Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Last post 08-19-2009 11:50 PM by Penny. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (42 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-01-2007 2:33 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Homemade Laundry Detergent

A favorite corn cob activity among those of us who stretch the dollars or prefer homemade products is homemade laundry detergent.

For those who haven't tried it yet but would like to, here is the stretcher's info on it:

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990201k.cfm

For those who have tried it, share your tips and experiences.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 04-01-2007 3:26 PM In reply to

Re: Homemade Laundry Detergent

I use this method that I got off another forum: 1 cup powdered Tide, 1 cup baking Soda, 1/4 cup grated Fels Naptha soap. Mix and use 1 Tbl per load.

At first I didn't believe that only 1 Tbl. would get my laundry clean,. but now I'm convinced! I don't even use bleach anymore.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 04-01-2007 4:14 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

It is amazing, isn't it? I've used the first "recipe" she listed and liked it, and I've made the liquid version, but didn't use the glycerin.

After looking at the methods on that page, I'm wondering if that much Tide is necessary in your recipe. If not, it would save even more money.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 04-01-2007 9:12 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

To Pat and Michelle, is Tide necessary?I find it to be rather harsh. My daughter has reactions to detergents that are milder so I have a fear of Tide, lol.

I have been experimenting with homemade detergent again and I was making a stretcher for allergy free Purex. I am pleased with this so far. I still want to try some without the commercial detergent though.

• 04-01-2007 9:25 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Brandy:

To Pat and Michelle, is Tide necessary?I find it to be rather harsh. My daughter has reactions to detergents that are milder so I have a fear of Tide, lol.

I have been experimenting with homemade detergent again and I was making a stretcher for allergy free Purex. I am pleased with this so far. I still want to try some without the commercial detergent though.

Tide is one of those products that work very well, and sometimes too well for some people. I've made the detergent with grated soap to take the place of the soap flakes in that article, then borax and washing soda and it did a pretty good job. Be sure to use vinegar in the rinse, or the grated soap won't rinse out as well and will make the whites dingy after a few times.

Anyway, that's been my experience, Michelle may more insight.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 04-01-2007 9:39 PM In reply to

Re: Re: Homemade Laundry Detergent

I use Lirio soap but you can use Zote , Fels Naptha or even Ivory bar soap if you want to . Then I use super washing soda ( sodium carboante ) and borax . I have not had any problems with this at all . I also rinse my clothes with a cup of white vinegar . My family has very sensitive skin and this has helped a bunch . If you cannot find Super Washing Soda at the grocery store the next cheapest way to purchase it is at the pool/spa stores . Just ask for Sodium Carbonate and you are good to go . I usually make a huge batch which is one bar of Lirio or Zote or 2 bars of Ivory grated and then 12 cups each of Borax and Super Washing Soda . Use 1/4 cup of dry mix for a huge load .
  • 04-01-2007 10:09 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

"Be sure to use vinegar in the rinse, or the grated soap won't rinse out as well and will make the whites dingy after a few times."

Really...hmmmm. When I used homemade stuff a few years ago, I had trouble with the whites being dingy. I can not remember what I actually had in with the washing soda. I am thinking I did not have Borax and now I have something else to think on.

• 04-01-2007 10:12 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Re: Homemade Laundry Detergent

"If you cannot find Super Washing Soda at the grocery store the next cheapest way to purchase it is at the pool/spa stores . Just ask for Sodium Carbonate and you are good to go"

Thank you for the tip, Heatherd. I stopped using my own detergent a few years ago when I stopped being able to get washing soda. I recently ordered some online but that's not really cheap.

• 04-02-2007 2:04 AM In reply to

Re: Re: Re: Homemade Laundry Detergent

Yeah I find that the vinegar has made a big difference in the clothing . It helps the colors stay bright too . My husband gets terrible rashes from soaps and lotions so I try to use vinegar as much as possible . His skin has improved greatly since I have been making my own soap too .
  • 04-02-2007 8:30 AM In reply to

My DD is allergic to dryer sheets and doesn't react well to Tide either. We both seem to have some skin allergy problems. The only soap I can use in the shower and not break out is Ivory soap. Good thing too, because it's cheap to buy.

So, does anyone else have hard water and a septic system? I often use vinegar in my rinse cycle, but have been told that using powdered detergent isn't good for the system, so I would have to make the liquid version.

Page 1 of 5 (42 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us