Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Bartering for goods and services

Last post Mon, Feb 25 2013 1:50 PM by gidget. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 8:11 AM

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Bartering for goods and services

How many on this forum barter for goods and services? What has been your experience? Good? Bad? How many would like to but aren't sure how to get started? What do you have that you could offer?
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 10:09 AM In reply to

Re: Bartering for goods and services

My husband is an electrician by trade. When we were first married, we lived in a little upstairs apartment (for almost 4 months), until we could close on our house. The people we were renting from were realtors/builders, and Brian did some electrical work in exchange for our rent for 4 months. He's also bartered his services to get stone delivered for our driveway. He's done small electrical work for some local farmers and we've gotten 1/2 a cow (freezer beef), canned foods, baked goods, fresh veggies & fruits, etc. For the most part, our experiences have been very good. I mean sure, it would have been more cost effective to get paid more in cash, but it usually works out in the end.

I have a couple friends that we barter babysitting, and ocassionally some freezer meals with.

~*~Angie~*~

• Mon, Jun 30 2008 10:20 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I like to barter when I can find someone to barter with, which isn't too often. One time my husband did some welding work for a semi load of wood (when we burned wood for heat) - that was probably the best trade. I've traded lots of small things and have always been happy. There are times when I think I should ask, but am a little shy about it. Don't know why, all they can say is no. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 11:20 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

dh is good for trading favors with friends with handyman or computer help. me it is more the babysitting etc but not much of that.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 11:22 AM In reply to

My DH is an avid hunter.  He has always hunted and I can't ask him to give it up.  But, with the high cost of gas he told me a couple weeks ago he wouldn't be able to go as often this fall since where he hunts is way out in the county.  I felt sad for him because he enjoys it so much and looks forward to hunting season all year.  Well, last week I was speaking to a good friend of mine and she was upset that some predators are eating her ducks, chickens and eggs.  She has spoken to the wildlife people and they told her to shoot them.  She doesn't own a gun and couldn't shoot the it if she did.  So, I told her that she needed to speak to DH about it since it would give him practice during the summer.  Well, they got together and worked out that he will take care of her predator problem starting this week and she will let him deer hunt as often as he wants this fall!!! Yipee.  DH also told her he would share any deer that he kills with her.  She gets her predator problem solved, DH has a place to hunt that is closer to home, and both families get free meat. 

Shellia 

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 1:20 PM In reply to

Wow!  SheillaJean!  While Jews don't eat meat that hasn't been ritually slaughtered (Kosher meat), I can set my prejudice aside & tell you that that is one fantastic barter arrangeent!  Yours n Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Mon, Jun 30 2008 3:46 PM In reply to

Thanks Deb, I thought it was a great idea too.

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 4:53 PM In reply to

I haven't had the opportunity to barter. I guess I don't have any special skills or items anymore, lol. I did give a lady's kids free swimming lessons when I was a lifeguard and she altered a bridesmaid dress for free one summer. However, bartering was a huge part of my growing up. Both my parents owned businesses and bartering was part of payment for services rendered. My mother was a pre-school teacher and she would barter tuition for free meat, piano lessons for me, babysitting and even a house cleaning.

My dad is a small-town attorney. He barters for everything, lol. That's how I got my car repainted after I was in a fender-bender. We always get fresh meat from farmers (and produce even though my mom has a great garden). My parents just had their roof done and my dad paid for the shingles but bartered the labor (or part thereof). The house was painted on bartered labor and there were numerous other car and home repairs over the course of my growing up. Of course, I didn't know really if something was bartered or my dad hired someone to fix the furnace. But getting boxes and boxes of meat was usually an indication my dad was done with a 2 inch thick tax return for a large family farm operation!

Of course, sometimes bartering can be just another source of payment, which is technically income. There are tax provisions for bartering. Now, I'm not talking about a basket of tomatoes for a few hours of babysitting but things on a larger scale. And my dad had to be mindful that yes, someone can pay their bill to him with a 1/2 of beef, but he can't pay the electric bill by bartering. Or his secretarial help, lol. He still needed to be paid by cash for most of his services.

I think bartering is important and a good use of your time and talents.

Erika
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 6:02 PM In reply to

• Ranee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 30 2008
    • Posts 6

We barter for several things. That's part of how we ended up getting chickens and ducks for eggs. We traded my homemade bread for eggs with a local family. When they stopped raising poultry, we didn't like having to buy the store eggs which weren't as good, and we researched getting chickens. We now have a large flock which free range during the day, get scraps from us (and if we can get them from local grocery stores or restaurants, we do that, too) and the feed that we buy them. We trade eggs for produce, we trade our bees' pollination for fruit from a nearby orchard, things like that. We are very willing to trade my bread, preserves, our honey, whatever for other foods or services. We've so far not been disappointed by our trades, and everyone seems happy with it. Oh, a friend of mine who did great photography traded that for our eggs also.

Regards,

Ranee

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 10:19 AM In reply to

I barter for the hay for my animals...I haven't paid cash for hay in years! Good thing, because it's sky-hight this summer.

I bartered some tomato cages for a couple of quarts of homemade maple syrup.

I barter when I can...but with FRIENDS and not to try to get by cheap. I had someone I didn't kno want to barter a fancy terrier puppy for 6 goats, saying her dog was worth $ and my goats were worth $. NO WAY. I sure don't need a puppy, and my goat sales all go to animal feed, so I need the $ in that circumstance.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us