Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you ever get asked to show ID when you use your debit/credit card?

Last post 07-10-2013 10:20 AM by Kassy. 50 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (51 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2008 8:26 AM In reply to

Re: Do you ever get asked to show ID when you use your debit/credit card?

Dear Joyous, Thank you for the wonderful Co-op Extension brochure.  However, complaining about illegal minimal purchases from Food Stamps EBT is much simpler.  We're encouraged when phoning in to inquire about monthly benefits amounts (carry-overs for me), to use the menu to report illegalities.  I jsut shy away from doing it, because I don't like getting people into trouble, especially the mom-&-pop stores that do this.  Love in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 01-21-2009 3:09 PM In reply to

Sometimes I am asked but it is pretty rare.  I really don't mind because it seems to be an added security measure.  The way I see it, with the rising problem of identity theft this request should be standard.  Even if merchants had a system set-up where they ask you the first time - and then after your ID is verified with that card the first time you don't have to go through the hassle of showing it again.

http://debtconsolidationcure.com
    http://getpaidtotakesurveys.info
    http://pbclenders.com
  • 01-21-2009 9:19 PM In reply to

No--good when I'm using it, but bad if someone else got my credit card. However, the grocery store that I go to at least once a week now asks for my driver's license to go with my check. I just hand it to them automatically now. Not a big deal. Don't sign the back of your credit card----make them ask for ID----even then some don't ask. I don't know the last time someone asked for my ID when I used the credit card. Someone stole my sister's credit card and couldn't use it because she hadn't signed it---but that was about 14 years ago. I don't think they are as diligent about it now.
  • 01-21-2009 9:34 PM In reply to

Yes I have been asked to show an ID while purchasing gas at a gas station that was my purpose of getting a debit card but with all that is going on in the world I do not mind being asked for an ID we have a few stores if you do not purchase at least $10.00 of merchandise they charge you for using a debit card.

• 01-22-2009 12:03 AM In reply to

I work in a convenience store, and it is standard proceedure to ask for ID when someone presents a credit card. Debit; not so much since you know the PIN to the card. We have a nifty alert that pops onto the register if someone tries to use a credit card outside at the pump that has been reported lost or stolen. Those should be everywhere though, not just outside.

If there were nothing else to trouble us, the fate of the flowers would make us sad.

John Lancaster Spalding.
  • 06-19-2009 10:02 AM In reply to

Hi! I never have been asked to show ID. I have taken my Dad's credit card to pick up his meds & other stuff & neverbeen asked. I always sign my name , not his & they never question it. My son & husband use my checkcard & sign their name or use my pin , no queestions.
  • 06-19-2009 10:22 AM In reply to

Never when using as debit (largely because the point of a debit is that you have punched in a PIN, which is your ID), and sometimes with my CC. I *always* thank the person asking, and think it's ludicrious that MC and VISA have no-ID rules. It protects me, as a consumer, if someone steals my card. 

Re: minimums on CC. Being a small business, I totally understand the minimums, and frankly without them a lot of stores wouldn't be able to offer their customers the convenience of using a CC. I don't take CCs for just that reason--the fees are just too high, often as high as 15-20%, depending on the card and what the transaciton is classified as (restaurants usually pay a higher percentage than grocery stores, for example, and generally the bigger the business, the smaller the percentage overall). Tack on an extra person to do the paperwork and accounting for it (I am just not an accountant, and you really need one for this), and it's just not worth it for any kind of small transaction. Unf, many small businesses also couldn't survive in our credit card world if they didn't take them, so it's this catch-22.

Minimums of EBT & food stamps, however, is ridiculous. I actually just got back on a conference that covered some of this, and there's no good reason for it. They don't pay a per-transaction fee for these, and the system is automatic (in other words, they don't need an extra accountant for it). I do actually believe it's illegal, and you should definitely report it. Actually, I learned an amazing amount at that meeting about certification, etc. The system is better than it was some years ago, but still needs a major overhaul in many ways, at least in VA regarding things like certifications.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • 06-19-2009 11:07 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

they dont even ask for Id at the bank ..  I always have mine ready

my DIL Em uses my Debit card all the time ... No one ever asks .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 06-20-2009 5:36 PM In reply to

Yes I have been asked once for an Id using a debit card while purchasing gas for the car and no I wasn't a happy camper.

• 03-12-2010 5:32 PM In reply to

• Zee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-12-2010
    • Posts 1

I was asked to show an ID to use my Bank Visa Debit Card at the Bumble & Bumble counter at Bloomingdale's on Lexington Avenue in NYC by a salesperson named Jessica; she insisted that it is their policy to request an ID if I use a credit card, I let her know that its a debit card and that the two people she helped just before me were not asked for an ID and one of them did use a card,  she said I still have to show the ID and refused to sell me the product without my IDI asked for the manager, when the a manager also named Jessica (Jessica Donohue) came over I explained what just happened she insisted that yes its their NEW policy as of last year (I visited 2 Bobbi Brown counters at this store earlier that day and they asked no one for ID's, plus while disputing this w/them I am looking over to the MAC counter where the customer was using a card and did not have to show ID), she tells me (while holding up the product) if I don’t see an ID I won’t sell this to you (BTW the product is hair gel), when I asked for proof of this policy both Jessica's fumbled around looking for something in writing (because this is not posted in the store), other salespeople looked on but no one came forward with this proof nor to verify this information. JD asked if I wait she will run across the street and get the proof, when she  finally gets her hands on a piece of paper that mentions to ask for an ID when the customer uses a credit card but did not allow me to read the entire page as she took it back quickly and again I say well it says CREDIT card and mine is a debit card, when the other Jessica starts to shout you see I need ID, I tell her "are you stupid, do you not know how to read?", so Jessica Donohue makes a scene and calls security.I told them that I was going to file a complaint against them and now that management spoke to their council and they looked into this Visa/MC rules they want to rectify things by sending me a note of apology and a $100.00 gift card.  I am still going to file complaints with as many agencies as possible when I get a chance to do the research.
Page 4 of 6 (51 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us