Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

how to sell a wedding dress

Last post 11-13-2013 12:42 AM by Oliver009. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2008 8:26 PM

how to sell a wedding dress

So, I'm thinking of selling my wedding dress from last year.  I never intended to keep it -- just the veil, which I will hand down to my daughter.  The dress is still within that 3 year time frame so it's still "stylish."  Anyway, I've never listed anything on Craigslist, and I'm kinda nervous to do so b/c I've seen some shady things on there.  Do you just avoid those areas when you're looking for good deals or to sell or whatever?  Would an ad in the paper be better?  Suggestions are appreciated!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 07-07-2008 2:33 PM In reply to

Re: how to sell a wedding dress

Maybe you could try a consignment shop?

• 07-07-2008 8:26 PM In reply to

I would second the consignment shop idea.  I recently researched selling one on ebay for a friend but though there are TONS listed, very few actually seem to sell unless they were designer or vintage types.

But many consignment stores will sell them, so I understand.  Otherwise, I'm not sure!

• 07-08-2008 10:10 PM In reply to

I tried to sell a size 24 dress with an ebay auction house for $35 fee.  No bidders.  I had to donate it to Goodwill.  At least I got a sizeable write off.

Christine
  • 07-10-2008 12:22 PM In reply to

We buy all sorts of stuff off Craigslist and sold our old couch on it.  I think we got our horse on it too.  Get hay off it all the time.  If there's something we need, we usually look there first because we want to avoid paying retail where possible.  But then, we also live in a rural area, so sometimes it takes less time and gas to pick something up from someone's house than to go into town! 

If I was shopping for something as expensive as a wedding dress, I'd look at Craigslist first.  I'd figure it would be cheaper than a consignment store and I would assume I could try it on before I buy it, which you can't do with EBay. 

• 07-13-2008 7:53 PM In reply to

Personally, I would go with something like a consignment store - an ad on Craigslist may give you more hassle than you bargained for considering that people would want to come and try on the dress before they bought it and then they would be in your house, unless you met them at the convenience store so they could drag it into the bathroom to try it on.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Anonymous

Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once.

Anonymous
  • 07-14-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

I'd also look on wedding-related forums and blog sites.  Theweddingbee.com and theknot.com come to mind first, but I'm sure there are many others.

Also: ebay?

Jay
    Jingle Networks
    1-800-FREE411
    http://www.free411.com

Why pay for 411? Call 1-800-FREE411 instead! Now with driving directions!
  • 07-14-2008 8:40 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

http://www.bestbridalprices.com/ 

a friend of mine brought her daughter wedding dress from there .

my daughter brought a bridesmaid dress there too.  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 07-15-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

I was going to say craigslist as well but as mentioned above the lady you sell it to is going to want to try it on first. I buy and sell alot of stuff on craigslist but clothing just doesn't sell well for me and I always end up with people offering me half my asking price which is generally half of retail already which just drives me crazy, I almost always resort to repurposing our clothing into rags or diapers or donating to goodwill.  Hopefully you have a consignment shop in your area. You might try calling the shop where you bought it and see if they have any suggestions. Good luck.

• 11-13-2013 12:42 AM In reply to

why not to show us a picture?

tell the turth most of the brides are not willing to wearing a second hand wedding dress.

http://www.ebuy24hours.com
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us