Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What Do You Cook in Your Slow Cooker?

Last post Thu, Jan 7 2010 6:19 PM by kb999999. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 2 2008 12:36 AM

What Do You Cook in Your Slow Cooker?

Do you use your slow cooker very often? What do you make in it?

• Sat, Aug 2 2008 7:06 AM In reply to

Re: What Do You Cook in Your Slow Cooker?

I do roasts, whole chickens, and certain recipes.  I have one where you layer potato wedges, then carrots, then chicken breasts, then pour on italian dressing.  I've done a meatloaf in it before but DH likes my upside down meatloaf better.  I've never made soup in my cooker, but I suppose I could.  I have a 1 quart cooker, too, that came with a chocolate sauce recipe -- like a fondu, but without the fire!  It's really good, but I only make it for guests b/c I have to buy ingredients I don't normally keep on hand.  I've been reading up on making beans in my crock-pot, but I rarely need more than 2 cups at a time, so I've been trying to figure out if I can do that in my small cooker.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sat, Aug 2 2008 11:36 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

I do mostly stews, soups, ribs and whole chickens. I have 4 crock pots 2qt, 4qt. 6qt. and Nesco 6qt that has temperature settings so you can bake and roast in addition to slow cook.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sat, Aug 2 2008 11:48 AM In reply to

I have cooked chicken, pot roast, meat loaf, pork chops, soups, stews, chili, hot dips, a shredded potato casserole, potatoes with jackets on, dried beans, corn mix snack, and more.  Never too many crock pots in the kitchen. 

-thyme2save 

thyme2save
  • Sat, Aug 2 2008 12:03 PM In reply to

I use it mostly for stew, spaghetti sauce, chinese vegetables, soups, things like that.  I'll sometimes mix up a boxed cake mix and cook it in the crock pot, yum yum!  It reminds me of a steamed pudding, it's awesome!

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Sat, Aug 2 2008 1:10 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

not much,  mostly shredded bbq meat...beef, chicken, pork or chili.   I have tried pasta recipes but they dont' turn out well.   I have tried a few recipes but dh didn't like them.

I plan on doing more in the pot. been following this blog of her goal of using the crockpot everyday for a year.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Aug 3 2008 8:56 AM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

For me it is stew beef, roast, and turning that into beef veggie soup with leftover veggies. And of course dried beans. Not to sure what else to do with it, but I am willing to learn!

Lynn

• Sun, Aug 3 2008 10:08 AM In reply to

• Dawnie
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 26 2008
    • Cincinnati OH
    • Posts 34

I havent used mine for months.  We usually make roast with taters and carrots or ham with greenbeans and tators.  My dh uses it more than me but then again he is a better cook than me.  He will make pork or when we have deer he will make something with that.  A roast or pulled bbq.  We usually will make something and take it to a family gathering.  I would love to use it more but i work full time and i am 30 mins away.  I am scared to leave it on while i am gone.  I use to use it a lot when i worked 5 miles from home.  I would go home on my lunch and check on it and stir it.  That was nice having dinner ready when we got home.  Not having to waste time cooking and got to spend more time with the kids.  Maybe i should have them start helping with dinner now that they are older.  One will be 9 in Sept and the other is 6.

• Sun, Aug 3 2008 6:47 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I make pintos beans ,soup , potatoes , alot I have chicken , beef and pork .. I love mine I have a couple of the old big ones  and two of the normal size and one of tiny ones .. the internet full of recipes .          

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Aug 24 2009 12:38 PM In reply to

• Penny
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 21 2008
    • Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    • Posts 24

I've used it mostly for stews, usually only a few times a month  But yesterday found a great blog with some fabulous looking recipes!  And recipes for things I'd never even considered making in a slow cooker, like yogurt.  I tried the yogurt recipe last night and woke up to homemade yogurt this am- it's amazing!

The blog is at: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com

"Be the change you want to see in the world."- M. Gandhi
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us