Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

food gifts for Christmas

Last post 12-13-2013 10:16 PM by MarthaMFI2. 88 replies.
Page 1 of 9 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-18-2008 6:22 PM

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Inflation fighter [IF] food gifts for Christmas

Does anyone else do gift in jar , cookie platters or tin , Or give homemade baskets .???

Fishy Mix

1 (6 oz) bag of plain or cheddar cheese flavored, bite-size fish shaped crackers
    1 (6oz) bag of dried cranberries
    1 (7oz) bag dried apricots, snipped
    1 cup of peanuts

Attach these instructions to the jar:
    In a medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 6 cups.

Last year I made up several batches of Fishy mix and put it a pretty tin and gave as little gifts . it was a hit .. everyone loved it

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 08-18-2008 7:02 PM In reply to

• dlw
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-23-2007
    • Posts 463

Re: food gifts for Christmas

Yes, dh and I have done them in the past and will probably do so this year. Homemade cookies, candy, chocolate covered pretzels, breads and homemade mustards, etc.

Donna

• 08-18-2008 8:10 PM In reply to

Heavens, that is about the only kind of gifts I give for Christmas (well, sometimes I give gift certificates for local auto supply stores and craft stores, except to a son and his family, who live in Arizona--I give gift certificates for major department stores, as well as the homemade goodies). One of my sisters prefers the homemade gifts. She told me that she knows how much work we put into them and they make her feel warm and fuzzy. Her kids got upset when they did not receive enough jam last year (I had to send more in May). I give jam, apple butter, little loaves of banana and zucchini breads, and peanut brittle; my husband includes his homemade fudge; my daughter includes her cookies, and my daughter-in-law includes her candles. The only thing I ask of the recepients is that they return the canning jars and tins before the next Christmas. This year I am going to include my homemade teas. I have already started a box for my sister and her kids. Boy, that box will cost plenty at the post office!

• 08-18-2008 8:38 PM In reply to

This discussion came up last year on another forum. You would not believe how many people said that they would not eat homemade food gifts and that they would pitch them into the trash.

The holidays were hard for me this past year as I'd never spent Christmas by myself before. It just wasn't the same without Mom being in the house. My doctor says that it'll be easier for me this year.

I am planning on baking cookies for the beauty shop this year. You just would not believe all the yummy homemade stuff the clients and stylists make for Christmas. Last year I literally had a free lunch complete with ham biscuits at the beauty shop.

I will be making up bean soup mix and giving it to the beauty shop employees and possibly to some of the darling women who go there and who have been so sweet to me ever since Mom entered the nursing home. These women have grown to really like me and they geniunely care about me.

After hurricane season is over I will start making ice box cookies so that I can slice and bake them just like the Pillsbury cookies in the dairy case only mine will taste better because I'll have made them myself.

I used to go to a nail tech who made different kinds of homemade fudge. It was to die for !

• 08-18-2008 9:35 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I make up cookie tins and give them out first part of December .. we have 4 cookie exchages to go ... my DD is having one with friends from church her Christmas party right now she invited 12 girls they one lady asked her family be included she said I have a daughter I said Jenna Molly is 2 she said well she your daughter .. Lol ..

I make up soup mixes and some oyster crackers , make home cocoa mix and some cookies baskets I give out to friends

I have an older friend who has requested cup a soup recipes and she said I have my basket from last year .. I am working on new cup a soups for her ..  

my Dil calls my cookie , baskets and tin  Love gifts I think that fits .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 08-18-2008 11:27 PM In reply to

There is method to my madness about the soup mix. My recipe makes 20 packages of bean soup mix. By my giving it at Christmas to the beauty shop employees I will not have too much soup mix for myself.

Check out The Perfect Mix by Diane Phillips. It should be in your local library. It's a nice book. There is a scone recipe in it.

• 08-19-2008 8:38 AM In reply to

I like to do treat platters, baskets & tins (for mailing).  This year I plan to make at the minimum:

• Chocolate Krinkle Cookies
    • Russian Tea Balls
    • Oatmeal Raisin Scotchies
    • Gingerbread Moose (its a new england joke hehe)
    • Chocolate-dipped Biscotti
    • Spiced Nuts
    • Fudge

I'm sure I'll throw in a few more rounds of cookies now that I've finally taken the Kitchen-Aide out of the box and gotten hooked on it LOL! I might make some Buckeyes and Peanut Brittle too, and maybe some mints.

• 08-19-2008 9:35 AM In reply to

Virginia Needlewoman:

This discussion came up last year on another forum. You would not believe how many people said that they would not eat homemade food gifts and that they would pitch them into the trash.

That's so sad! I think that too many people (the majority, unfortunately) have lost sight of the true meaning of Christmas. Not only in "Jesus the reason for the Season" but the season is also a time of family gatherings, helping others, cheerfulness, etc. The materialistic part of it all has overshadowed what is meant to be such a special time. I think any homemade gift, when given to someone who really celebrates the true meaning of Christmas and Hannukah and even those who aren't Christians or Jews but who still see the season as a time for celebrating the truely important things in life.... those people will be overjoyed to receive such a special gift. IMHO, I think that the homemade gifts are the best of all because it "says" so much more than other gifts. Anyways...

I've wanted to do this since I was a kid (do a type of homemade gift basket) but have yet to do it. Since I've gotten most of my other gift shopping out of the way I may have the time and a little extra cash to finally do it this year. I'd like to do the gifts-in-a-jar because not only are they easy but they are great to work with as far as the presentation goes. the down side is that the jars can get expensive!

Please post your recipes and tips on this thread so we can all get some ideas!!!

Here is something that I make every year and usually hand out in tins. It can easily be put in jars, though.

Cajun Scrabble

(going by memory, so bare with me!)

Chex Mix (I usually do the 3 different ones, or at leat 2), pretzels (the stick, I prefer), and mixed nuts (I try to do a lot of pecans, since I can get those for free in my area!). Then, on the stove in a small pot, you melt butter, Worsteshire Sauce and a little Garlic Powder on the stove. You put the cereal mixture in a big gallon size ziplock (or a big bowl, whichever you prefer) and pour the butter mixture on top. Be careful to just pour a little at a time, mix around, then pour some more. You don't want the stuff to get sooggy! Then, spread out on a large baking sheet and sprinkle some Tony Chachere Cajun Seasoning (option) on the mixture. Be careful to not add too much, though, because the stuff is already salty and the Tony's will make it saltier. Bake in the oven about 2 hours on 150 or higher (depending on how much you want to have to check it so it isn't burning) and stir every 15-30 minutes. When done (make sure it's all a light golden brown and crisps, but not burnt!), spread out on papertowels or newspaper to cool and dry completely (this is important if you want it to store well). If kept in an air tight container this will keep for a good while.

God bless,

Julie

• 08-19-2008 9:48 AM In reply to

juju_mommy:
    the down side is that the jars can get expensive!

Julie,

If you are using canning jars, you can put a note in it to please return the empty jar before the next year so it can be refilled.  Smile  By putting a deadline on eating the gift, it ensures it won't be on their shelt forever waiting for a special occassion or wind up at the Goodwill.

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • 08-19-2008 9:54 AM In reply to

There's a book out there that one of my co-workers was recommending to me about doing gifts in a jar. She was going to let me copy the book but she loaned it out and wasn't able to get it back. Anyways, several years in a row she made jar gifts for all of us at work. I thought it was a great idea! 

Here are some creative gift-n-a-jar ideas that I've gotten myself (as a gift) and/or saw on the internet while searching: cookie mixes, bean soup mix, homemade jelly/preserves, bath salts, beef jerky, trail mix, homemade salsa, etc.

Also, the mom of a guy I dated in high school had this family recipe for an apple nut spice cake that was made in a jar. It was awesome but the ingredients were numerous and expensive, from what I remember. Anyways, I could kick myself for not getting it from her back then. I tried to find the recipe online but failed. She'd make a huge batch, spending all day to make it. You make the mix but then pour it into the jars and bake the jars in the oven. When done, you put the lids on and the cake keeps in the pantry for almost a year! To get it out, you just take a butter knife and cut in a circle. The cake comes out in a cylinder which you slice into these perfect little round cakes. It was wonderful and we'd take a jar with us on all our camping trips. I wish I had the recipe because it would be perfect for Christmas gifts!

Here are some recipes and tips I found on the internet and had marked for future use:

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix-N-A-Jar

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=32262

Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix-N-A-Jar

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=32260

Mom of 9's Page on Gifts in a Jar

http://www.momof9splace.com/giftsinajar.html

Heart 4 Home Page on Gifts in a Jar

http://www.heart4home.net/giftsinajar.htm

God bless,

Julie

Page 1 of 9 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us