Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Birthday parties for adults

Last post Fri, Aug 29 2008 8:47 AM by Mimi. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 11:18 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Birthday parties for adults

Didn't someone here just turn 50? I can't remember... sorry! Anyway, I'm curious. Do any of you (speaking to adults!) plan celebrations for special birthdays, like 50th, 75th, for yourself or others? How do you/would you go about it to keep the person from feeling... old? Make a joke of it? Or would you celebrate a long life with dignity? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 1:38 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

Re: Birthday parties for adults

I vote long life with dignity.  Smile

I had a friend who was diagnosed with a brain tumor in his early thirties.  They didn't think he'd make it six months.  At his 40th birthday party, I sat there thinking that I'd never look at milestone birthdays the same way again. 

We lost him a couple of years later.  Life is too precious to not celebrate every day of it.  If you're starting to go "over the hill" grab a sled and enjoy the ride!

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 2:15 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 993

My birthday is coming up, so I say that to remind myself too!

Neat things I've done or seen done to celebrate:

• I'm thinking of planting a rosebush in honor of each of mine from now on. 
    • Have everyone bring copies of their favorite pictures with the birthday person to put in an album as a gift.
    • Ask everyone to talk about their favorite memory with the person.
    • Have everyone write down ways that person has impacted them, and then put those papers in an album.
    • Slideshow or poster with pictures through the years.
    • Plan a special trip to celebrate.
    • On TripAdvisor.com, someone mentioned that they were going to try to do "50 for 50"--visit all fifty states during their 50th year.  That might be more than a lot of us can do, but I liked the way of positively marking the occasion by making interesting plans.
    • Make a donation to the person's favorite charity.
    • Have a day where friends and family volunteer for that charity in honor of that person's birthday. 
    "...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Wed, Aug 27 2008 7:12 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

This was done for our aniversary but would be nice for a birthday. We recieved a friendship quilt. People were given a square to embordery, sign, paint....whatever they wanted to do and sign their name. You have to made sure that it is permanent ink. Then a friend made a quilt from the squares. It was very nice. She contacted people from out of state, old friends, family .All our kids did one with their birthdates. They did one for my Dad that had died with this name and dates. My DD was one at the time and they helped her write a big A....for her name Abigail.  This is a big project but a beautiful one. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Aug 27 2008 11:30 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Mimi:
    Life is too precious to not celebrate every day of it.  If you're starting to go "over the hill" grab a sled and enjoy the ride!

Great words! 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Fri, Aug 29 2008 12:38 AM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 1,065

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • Fri, Aug 29 2008 8:47 AM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 993

Thanks Pat!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us