Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Solar Cookers/Ovens

Last post Fri, Jul 4 2008 6:20 PM by Pat. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 4 2008 4:39 PM

Solar Cookers/Ovens

During these difficult times I have been thinking of different ways to cut down on utilities and eating less. Does anyone know how to build a solar oven or cooker?

I tried it by getting my barbecue grill and covering it in aluminum.  Next I cover it with a class top. It partially cooked the meat which was somewhat frozen.

But did not cook it all the way.  Somewhere I saw something about a reflector but do not know how to build one.  Has anyone built one successfully and can you give steps to make it and what type of materials.

Thank You,

Justice

• Fri, Jul 4 2008 6:04 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Solar Cookers/Ovens

I built one once, but wasn't happy with it and I haven't tried it again. There are many plans here: http://solarcooking.org/plans/

There are a lot of things that will affect how well a solar oven works. Whether it got direct sunlight, how long the food is in it, what type of pan you use and so on. Besides putting foil inside your grill (I'm assuming it's a bowl shape?), put the food in a dark colored pan with a glass lid if you have it, or a dark colored lid otherwise. You may have to move the grill around to keep the sun fully on it, and having it at an angle will heat it better because the sun will hit it more directly. 

Now you've inspired me. I have one of those small grills that's never used. Maybe I'll make a solar cooker out of it myself!  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Fri, Jul 4 2008 6:14 PM In reply to

Added benefit your kitchen stays cool!  Thank you very much for the plans.

Peace,

Mary

• Fri, Jul 4 2008 6:20 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

You're welcome.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us