Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Need Suggestions for Kitchen Window Treatment

Last post Thu, Jul 24 2008 2:19 AM by Lynnea Berr. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 23 2008 6:17 PM

Need Suggestions for Kitchen Window Treatment

I have 2 windows in the kitchen. One is by the sink. It faces the backyard. The second window is facing the side yard plus it is next to the electric meter(the meter is outside). I probably sound neurotic, but I don't like the thought of having it so people can look inside the house from the outside.Remember that my house has been broken into plus I live next door to recovering cocaine addicts. Also, I am thinking that either a bamboo blind or a curtain would keep the heat and/or cool inside the house.

Mom got her JCP bill today & she had 2 slips of paper for FREE shipping for catalog purchases. Should I get curtains (washable) or a bamboo matchstick blind?

Originally we had those expensive Venetian blinds on all the windows. If you ever heard me on the subject of the 2003 renovations a lot of stuff either got broken or thrown out. The blind that was on that window is nowhere to be found. Mom liked to be able to look out that window when she was here.

If any of you live near me, I'd welcome your coming over to my house and looking at the window. Yes, I would even consider having you make me some curtains if you are up to the job.

I do not enjoy sewing. I am trying to conserve heat/coolness plus I like my privacy.

Many thanks.

• Wed, Jul 23 2008 6:41 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Need Suggestions for Kitchen Window Treatment

personally I don't like blinds but they are handy.  In my kitchen I have a combo of blinds and decorative curtains. Battenburg lace that meet in a V at the top middle of the rod.

We have black out blinds on the bedroom windows. Since they are tall and narrow. I hung a small crocheted tablecloth across the window with two hooks on each side.  That way the light comes in when the blind is up and people can't see in. 

In the dining room I have a fabric roman blind, very nice with trim that I got for $15 at a thrift store.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Jul 23 2008 7:05 PM In reply to

I wish that you lived near me. You are so clever. I would be delighted to teach you  what I know about stuff including cooking. I'd have you over for lunch and it would be fun to compare frugal tips.

• Wed, Jul 23 2008 8:36 PM In reply to

My apartment complex makes us use miniblinds; I'm neither for nor against them.  They simply exist.  I have no curtains either, but my DH did tack a dark blanket up over DD's window to keep light out and so she would stop waking up so darn early!  I wish I could sew; then I could help you.  I cannot sew even a button!  LOL  No lies!  DH thinks I should take a sewing class or something b/c it's just sad.

I'm not sure if it would work for your windows, but I my back door, which is in my kitchen has a window in it.  I love the light that comes through in the evening, but can't stand that when people walk back there that they can see in.  I bought opaque contact paper -- a HUGE roll for about $5 or $6 from Lowe's or Home Depot -- and used that to cover the windows.  It's not clear, but it's not dark or colored either; there's a design on it, too.  It was a very nice, cheap fix to the problem.  Of course, I cannot see out my back door window either, but you take the good with the bad.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Jul 23 2008 8:45 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

thank you Embarrassed    I am good at swipping other peoples ideas!!    I often thought it would be nice if all of us were closer together.   Maybe one day we can all have a big dollar stretcher convection!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Jul 23 2008 11:11 PM In reply to

I have the tab-top curtains on most of my windows, because I like them, and they were cheap at Bed Bath & Beyond or Target (some from each) when I bought them.  For windows that I like to leave open in the winter to get heat and sun, I hung sheers inside the curtains - it makes it much harder to see in from any distance, while still letting in light when I want it. 

• Thu, Jul 24 2008 12:06 AM In reply to

Virginia Needlewoman,

There are any number of treatments that could be used, though you don't refer to the size of the window or the style decor in the kitchen.  You could do either of the ones you mention.  In bygone days, women often used two sets of tea towels clipped on cafe rods as curtains, no sewing necessary.  (Instructions in Leslie Linsley's Weekend Decorating.)  Retro tablecloths with printed or embroidered designs often find their way into homes as curtains, pillows and seat covers.  I have seen lace curtains with a tablecloth doubled into a long V over, so very little ability to see inside.  A small quilt, perhaps, one that is intended as a wall hanging?  I like old-fashioned fabrics with kitchen themes and find curtains at thrift stores sometimes.

I still have the old roller blinds at my back door and basement door.  I have seen them with freehand painted scenes by homeowners in any number of patterns -- four seasons, cats, quilt patterns.  They can also be fabric covered.  In the kitchen window above the sink, there is only a view of my neighbor's siding, so I have two lace panels and a small collection of colored glass animals.  In my stairwell in full view of the living room, but leading upstairs, I have a panel with a redwork design of a woman arising from a hammock among oversize flowers and leaves with the saying "Slumber's refreshing hours are past."

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • Thu, Jul 24 2008 12:52 AM In reply to

Lynnea,

I live in a 2 story Dutch Colonial house. The house is furnished in antiques. You don't want me to get started on how I feel about the furniture in Shattered Dreams which is what I refer to this house as. First of all, the furniture goes with the style of the house, it's paid for, and I haven't decided to sell the furniture and replace it. I grew up with this furniture.

The kitchen is big and open (the old pantry was combined with the kitchen in 2003) and the new pantry is the former back porch which Mom had converted into a tiny pantry for me in 2006. Aurora is not allowed in the pantry so she tries to go into it every time I open the door to get stuff out of the freezer or from the shelves. The walls are white and the floor looks like white bricks (it's some sort of flooring). The window is not very wide. I haven't measured it. Most people don't notice that Aurora's litter box is in a corner (she has a neat triangle shaped litter box) close to the window. There is a cat tower in the kitchen. Aurora would like for me to buy her another cat tower for upstairs.

Aurora lives the good life these days. I found her on the Petfinder list in 2006.

Someday I will have either a floor cloth in the kitchen or a small rug .

• Thu, Jul 24 2008 2:19 AM In reply to

Virginia Needlewoman,

Well, with a wide open kitchen, I'm going to guess that your Dutch Colonial may well be a center-hall model?  My neighbor's Dutch Colonial has a center hall and a wide open kitchen.  In my own Dutch Colonial, alas, no center hall so one fals into the LR from the front door, and smaller rooms overall.  We both have breakfast nooks rather than pantry space.  I am trying to work on a plan to renovate my own kitchen space which was chopped up by "Q&D" (quick and dirty) contractors.  (It will need to be a complete tear out when it occurs.)  No actual antiques here, but older furniture from the 20's through 40's purchased at antique or consignment stores, estate sales, flea markets, and thrifts, many of which depict my city's history.  I like to say it is furnished in "Grandma Had Its" as in, things I remember my Grandma or Mom having, the covered refrigerator dishes, church and prayer plates, samplers, etc.  However, currently 5 dogs are here with me so you can imagine the wear and tear.  Dog crates and toy buckets under the Duncan Fife, lol.  I am sure Aurora is a princess compared to my mudpuppies.  :-)

So you have white on white, any accent color or theme that you would like to bring out, a color on a china pattern or counter or perhaps a chair rail, be it flags, jade green, red, roosters or flowers?  Silly me, maybe cats in honor of your Aurora?  Perhaps that yet-to-be-realized floorcloth depicts cats with balls of yarn being batted about?  Cats are often the subjects of tea towels and tea cozies.  Some are silk screened; others are woven to look a bit like brocade.  Just thinking in terms of a bit of unexpected whimzy.

Lynnea the Dogmom
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us