Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How do you make Blackout curtains???

Last post 03-28-2009 11:54 PM by seaturtle. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-23-2008 5:36 AM

How do you make Blackout curtains???

I have some material I got for $1/yard a few months ago, was gonna use it for curtains, but it is wayyyy to thin. Is there a certain material I can buy to use with it to make blackout curtains? Thanks for all your help!!!

Lynn

• 07-23-2008 7:56 PM In reply to

• bluesong
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2008
    • Portland, Oregon
    • Posts 260

Re: How do you make Blackout curtains???

I just checked on google (how to make blackout curtains) and found out that there is something you can buy called "Blackout Lining", It comes in white or ivory. I did not check to see how much it cost.

• 07-23-2008 8:24 PM In reply to

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • 07-28-2008 5:30 PM In reply to

You should be able to get, at any fabric store, curtain lining.  Just ask someone where it is, should be on a roll in the drapery section.  It's white or off-white, heavy and kind of rubbery and you can't see through it.  You then sew it on like lining for clothing--sew it at the top and down the sides and hem separately at the bottom.  Although you could probably get away with just sewing it together at the top and not worry about attaching it at the sides--although you have to hem your fabric there anyways. 

• 08-18-2008 9:41 PM In reply to

• i got black-out lining at joanne fabric.  it was about $4 a yard- don't forget to sign up for your coupons!  my curtains are linen tablecloths, tops folded over to make a valance, and i used clip-on rings.  no sewing!  i just clipped the black-out fabric to the back of the linen.  it doesn't ravel, so no sewing there, either!
  • 08-19-2008 12:04 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

cherylm:
    my curtains are linen tablecloths, tops folded over to make a valance, and i used clip-on rings.  no sewing!

That's a quick way to make the curtains!  Thanks for sharing that idea. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 08-19-2008 4:27 PM In reply to

I made curtains for our bedroom that block out most of the light....I used sheets that I had...I made the curtains a double thickness and used the clip on hangers and expansion rod....I made them to fit between the window casing.....they are close to the window glass and cover it well...they are just squares sewn together....they don't gather but fit flat next to the glass.........the color may make a difference in how they block the light...they are a royal blue....

Nebraska
  • 08-22-2008 6:54 PM In reply to

I'd say buy blackout liner, but if you scored bargain fabric for $1/yd, I'm assuming that's not the answer you're looking for.  Another solution is to use other bargain fabrics you may have, or even an old vinyl "blackout" window shade that's had the spring go, as liner.  If your bargain fabric is fairly dark-colored, simply use another dark bargain fabric as liner material.  If light colored, use an old vinyl window shade (this will make your curtains stiff and limit your choice of styles).  Or, if you have lots of bargain fabrics and light curtain material, layer your linings to have white/black/white/curtain fabric to make it thick and block sunlight.  You don't want to use dark curtain fabric against your windows as it will collect heat and fade in the summer.  Another option is to buy a hideous old pair of insulated drapes at a thrift shop, rip them apart, and give them new life as the liner in your pretty new curtains.

• 10-19-2008 12:48 PM In reply to

Secondhand comforters hung on dowels, with regular curtains on the outside. 

• 03-12-2009 12:53 AM In reply to

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would put in my two cents anyway.  at walmart they have redi-shades in blackout, they are 4 dollars each and block out 99 percent of the light. we have one in our bedroom and it works great!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us