Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Nice, frugal wedding present?

Last post Mon, Jun 6 2011 7:11 PM by cheapChic. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (34 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 11:08 AM

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

Nice, frugal wedding present?

I have VERY little money right now, and a good friend is getting married.

Any ideas?

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 11:38 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Nice, frugal wedding present?

I just did a shower gift for my friend, 43 and getting married for the first time. I bought a walgreens reusable bag and filled it with cleaning supplies. She is moving into his apt. It would be good for a shower but maybe not for a wedding. Im always bad with these things. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 11:44 AM In reply to

If you live close by, you could make her up a really nice book of service coupons for things you could do. Things like house cleaning, lawn mowing, pet watching, any special services you do personally like painting or sewing/mending, and services you can think of that they migt need, etc. Tie it with ribbons and wrap it nicely, etc. Its' a HUGE value because many of the services are expensive, and will be appreciated by newlyweds. Plus, it's a personal touch showing you really thought of them.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 11:45 AM In reply to

Some couples don't want picture frames b/c it is such a popular gift but my DH and I used every frame given to us for our wedding photos, honeymoon photos and now, family and baby photos. Frames can be inexpensive and look beautiful. Mabye pair it with an inexpensive candle.

We also got some wonderful bottles of wine. You can get a nice bottle for around $7-$10. Pair it with 2 wine glasses from the dollar store and a gift for less than $10. Or a bottle of champagne would be nice to "toast" the new home.

Erika
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 11:48 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

You don't say what your limit is. I will say a gift card in a nice card only because it eliminates wrapping and a bow. Does your friend know money is tight for you right now?
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 12:15 PM In reply to

Is your friend close by? 

One thing I did was help out with things at the wedding/reception.  It could save her money and you'd be remembered too for helping out.

If she's not close by... I would say find a poem or write one and frame it. 

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 1:33 PM In reply to

For one friend I made an Italian dinner gift basket; the basket was a stainless steel collander (wal-mart was cheapest) with a red and white towel laid in it.  I then added a jar of sauce, some pasta (if you have a jar at home, you can move the pasta to the jar and tie some ribbon on it to make it pretty), a couple of non-scented candles, a decadent chocolate bar for dessert... you get the idea.  I think I put this together for about $10-12. If you have more money, you can add a very nice but inexpensive bottle of wine (think Trader Joe's for this) and still keep the total price well under $20.  Box it up, wrap it, and add a note about having a romantic dinner at home just the two of them after the rush and flurry of the wedding and/or honeymoon is over.

Another thing I did, and I've noticed that no one else ever seems to do this, was to frame their wedding invitation.  A frame by its lonesome isn't too expensive and the invitations normally have a design on them so you don't have to have a mat.  Just pop it in a box and wrap it pretty when you're all done.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 1:42 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

a small crate Iput in two kitchen towel two oven mitts , spices from the dollar store and wood spoons

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 1:47 PM In reply to

And may I add that this is exactly why I registerred but never told people about it unless they asked?  I didn't want my guests to feel obligated to buy us something and if they did want to purchase something, I wanted them to buy something they felt was appropriate and would fit in their budget.  We got some really cool gifts, too!!!  I even got custom-made christian jewelry that has our wedding date on it and a reference to a verse in the Song of Solomon about 2 becoming 1 -- really just a thoughtful gift!

Just use your imagination and they will know you care.  You are there to celebrate with them and that is the most important thing!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 2:10 PM In reply to

sunshinetreva:
    Just use your imagination and they will know you care.  You are there to celebrate with them and that is the most important thing!

I agree... and if you cant do a wedding present, see if you can save up for 1st year anniversary gift... that would also mean alot to them.

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
Page 1 of 4 (34 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us