Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

newspaper bricks

Last post Thu, Sep 4 2008 11:22 AM by gayla50. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:09 AM

newspaper bricks

I was looking through a Lehman's catalouge and noticed that they had a paper brick maker for $50. According to the discription you can take newspapers compress them into bricks and they will burn for 4 hours in a wood stove or fireplace. Since 2 of my ds's have paper routes it won't be too much of a problem for me to get my hands on papers to compact but I was wondering if anyone has ever burnteither newspaper bricks or logs (they also had a log roller) and what kind of luck did they have. Did the bricks or logs produce any heat and was it enough to heat the room or the house?

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Thu, Sep 4 2008 9:34 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: newspaper bricks

I've used newspaper logs, and, while they can stretch your wood supply, they won't substitute for it altogether. Paper burns with a lot of ash because it doesn't burn as hot as wood when it's compacted, so you need wood to burn with it. If you usually use say, three medium pieces of wood, you can use one or two of paper instead.  It burns a little better if you soak it in water first then give it a couple of weeks to dry out. 

I saw the paper brick maker and was intrigued - wish I still had a wood burning stove. It might burn better as a brick because it would be compressed much more than logs. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Sep 4 2008 10:43 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Would making those bricks or logs be better done while the weather is still hot? That could be a late spring/early summer project so that they have the entire hot weather season to dry out for winter. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Thu, Sep 4 2008 11:22 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Many years ago I brought a log roller the kids and worked like little beavers

the logs do burn for a bit then smolder .. and when it all over it makes so much ash.  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us