Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How to stock an RV to live in ?

Last post 07-25-2010 12:49 AM by jayashiangel. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-11-2008 11:36 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: How to stock an RV to live in ?

lynn:
    yes it will Brandy ..hubby already checked ...thank you for thinking of it

LOL, after loosing power when I turned on the microwave or plugged in the hair dryer/electric grill/ect when the AC and something else was plugged in...I definitely think of that.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-11-2008 8:52 PM In reply to

Hi, DH, three kids, two small dogs and I lived in an RV for 15 years. When we started the job that required RV living our kids were 11, 8 and 6. When we moved back to our property, still living in the RV, they were 26, 23 and 21. The older one had married and they still live in a RV. We have been building a house for the past 7 years and we're still not finished. However we are living it the house and it's mostly done.

When living in an RV with that many people, you have to learn to "rotate" :) You must learn to get along or you will all go nuts.  We are still a very close family.  We homeschooled so the kids were there all day, every day. Rainy days are the pits. We often lived in very muddy places.

Some of our best memories are from those 15 years. If you ave specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer them. We would be gone 6 months at a time between visits to our mobile home that we had lived in. We took tons of food with us because it was difficult to find the things we liked to eat "on the road".

Best of luck with your adventure!

daylily 

• 07-11-2008 9:10 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

daylily:
    You must learn to get along or you will all go nuts.

There is much closeness in living in an RV or the like. We also homeschool but too many of us need space and privacy to have made it a positive experience for us. I'll admit, I am the worse among us when it comes to needing space.

• 07-13-2008 11:39 PM In reply to

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • NC
    • Posts 267

Your post brought a smile to my face ..I can just see you and your family rotating in RV !Big Smile Hubby is kinda large ...think I`ll not try to rotate around him ..I might get stuck !Big Smile  Seriously ...thank you for your offer to help ..I may be sending questions your way . Hubby and i are now talking about selling the house and buying a slice of heaven ( mountain top with a great view ) and making the RV or one a little larger ..our retirement home ! But first we`ll try it for a few months in the RV park .

• 07-16-2008 7:46 AM In reply to

You might want to spend a winter in an RV before you sell your house! We had a high end Rv for the last 4 years with an Artic Package. It was fine for a winter in Alabama but took LOTS of propane to keep warm in VA mts, and it was always cold around the edges. The walls are so thin even in the best RVs
  • 07-16-2008 11:26 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

daylily:

You might want to spend a winter in an RV before you sell your house! We had a high end Rv for the last 4 years with an Artic Package. It was fine for a winter in Alabama but took LOTS of propane to keep warm in VA mts, and it was always cold around the edges. The walls are so thin even in the best RVs

Maybe the older ones are better? We had one that was about a 1978 (this has been several years ago, but we bought it used). We took it to the mountains in Colorado during hunting season (November) and it stayed snug and warm, even during a snow storm. I don't remember if it burned an excessive amount of propane, but it might have. We were using propane for the refrigerator and water heater, too, because we were away from electricity.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 07-17-2008 12:10 AM In reply to

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • NC
    • Posts 267

Our RV is old ..a 76 I think hubby said ..its been used for hunting and hadn`t been taken very good care of  inside . But I have redone the inside till its clean and  looks great . The motor and transmission are new ...we bought it from a friend and he  did all that about a year ago . We had  planned on using it just for fishing trips  and for the kids to sleep in when they visit ..now we are going to live in it !

We will be moving it Friday to the campground . I  worked at my new store yesterday ...and it is going to be a challenge to say the least . The deli was terrible !!! There is no way I would eat the food they had out and I certainly wouldn`t sell it !!! The produce looked terrible ...the whole store was out of stock  ...its so bad I`m not sure where to start ! Send up some prayers for me ...I`m gonna need all the help I can get Sad

I hope I can have internet at the campground ..they have wi-fi ..I`ll have to buy what every I need to get it ...but the internet will be free.

I`ll let ya`ll know how it goes . Thanks for your help .

Lynn

• 07-17-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Have fun with your adventure! Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 07-18-2008 8:26 PM In reply to

Pat, Our last RV, a Teton, was the best we'd had but I would still get cold if I sat close to the wall on a cold, windy day. The main problem with winter time in an RV is the condensation from the propane heat and the temp difference between inside and outside with those thin walls.  I love living in a house that is DRY :)

Lynn, enjoy your adventure! 

• 07-18-2008 10:14 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

daylily:
    The main problem with winter time in an RV is the condensation from the propane heat and the temp difference between inside and outside with those thin walls.  I love living in a house that is DRY :)

We had that problem. I would wipe down the walls as we could see the dampness dripping on the walls. I have tossed piles of clothes due to mildew from condensation in the closets.

Page 2 of 4 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us