Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Another cleaning question

Last post 09-05-2007 10:11 PM by my3bugs. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2007 9:55 AM

Another cleaning question

Does anyone have experience in cleaning your own carpets?  I have a nice newer machine that keeps the water hot, but soon after using it many of the stains resurface or reappear.  I have heard this can happen because the soap stays in the carpet and attracts dirt.  If that is the case, would putting vinegar in the rinse water help?  I hate to pay a professional and we have very old, but still decent beige carpeting.  The thought of replacing it makes me squirm.  I don't like having to fuss over new flooring and would just as soon make due as long as possible. 

Pat
  • 06-18-2007 10:19 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Another cleaning question

I have never paid anyone to clean my carpets and I can't think of anyone I know who does. What product are you using to clean your carpets?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 06-18-2007 10:27 AM In reply to

Are there stains on your carpet in places, or is it just worn?  If teh former, it works to take a citrus cleanser like Simple Green, & a scrub-brush.  You put down some of the cleanser & SCRUB.  Then, apply a soft cloth like a T-shirt to blot the stain.  After you've cleaned all the stains, you vacuum.  It's a lot of work, but it comes out clean!  (And you don't have to use anything toxic!)

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 06-18-2007 11:53 AM In reply to

I'm using the manufacturer's products for carpet cleaners.  I was thinking of using Shaklee basic i  or basic h instead of the normal carpet cleaner, but I'm not sure how much to use. I can experiment though.  The spots are stains not worn places.  I will try the spot treatment suggested  -  thanks.

Pat
  • 06-26-2007 3:59 PM In reply to

I know that this was an old question but I just wanted to let you know what the professional carpet cleaner told me. I use a professional about once a year as we have allergies, and I ususally do it at the end of October right before the holiday cleaning rush kicks in. Anyway, I use my own Hoover Steamer to clean in between, and going with my pro cleaners instructions I do not use ANY cleaning soaps in my carpet cleaning process. I simply heat water to a hot but not boiling temperature. I fill the tank about 3/4 of the way with very hot water and the rest of the way with tap water at the cool but not cold temperature. I then "shampoo" my carpets using this very simple and cheap recipe. My carpets come clean and look great between pro cleanings and I have no problem with soap residue or reappearing stains. In between cleanings of either kind I am thorough about cleaning up any spills or pet stains that happen. I treat them as soon as I see them and then I spot clean the area using my carpet machine. My carpets are 10 years old and were not super high quality in the beginning and we are only just now thinking of replacing them with hardwood.

I know that my method may seem "weird" because no detergent is used but it works for us and our carpet look nice and our house does not smell.

Also when the pro cleaner comes we do all the high traffic areas, but the rooms we seldom use like formal living and dining areas only get done professionally about every 2nd year. This saves a lot of money.

• 06-26-2007 4:06 PM In reply to

Thanks!  I used basic H this time (very little though,) but I will keep this in mind for next time.  I was able to get a good recommendation for a professional.  My carpets look good now, so I'll probably wait until fall before I call him.  It really is just the traffic areas that need the most help. 

Pat
  • 08-16-2007 12:28 PM In reply to

Great hints! I started using hot water and vinegar to clean the carpets and it works great. Plus no extra work in rinsing out the soap. We did get Citrus-O company to come in and clean a couch that was given to us and the living/hall/kids room carpets. They were great and it got out the stains that our carpet cleaner couldn't get out.  Many old homes in New Westminster have hardwood floors lurking under the carpets but since our house was built in 1948 (young for new west) There is only hardwood in the living room. ugly green Lino in the hall under the carpet and in the kids room a neat carpet pattern printed on grey lino. Don't know what is under our  bedroom.  

My Family's Interests
  • 08-20-2007 10:27 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

My son cleaned carpets for a brand name company for 1 year.  That miracle spray they used and charged the customer big $ for?  It was a dilute mix of Oxyclean and water.   They misted the miracle spray over the carpets, let it sit just a bit, and steam cleaned.  He now cleans carpets occassionally on the side for extra $, using the rental machine at the local store.  He makes a dilute mix of Oxyclean and cheap hair shampoo for the main cleaning and his miracle spray to pre mist the carpets.  Hasn't had a single complaint and plenty of call backs.

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 08-21-2007 11:35 PM In reply to

Great tip!  I'll remember to try that next time. Thanks!

Pat
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us