Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Baby Shower Idea

Last post Wed, Jul 2 2008 11:07 AM by eyrehead. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 6:55 PM

Baby Shower Idea

Help. I am hosting a baby shower and got everything done, except buying a gift for the couple.  This is their first child.  They are very "green" in everything.  I am not crafty enough to do anything or make anything, but don't have much mony or resources to get them what I want.  What can I do?  The only stores in my town are a Family Dollar, grocery store, and Dollar General.  Any ideas for about $10-15?

I am a stay-at-home mom who has four children with one on the way!

Being frugal is not something I have to do, but its my passion.
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 7:17 PM In reply to

• Rydymom
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 1 2008
    • Upstate NY
    • Posts 16

Re: Baby Shower Idea

Hi bugout69-

In my opinion, since you are hosting the baby shower, you've fulfilled your gift-giving.  If you wanted to do a little more, I know I loved having an easy meal to heat in the oven after coming home from the hospital.  Honestly, that is the gift I remember best when someone asks me for a baby shower gift suggestion. 

Hope this helps!

Rydymom 

Rydymom
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 7:58 PM In reply to

I am also providing a meal and organizing a week of meals for the couple, but I am pretty much expected to do something more. 

I have decided on making homemade laundry soap as one gift.  Then cutting up an old receiving blanket and they can use it for baby wipes at home. 

I just need a few more ideas though.

I am a stay-at-home mom who has four children with one on the way!

Being frugal is not something I have to do, but its my passion.
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 8:13 PM In reply to

Hi there,

I just threw a baby shower for a good friend and I got her a little gift too.  I gave her a little outfit for the baby (was very inexpensive, on sale for about $11).

You could also do an assortment of bath items since you mention dollar stores and such.  Baby soaps, shampoos, lotion, bath toys etc packaged together in a gift bag or basket would be really cute and fairly inexpensive.  Or follow the same line of thinking and do baby needs (pacifiers, toys, burp cloths, nail clippers, nasal aspirator, etc).

I agree that doing the baby shower is really your gift, but like you I felt like I should give my friend an little something to open as well.

Have fun!  Don't you just love the idea of new babies!!

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 8:47 PM In reply to

I usually give an assortment of baby items, such as soaps, shampoos, lotions, bath toys, etc and keep the cost under $20.  I try to use coupons on these things or buy store brand; Wal-Mart and Target both have great baby items.

How about an envelope full of baby-item coupons?  These can be printed off from the computer and/or put the word out among her friends/shower invitees and collect the coupons at the shower! 

Another gift idea is a bedtime book to be read to child.  The dollar store here is has lots of boardbooks priced at $1 each.  Hope these ideas help--Miss Paula in Texas 

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 9:52 PM In reply to

The gift I gave for my friend for her shower (I was unable to attend hers) was a a couple of onsies and some Burts Bees items for the baby... individually wrapped in tissue paper sticking out of a towel origami basket. The basket made the biggest splash! Since it was a girl, I was able to do pink... you could do a neutral color if the sex is unknown. (White or Yellow and then use purple tissue paper ...) For all my gifts and the towels were ~$35 but you can do much cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Art-Towel-Origami/dp/0740755633

(upper most left picture is what I did)

Hope this sparks some imagination...   Smile

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Wed, Jul 2 2008 10:49 AM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

I know you said you only have a grocery store, Dollar General and Family Dollar in your town.  If you live within  reasonable drive of another town that has a Dollar Tree (where everything is $1) I think it would be worth going.  I get consistently much better deals there than any of the stores you mentioned.  For your budget (even if you spend $5 on gas) you could get 10 things!  Plus they have good party supplies and gift bags for a fraction of the cost of other places.  Others have mentioned kids books and supplies from there.  Other things they often have are kid's videos, scrapbook pages, frames, relaxation CDs (great for stressed moms), sometimes lullabye CDs, almost always organizing baskets.  You could make a little basket full of things.

This isn't anywhere near as inexpensive, but Meijer has really nice baby things and toys too. They have SOME more environmentally friendly/organic items.  (They had them here before Wal-mart.) 

At your grocery store, for a "green" (plastic free) teethers you could get those little Melba toasts and frozen mini bagels.   You could also buy nice olive oil hand soap for the 4 zillion times she'll be washing her hands.  My sister-in-law liked the gourmet cocoa and herbal tea I got for her since she was giving up coffee while nursing. 

I hope this helps!

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Wed, Jul 2 2008 11:07 AM In reply to

I am a practical gift giver, and almost always do the bath items (bath towel, washcloths, shamoo/baby wash, etc.); or I'll do the first aid kit or medical kit. If I go with the medical kit (the one with the thermometer, nasal aspirator, medicne dropper/spoon, I'll include some infants Tylenol or Motrin (store brand usually) and some Mylicon gas drops. Since they're a "green" couple, perhaps a package of cloth diapers or even just the liners.

I also usually include a little something special, just for mom...either a nice small jar candle or some trial size bottles from Bath & Body works.

~*~Angie~*~

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us