Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Favorite potato recipes?

Last post 07-14-2008 9:50 PM by latte4me2day. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2008 11:26 PM

Favorite potato recipes?

We've done soup,pan fried, salad, homemade in the oven with various spices, homemade fries, on the oven, in a hot dish with eggs and veggies, with vegetarian gravy, with vegetarian gravy with mushroom burgers cut up and onions (this is delicious, serve with stuffing- vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner)

so...

Want your favorite frugal ways to serve potatoes- any specialities?  

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• 06-21-2008 11:49 PM In reply to

Re: Favorite potato recipes?

my guys favorite is fries so don't go far from that much.  use frozen or the mccains precut and seasoned roast potatoes.

what about twice baked...yummy! have a stash in the freezer.  or scalloped or hashbrowns/hash with other veggies good but I get my scallop potato fix at mil's.  used to make homemade hashbrowns with fried eggs on top once a upon a time. crispy!

mashed potatos with different seasonings are so good, like cream cheese, or cooked and mashed together with carrots or sweet potato.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 06-22-2008 8:01 PM In reply to

Potato salad, mashed, fried, boiled potatoes then browned in bacon grease, baked with butter and sour crean.  Im getting hungry!  Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 06-22-2008 8:09 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

what about potato doughnuts , potato Gnocchi, potato pancakes ?

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 06-29-2008 3:13 PM In reply to

i bag of frozen hasbrown(hey it's a potato) 2cans crm of chicken soup 1 regular tub sour cream, 1cup grated mozza cheese, and 1 sauted onion, mix all together in a casserole dise and bake on hour @350 if you want you can put crushed cornflakes on the top before baking! SOOOOOOO yummy! 

• 06-29-2008 4:33 PM In reply to

One of my favorite ways to prepare and eat potatoes is to peel, quarter, then slice them onto sheets of aluminum foil. I season them them with salt & pepper, dab on a few pats of butter, wrap them up in the foil, and then throw them on the grill for about 20-30 minutes, or place the foil packets on a baking sheet, and bake at 375* for 35-45 minutes (depending on how crisp you'd like them, and how full your packet is).

Brian's favorite way to eat potatoes is simply mashed with milk, butter, salt & pepper. I myself, could probably eat my weight in that cheesy hashbrown casserole!!! LOL

~*~Angie~*~

• 07-06-2008 4:38 PM In reply to

• Julie T
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2007
    • Central Minnesota
    • Posts 106

I make these potato packets as well, but I add a slice of bacon cut in half and a few baby carrots. I either grill in the summer or roast in the oven rest of the time.

Julie  Wink

• 07-06-2008 5:59 PM In reply to

The packets sound good.  Thanks for ideas!  I made a ton of potato salad last week. 

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• 07-10-2008 2:07 PM In reply to

Julie T:

I make these potato packets as well, but I add a slice of bacon cut in half and a few baby carrots. I either grill in the summer or roast in the oven rest of the time.

Julie  Wink

Ooooh...the bacon sounds SO good!! I might have to try that in my packet of potatoes...there is no way Brian would eat it like that. He prefers his food prepared rather simply...the few ingredients the better. Wink Anyway, thanks for the idea!!

~*~Angie~*~

• 07-11-2008 9:45 AM In reply to

well  i dont know if its considered "frugal"

potato salad (this is my recipe, i dont like potato salad, but i like MINE----all amounts are eyeballed amounts as i dont measure anything)

12 potatoes peeled and chunked, boiled for 15 minutes( dont make em mushy!) drain water---pour cooled water on yard where hose doesnt reach, cool under running cold water

1 green bell pepper, diced (you only need half, save time, dice the whole thing, and use the rest later in the week)

1 red bell pepper, diced (you only need half, save time, dice the whole thing, and use the rest later in the week)

1 orange OR yellow bell pepper diced (you only need half, save time, dice the whole thing, and use the rest later in the week)

1 red onion diced (you only need 1/3 of it, but save time and dice the whole thing and use it later)

2 green onions diced

1/2 cup diced (or shredded) cheddar cheese----ive used whatever cheese i have, but i like sharp cheddar the best, i like the cheese diced , but if kids are helping i will have them shred the cheese for me and use it instead of diced

1 can of olives, cut in half (you only need 1/3 of it, but  cut the rest for later use)

4 baby pickles (or 1 clausen pickle---i like the clausen pickles the best) diced

toss all listed ingrediants in bowl, mix well

in small bowl mix together

1/2 cup mayonaise (ive tried with mircle whip, and thats just wrong, use mayonaise)

4 tablespoons mustard

2 teaspoons red wine vinager

1 tablespoon picke juice

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon parsley flakes

few dashes of paprika, few dashes of cayenne pepper

mix these together well, and then mix wit hthe potato ingrediants

:) enjoy and just remember these are all eyeballed amounts

this amount of potato salad, lasts my family of 4 for  2 dinners and lunch for 2

now all those extra stuffs you cut up? use it for pasta salad, maek the same yet use pasta instead of potatoes, or use the leftover ingrediants for pizza

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us