Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Redesigning Clothes

Last post Wed, Aug 29 2012 2:27 PM by Patti. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 27 2008 11:21 PM

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Redesigning Clothes

My 14 (almost 15) year old dd asked me to post this for all of you creative individuals. She has been in the mood to redesign some of her clothes to give them new life or just to make them useful to her once again. She is asking for ideas to help her along. She likes (loves is more like it) the 80's punk rock styles. She bought a couple of pairs of jeans at SA the other day and has already been working on a pair. She is just looking for ideas for t-shirts, jewelry and any other accessories. Arm and leg warmers (I can knit these, but not always what she wants) too. Believe me, this kid is into it. She already looks like she is right out of the 80's. LOL (Never thought I would have to relive it, LOL) Anyway, any ideas are appreciated. TIA

Kathy

• Mon, Jul 28 2008 1:10 AM In reply to

Re: Redesigning Clothes

What about using fabric crayons, fabric paints, beads, or putting appliques on clothing? You could also embroider jeans.

Fabric crayons are sold at JoAnn Fabrics.

• Mon, Jul 28 2008 5:22 AM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

If she has long hair, you can always tie big ribbons in with the scrunchies when she puts her hair up, and scarves and thin shawls (or folded) can serve as belts. They do still make the bigger slouch socks altho you have to look for them, so maybe you won't need the leg warmers. And don't forget tie-dye. Even tho it is orginally 60's, it made an appearance in the 80's too!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn

• Mon, Jul 28 2008 9:45 AM In reply to

• bluesong
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 20 2008
    • Portland, Oregon
    • Posts 260

Tongue Tied [:S] Re: Redesigning Clothes

Maybe you could find some old 80's photos of Cyndi Lauper and Madonna for ideas of clothing. They were both kind of *punky*.

• Mon, Jul 28 2008 2:09 PM In reply to

Jeans were very washed--bleached even--and holes in the knees were common (holes anywhere, for that matter).  Thing is, jeans always looked clean.  There's something that they're doing to jeans now that puts a wash on them that's nothing other than dirt-colored.  Jeans did not have this dirty look in the 80's.  They were also a tapered leg (trust me, anything that looked vaguely wide at the bottom got you laughed at) and set on the natural waist--or higher.  No hip-hugging.

I remember having a pair of jeans that have a brocade-like pattern on the pockets.  I thought they were pretty cool.  Also had a pair of salt-and-pepper jeans (black, but not solid black) that I was in LOVE with.  Oh, and I had this pair of white jeans that had streaks of paint on them that looked like someone had just squirted fabric paint from a bottle all over them.  Had a sweat shirt to match that had different colored ribbons sewn on it in random strips, and then it was painted over the same way.  Man, what was I thinking?  LOL

T-shirts should be extra large and long, and you pull them up on the sides with a T-shirt clip (a round thing that looks like a buckle without a tongue, but a hair scrunchy will do).

Aqua net and bangs.  Oh, and a crimper.  Remember crimping your hair?  Flat, straight hair was very much out.  Perms, waves, crimps, curls were all in. 

Oh, and I had an outfit that was leggings (totally opaque) with a short skirt attached.  Skirts and pants together were in for a little while. 

Bangle bracelets.  Or multiple watches.  Or both.  Cheap plastic watches were in.  Best to have one in every color so they matched what you were wearing.

Plastic jellies for summertime. 

Cut the neckhole out of extra-large sweatshirts.  You want it hanging off your shoulder.  Also cut the sleeves so that they are short, or remove them all together.  You should also cut off the bottom if there is a band, maybe even cut it up so it shows a small amount of belly (over those high-waisted pants, lol).  They're supposed to be loose and breezy.   

Decorated sweatshirts were also in.  Painted, sequined, fabric applique.  I had one I loved that was a fabric applique of a rocking horse that had bells sewn onto it so I jingled.  Always wore it around Christmas.   

• Mon, Jul 28 2008 5:20 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I hate to be a downer here, but I would suggest checking with your daughter's school dress code before too much is put into new clothes. Many of the things that Keriamon talked about (shredded pants for instance) were violations of the school dress code at the school where I worked. There was way too much time spent enforcing that dress code, but the adminstrators felt it was necessary to teach discipline. Part of the reason for enforcement of dress code was to eliminate gang clothing - colored shoe laces, one buttoned flannel shirts, low-rider pants showing too much backside, hats (that could hide things), hooded sweatshirts with the hood up. If they had to enforce one part then they had to enforce it all, and shredded pants wasn't good dress code, especially when those shredded holes showed too much backside cheeks!  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Mon, Jul 28 2008 5:37 PM In reply to

<<especially when those shredded holes showed too much backside cheeks! >>

Something that, alas, was NOT common in the 80's.  People dressed like they had a mismatched thift store closet, but weren't too sexually provacative.  Even Madonna, starting out, wasn't dressed too racy.  Except for wearing shirts or jewelry that said "boy toy."  But heck, 12 year old girls put "Hottie" across their butts nowadways, so boy toy is pretty mild.  I keep waiting to see a girl with her phone number across her backside.

But yes, holes are probably against a lot of dress codes.  But bleached-out jeans without holes should be good.  Not to mention the paint all over them.  A short skirt with opaque leggings might be iffy--depends on the school. 

• Mon, Jul 28 2008 5:52 PM In reply to

what i notice with todays young ladies is that the shirts they wear are all tight in the chest and hugging there sides. When i was a kid it was a regular shirt not so form fitting. I dont llike the new look. And then there are the bigger girls  who are spilling out ( if ya know what I mean. )

Soooo unattractive.

• Mon, Jul 28 2008 5:59 PM In reply to

ACK... 80's!! I guess it's a matter of opinion which decade had the worst outfits... for me, it's the 80's (I cringe looking at old photos).

Well another "trend" is the look of guys w/ boxers showing.... that gets me going at times. I have heard of cities and towns now where if you are caught like that, you're fined, that I like in a way. (Adding to the unattractive comment by Seahound). 

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Mon, Jul 28 2008 10:16 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Thanks for all of your ideas ladies. No, she doesn't have long hair. Remember when very short hair was in style for a while? I mean very short. Part of her hair is shaved, but a long shave. It looks really cute on her. She is more into the punk stuff, than the slouchy stuff. No bangs or crimping here. LOL Think tighter skinny jeans, chains or straps and no holes. LOL She does, however, have some larger t-shirts that she is trying to alter to fit a bit better than totally huge, yet a bit loose.

Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us