Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Weight Watchers? Are there any WW people here who would like to share?

Last post Sun, Sep 14 2008 5:04 PM by dmc_2008. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 10:17 AM

Weight Watchers? Are there any WW people here who would like to share?

Today I am starting WW AGAIN.  I am not going to go to meetings, but would like to know if any of you wondeful people would like to share your inexpensive, budget friendly, low point WW suggestions.

It would be nice to have support here for this.  It doesn't have to be WW as long as it is low, low calorie.

Here we go! 

dmc 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Fri, Sep 12 2008 12:17 PM In reply to

Re: Weight Watchers? Are there any WW people here who would like to share?

My late mother was in WW for years, and I should go and lose that nearly 20.  

Italian chicken--1 bottle fat-free Italian dressing, one cut-up chicken, brown rice.  Bake chicken in bottle of dressing at 325.  Pour juices out into saucepan and skim off grease.  Cook brown rice in dressing.

Oven fried chicken--preheat oven to 350.  Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.  Mix instant mashed taters, garlic powder to taste, oregano to taste, paprika, and a good dash of parmesan cheese (adds flavor but not that many calories).  Roll chicken in this and pat it into the chicken well.  Bake an hour, turning once. 

WW milkshakes--Powdered milk, commodity is fine, Watkins flavoring, Shasta diet drink, Sweet'n'Lo or other sweetener to taste.   Make up the milk with Shasta flavor of your choice, add a drop or two of Watkins, place in blender with several ice cubes and blend until thick and smooth.  Can use frozen fruits to replace part of the ice. Can replace a meal.

Dips--taco seasoning or ranch dressing in fat-free sour cream or yogurt.  Serve as a garnish to fat-free black beans or fat-free refried beans.  

Pay the extra money for fat-free sliced American or other cheeses.  Makes all that low-cal broccoli taste much better.

Hot chocolate--half a cup powdered milk, 1 tsp fat-free cocoa, 2 pks Sweet'n'Lo.  Put it in the microwave and stir each minute till it's all dissolved.

Anyone have any good fat-free salad dressing recipes using Clear Jel?  Supposed to be some Out There Somewhere...

• Fri, Sep 12 2008 2:55 PM In reply to

Awsome chicken recipe. I am going to try that.  My DD will love it.

Today, I am making a few things.  I cancelled some appts. I had and I am staying home!  I went to the gym and to the market and now I am home preparing things for the days ahead.

I am putting together some stuffed peppers with ground turkey, (its made with bbq sauce and liquid smoke).  I will put the recipe here in a bit.  Each one is about 4 points.

Then I am making a minestone soup and some cucumber salad with yogurt, that is zero points.  I will post the recipe for that as well.

Then I am baking up some Fiber full muffins.

So that is how I am prepping for this!

More ideas later. 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Fri, Sep 12 2008 3:05 PM In reply to

Here is the recipe, its no bake!  Also, go to www.cachampionsforchange.net and check out their downloadable pdf recipes.  Very healthy.  Its where I got this one.

BBQ Turkey in

Pepper Shells

This dish is colorful and healthy. You

can save money by using all green

bell peppers.

Makes 6 servings.

½ bell pepper per serving.

Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Ingredients

. pound lean ground turkey

1 large onion, peeled and chopped

1 medium green bell pepper, seeded,

cored, and chopped

1 (14.-ounce) can no salt added diced

tomatoes, drained and rinsed

1 cup 50% less salt canned

black beans, drained and rinsed

. cup prepared barbecue sauce

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

3 bell peppers (any color)

Nutrition information per serving: Calories 199, Carbohydrate 27 g,

Dietary Fiber 6 g, Protein 16 g, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat 1 g,

Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 38 mg, Sodium 267 mg

Preparation

1. Brown ground turkey in a medium skillet over

medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain

excess fat.

2. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until

softened. Add all remaining ingredients except

the whole bell peppers; simmer for

10 minutes over medium heat.

3. Meanwhile, cut the whole bell peppers in

half lengthwise and place bell peppers in a

microwave safe dish with a small amount

of water. Cover and microwave on high for

about 5 minutes until crisp-tender.

4. Remove peppers from the dish and place

on a large plate. Spoon turkey mixture into

peppers and serve.

• Sat, Sep 13 2008 7:57 PM In reply to

I've been trying to lose weight off and on for years - last summer I found www.sparkpeople.com - which is like Weight Watchers on-line, but free.  There are discussion communities, weight loss tips, recipes, people to help - and since I use Firefox with an ad-blocker add-on, I don't see most of the ads, either.  I've lost nearly 20 pounds this summer - 10 of it since I joined SparkPeople about 8 weeks ago.  It's been very helpful to me.
  • Sun, Sep 14 2008 5:04 PM In reply to

Congratulations on your weight loss.  That is awesome!

I am actually a member of Spark but I never go on, I still get their emails though.

I have been doing the WW thing for a few days now, but I am doing about 25 points a day ( I should be doing 18 or 19 ), but I don't count that I go to the gym, and they give you 35 extra a week. I wish I could do 18 but that is really restrictive for me.

The cucumber salad turned out so gross, I dumped the whole thing.  I think I put too much cumin or something in it, but my daughter was grossed out too.  But the soup and the peppers have been a hit.

I grilled some chicken I had in the freezer for the next coming week and will do chicken, salad, soup and muffins.  All pretty much stuff I have in the house.

So no money out of pocket.  I haven't been good in that department, it seems like when I get really down in the dumps something new happens and then I actually get worse.

It is a vicious cycle isn't it?

dm 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us