Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Wringer Washer

Last post Thu, Apr 5 2012 12:38 AM by gayla50. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 24 2008 6:32 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Wringer Washer

Cool! :) Thanks for reporting. It's interesting how they made those old machines do things some of the newer ones don't. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Jul 24 2008 10:07 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Pat:
    It's interesting how they made those old machines do things some of the newer ones don't

I agree with that. My 3 year old machine just puts all the lint right back on the clothes when the water drains, and not having a dryer to suck the lint off of the clothes as they dry, I end up with speckled clothing. It's supposed to have a self cleaning filter. Now that's a joke if there ever was one! Edey.

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Thu, Jul 24 2008 11:11 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Mine doesn't have a lint filter either so I know what you mean. Automatic washers are awful at leaving lint on clothes. Wringer washers don't do that so much. I'm not sure why, maybe because they don't spin dry and force the clothes against each other. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Thu, Aug 21 2008 11:14 AM In reply to

• Singai
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 21 2008
    • Posts 1

Hello, I just bought the same same washer at an auction and actually have a question for you. Does it take time after you pull the filter/drain lever before it starts actually draining?  I let mine go for a minute or so and nothing happened.... is it supposed to take time or is mine just broken?

• Thu, Aug 21 2008 11:18 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I'm not the original poster, but every machine I've ever seen has started draining within one to two seconds of turning on the pump. If yours doesn't drain that way, is there a hose that comes from the side/bottom of it? You should be able to drain it by gravity if you take the hose off its hook. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Thu, Aug 21 2008 12:12 PM In reply to

• bmoody
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 24 2008
    • Posts 9

Yes the pump should come on right away.  As soon as you pull that lever it fires right up.

Im washing a load as we speak now.

• Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:02 PM In reply to

• DuaneB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2012
    • Posts 2

Hi!

Old Timer here (just 64 but I remember "the old days"). Back then, we were conservative with water, and "fresh water" was used for whites first, then reserved for other washes. Water from rinsing Whites could be used to Wash Colored Clothes. When the whites were washed, the water was DRAINED off into another TUB to be used later for a dirtier wash, such as RUGS or WORK CLOTHES.

1) Fresh Water was "drawn into" the Ringer-Washer, with this mechanism; THEN, 2) The clothes were "wrung out" and the Used Water was "drained out" to one of the double-tubs for another wash's subsequent "first-of-two rinses" use, which would be for the dirtier clothes, NOT the 'whites']; 3) More Fresh Water was put into the Ringer-Washer 'for the first or for the final rinse use'/cycle; THEN 4)The clothes were "wrung out" again and hung to dry.

Your mechanism is used for BOTH Drain-Out and Filter-In of water. The Filter is used when you are recycling your Old Rinse water for the first-wash of Dirtier Clothes, which are washed TWO times, and Rinsed at least once. So there is SOMETHING in your mechanism that is engaged or disengaged. The "HOOK" would hang over the tub while you are draining-out used water into the tub. NOW, when you are "truly draining" the water, it goes out onto the lawn for watering (just kidding--we don't do that any more!) or to the waste treatment place.

When in my early 20's and renting a room in a rental house, I used an older washer than yours. We didn't filter the water then, and the set-up I used in the rental house, I hadn't thought to use the Water Tub. You guessed it -- very young at the time.

Hope this helps.

• Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:49 PM In reply to

• DuaneB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2012
    • Posts 2

By the way, "Yes" is the answer to your question, but it's an odd way to wash clothes though, from my previous post, you see I had NOT used a machine like the one you have. Very nice washer!

• Wed, Apr 4 2012 1:36 AM In reply to

Ah, the memories of a wringer washer... my parents used one for a while when I was growing up. :) I remember getting my hand caught in the wringer once when I was feeding clothes through it. I think my *other* hand was the more injured one -- I punched the release mechanism to pop open the wringers and banged up that hand more than the one that went through the wringer!
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:37 PM In reply to

Iwould lovw to get one cindy operatted off one of those in canada when she was younger and the workshe did she got out more loads then a regular washer and had blisters up to her albows when she got home from the 2 week vacation she had and she would like to get one of those again she had one when she lived in her 5th wheel and hung clothes out on the line.

chrissanne
Page 2 of 3 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us