Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

AACK!!! Self Cleaning Oven FIRE

Last post Sun, Dec 28 2008 6:29 PM by Pat. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 13 2007 2:12 PM

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

AACK!!! Self Cleaning Oven FIRE

!!!!   I turned it off right away.  I made some oven fries and some of the cooking oil dripped onto the bottom of the oven.  I turned on the self cleaning feature and ALOT of smoke started coming out of the stove top vent so I put on the exhaust fan and a floor fan.  After about 10 minutes of heating up flames about 3" tall started on the floor of the oven where the baked on crud is.  !!!!    Can I still use the self cleaning feature or do I have to use a cleaner like Easy Off?  I really want to make bananna bread tomorrow and can't use the oven as it is smokey due to the oil that is baked on.   HELP!!!

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Wed, Jun 13 2007 2:24 PM In reply to

Re: AACK!!! Self Cleaning Oven FIRE

I would NOT use the self-cleaning function now.  It would be too dangerous.  My personal choice is to use a citrus cleanser (like Simple Green) as an environmentally- & health-friendly alternative to Easy-Off (lye).  Take the racks out so that you can clean the floor of the oven AND the rest of the oven more easily. Wash the racks, too.  Then, rinse well.  Also, don't you have a smoke alarm?  It could be the difference between life & severe injury.  Take it from someone with 2ndd degree burns over 20% of my body, being burned is NO FUN!  Honest!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Wed, Jun 13 2007 2:57 PM In reply to

Also, you need to keep baking soda by the rangetop, to use on rangetop fires, AND you need an "ABC" fire extinguisher, which is good on grease fires, & 2 other types that I don't know.  I don't think that once you had the oven door cloosed, you should open it to use teh fire extinguisher on.  Does anyone else know how to handle this situation?

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Fri, Jul 27 2007 4:16 PM In reply to

• Jusmom1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 30 2007
    • Posts 33

I had the fireman at my house for Thanksgiving pie and coffee a few years ago for just the same reason.  We had all finished Thanksgiving dinner and were sitting down to coffee and pie.  I decided to be proactive and clean my oven with the self cleaning feature.  Unfortunately some of the turkey grease had fallen to the bottom of the oven and i couldn't see it because of the black coloring of the oven.  My whole kitchen filled with smoke, setting of my security system fire alarm.  The fire department (all volunteers...on Thanksgiving Day nonetheless!) arrived within a few minutes.  We discovered that if you are using the self cleaning option you will NOT be able to open the oven to use a fire extinguisher or baking soda.  We called GE while the firemen were there...absolutely no way to open the oven while in self clean mode.  The firemen said there were two options...use an ax to hack open my two month old stove, or sit there and watch it burn itself out.  I chose watching it burn itself out!  They set up large fans in my doors to exhaust the smoke as it was being generated.   It was a Thanksgiving I'm sure NONE of us will ever forget!

Lin 

• Sat, Jul 28 2007 10:16 AM In reply to

• Jim
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 104

Jusmom1:
    The fire department (all volunteers...on Thanksgiving Day nonetheless!) arrived within a few minutes.

As a volunteer firefighter I just want to say that it is much nicer to get called out to something like that than to have someone wait till it's too late until they call us and we have a big fire to deal with.

• Sat, Jul 28 2007 11:41 AM In reply to

• Jusmom1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 30 2007
    • Posts 33

I felt SO bad having those poor volunteers come out on Thanksgiving Day.  The least i could do was offer them coffee and pie!  It scared me so badly that now before i self clean I clean it with the Easy Off made for self cleaning ovens...kind of redundant but I don't ever want that to happen again! 

Lin 

• Sat, Jul 28 2007 12:52 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I'm glad I read all of this. I have a self cleaning oven, but it's the only one I've owned and have only had it cleaned a few times. I'll have to remember to check for greasy or oily spills before doing it again, but I probably won't use the feature very often. One, it takes a lot of electricity and another, if I have to clean it first, I might as well just go ahead and clean it!

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sun, Jul 29 2007 10:48 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

I have my mom's old self cleaning oven. I have only used the self cleaning mode two times and am pretty sure I wouldn't use it very often either. I am glad that your situation didn't become more serious than it was.

• Mon, Jul 30 2007 8:26 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

On a second attempt, it burnt itself out immediately. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sat, Dec 27 2008 4:50 AM In reply to

• yosal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 27 2008
    • Posts 3

The fire department just left my house.  It was 2 am and I was cleaning out the kitchen, getting ready for a garage sale or to give all the "extras" to a charity.  As I was working in the kitchen I noticed that instead my oven was a large fire.  Being that it was self-cleaning the door was locked.  When the fire department arrived they said it was best that we were not able to open the oven because the oxygen would have produced a bigger fire.  The grease fire burned itself out and I have cleaned the bottom of the oven and the grill where the pizza grease had fallen.  I guess we should never use the self-cleaning feature without first wiping the grease off.  I'm wondering if my oven is usable now that there has been a fire in it.  Does anyone know?

Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us