Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal and easy homemade Gatorade

Last post 03-10-2009 6:55 PM by gayla50. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2008 10:44 AM

• bluesong
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2008
    • Portland, Oregon
    • Posts 260

Geeked [8-|] Frugal and easy homemade Gatorade

There was a thread on here talking about Gatorade and someone posted using Kool-Aid, so I went to google and found some recipes for a homemade version. I made some of this up last night and it tastes very good. (I used fruit punch kool-aid).

Homemade Gatorade

1 pkg unsweetened kool-aid (any flavor)

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon salt subsitute (potassium chloride) and/or 1/2 cup of orange juice

2 quarts water

Just stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Chill.

I used orange juice and which I think it makes it better than Gatorade because it has "real" fruit juice in it.Geeked

• 07-26-2008 5:42 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal and easy homemade Gatorade

Ohmygosh!!!  This was VERY good!  I'm extremely impressed!  I can't imagine that it costs more than maybe 0.50 to make a pitcher of this.  I used lemon-lime kool-aid and the o.j. and it tastes *extremely* similar to lemon-lime gatorade.  I told my DH that I would be willing to make this every couple of days for the family if he'd like.  He was kinda skeptical when I had him taste it, but even he says it tastes like gatorade.  And I told him that it has the salt (though I think less than what gatorade has in it) and the potassium (thanks to the o.j.) just like gatorade.  The most expensive part of the whole thing is the 1/2 cup of o.j.

Thanks for posting this!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 07-26-2008 7:08 PM In reply to

• bluesong
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2008
    • Portland, Oregon
    • Posts 260

I just made my second batch today, strawberry-orange. I did cut down on the salt a little bit, seemed too salty for me. I did buy a 3 oz. container of Nu-Salt (salt substitute) it cost $1.69. It will last me a long time since you only use 1/4 teaspoon.

Sometimes I have a hard time going thru a 48 oz. container of orange juice, so I think I will freeze some in ice cube trays and just use 2 or 3 cubes when I make a new batch.

• 07-26-2008 7:37 PM In reply to

I only picked up 3 koolaid packages -- lemon-lime, black cherry, tropical punch.  Now that I know that it's a good substitute for gatorade, I'll start buying different flavors of koolaid and trying them out with this recipe.  DH drinks a bottle of gatorade almost every day in the summer; not as frequently in the cooler months.  He drinks a LOT of water, too -- over 1 1/2 gallons a day.  His meds give him drymouth and that amount of water is like taking a diuretic every day, so gatorade is a must.  $10/week in gatorade vs. $2 to make 4 pitchers a week is quite a savings.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 08-12-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

• Dawnie
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-26-2008
    • Cincinnati OH
    • Posts 34

I will have to try this.  The boys like gatorade but i don't buy it that often because it can get kinda pricy.  Thanks for sharing.

• 03-10-2009 5:07 PM In reply to

I have to confess I HATE Gatorade.   So I've been looking for alternatives.  This one is actually a middle-ages Islamic recipe, and it's really, really good!  If you add a little salt, it also helps you in the hot weather:

Sekanjiban

Water 2 1/2 cups
    Sugar 4 cups
    Wine or apple cider vinegar 1 cup
     Mint or 4 mint tea bags
    1/2 cup

Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water; when it comes to a boil add 1 cup wine vinegar.
    Simmer for 1/2 hour. Add the mint, stir, remove from fire, and let cool. Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part syrup). The syrup stores without refrigeration.

It tastes good, really refreshing, and you can dress it up with sparkling water if you really want to go fancy and want a soda-substitute. 

• 03-10-2009 6:55 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have made this before .. its ok I like to make because I can control the salt ..

My DH and boys drink Gatorade by the gallons in the summer ...

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us