dec 24 2008 4:21 PM by billea. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 17 2008 12:58 PM

newspaper rollers

My husband and I now get a daily newspaper. We are in our 70's and enjoy the time spent with coffe, tea and a paper. We would like to roll the papers for winter fuel. What is the best roller to buy?  We wonder if we can also insert bills and items that we might otherwise shred?

Thanks and blessings

dianamarillyn@gmail.com

• Thu, Sep 18 2008 8:57 AM In reply to

• Lindai37
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 18 2008
    • Posts 5

Re: newspaper rollers

What a great idea.  To be honest, I dont have a suggestion for a roller, however, I DO have another useful idea.  Many times, I will have a bottle of vegetable oil (or sometimes shortening that I no longer use due to cholesterol problems) that has gone rancid and no longer want to cook with it.  We have found that it makes an EXCELLANT fire starter and it burns slowly for our bonfires.  You dont have to use a WHOLE lot and you may incorporate this idea for your newspaper rolls.  : )

• Thu, Sep 18 2008 9:32 AM In reply to

I didn't know there were multiple brands.  Have just seen a black one with a hand crank.  It was at a thrift store, so no box or anything.

Lynnea the Dogmom
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Sep 19 2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

you all must that newspaper logs or brick leave Huge amount of ash in they will smolder snuff your fire..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sat, Sep 20 2008 11:59 PM In reply to

Does it make more sense to recycle the paper and try to get some free firewood off Freecycle?

Welcome to the forums!   

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• Sun, Oct 5 2008 12:41 PM In reply to

I have seen those rollers online on Ebay and in 2nd hand stores.  They run from a few dollars to $40 for the wrought iron ones that you hand crank into a log roll.  I've seen them called NEWSPAPER LOG ROLLERS.  I even Googled it last year and found some sites that show you how to make your own without the roller, and using paper towel cardboard tubes.  I made a few for our chiminea and they work good to get a fire started.  Usually what I do is take a cardboard tube and some wet newspapers and start rolling around the tube and tucking it in the tube to hold it.  You can add, like one poster said, some old oil (not too much) or like me a little piece of fatwood inside the tube to help it burn.  Then let them dry thoroughly and light them up and get all warm and cozy.  I don't know if I would use them for indoors, unless they were small and just to get the firewood started.  I have recently found someone who is willing to help me install a woodstove I have in exchange for my using my truck to haul some firewood for him on craigslist and freecycle.  I find plenty of posts for free firewood on there too.  I don't see why anyone would ever have to pay for firewood around here with so many people offering you their leftover trees.  But you have to go get it, load it and sometimes have to do a little cutting yourself.  I just pick the pieces that with fit in what I have and use some for our bonfire pit.Hope this helps you!

• Tue, Nov 4 2008 4:54 PM In reply to

hi, I am curious as to how many people would use newspaper rolls in their indoor wood stove/fireplace. I was thinking of selling them. What do u think?

Life is what you make it, sometimes
  • Wed, Dec 24 2008 4:21 PM In reply to

• billea
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 9 2008
    • Posts 26

Interesting, I had never heard of this before...

Lehmans has one for $39:  lehmans.com

King of the money saving tips...er, well, trying to find ways to save money anyhow.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us