Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cheaper alternative to bottled carpet cleaning solution

Last post Tue, Jul 31 2012 1:10 PM by swphbxzaq. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 15 2008 12:31 PM

• digginout
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 30 2008
    • League City, TX
    • Posts 265

Cheaper alternative to bottled carpet cleaning solution

I have a hoover carpet shampooer and use it about once a month to keep the high traffic areas in the house we rent clean, because we really need our deposit money back. The bottles of carpet cleaning solution are extremely costly (about $7) and only come in a liquid form. Yesterday in an act of desperation when the spots simply weren't going away I went to the local grocery store and picked up a jar of Oxi powder stuff from the laundry soap department and was shocked to find that it actually works about twice as well as the hoover brand heavy duty cleaner I was paying twice as much for. Note: I always run over my carpets with a tank of clean water to reduce the soap residue left behind. I am also now throwing down old area rugs in the high traffice areas so I won't have to clean the floors so often.

I was wondering if there are any other stetchers who have any other tips for less expensive carpet cleaning products and/or solutions that one would not normally think to use.

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 12:33 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Cheaper alternative to bottled carpet cleaning solution

try vinegar and water. I use it for a final rinse (cuts the soap) or if the carpet is not that dirty.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Jul 15 2008 12:36 PM In reply to

• digginout
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 30 2008
    • League City, TX
    • Posts 265

Oh good point. I completely forgot about my favorite all purpose cleaning product. I will definatly start adding that to the rinse water.

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 12:45 PM In reply to

I quit using the commercial soaps as the smell was too strong and I felt I never got it fully rinsed out. So we started using OxyClean (cheaper store brand) and hot water in our Bissel machine and found it works just as well. I have also used a vinegar/hot water mixture and it worked really well, too. DH just complained that the smell lasted too long. But it is sooo cheap that he didn't complain long! We now have wood floors so the only time we use our cleaner is on our area rug in the living room to clean up spills/accidents.

I agree the bottles of cleaner are expensive.

Erika
  • Wed, Jul 16 2008 7:12 AM In reply to

I have used vinegar and water (general cleaning), OxyClean (highly stained), or laundry soap (traffic area/mid level cleaning).

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Jul 31 2012 1:10 PM In reply to

Some best carpet cleaning methods are define as below
    a) Dry Power Carpet Cleaning
    b) Hot Water Extraction
    c) Dry Foam Carpet Cleaning
    d) Bonnet Dry Cleaning
    e) Dry Shampoo Carpet Cleaner

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us