Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Meat Per Pound

Last post Wed, Jun 4 2008 5:22 PM by mamasjob. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:04 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Meat Per Pound

What is the average you pay per pound for meat?

• Less than a $1.00 (0%)
    • $1.00 (0%)
    • $1.01 - $1.99 (28.6%)
    • $2.00- $2.99 (57.1%)
    • $3.00 - $3.99 (14.3%)
    • More than $3.99 (0%)
    • Total Votes: 14
    • Voting Ended: 8/31/2008
    The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:09 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Meat Per Pound

Jeff Yeager's philosophy is to only pay $1 or less per pound for food.

John Smith has found pork on sale at $1 a pound and recommends buying other meats when they are $2 a pound. You can read his opinion on the matter at The Dollar Stretcher.

Reading Jeff's book and John's article made me wonder how many of us are finding those prices on meat with the rising cost of food. So put your vote in and share your thoughts as well.

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:12 AM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 24 2007
    • Posts 868

About three months ago I was still able to fing ground beef, boneless skinless chicken breasts, and pork chops on sale for .99 quite frequently.  However I haven't been able to do so recently.  I* still have alot of ground beef and pork chops in the freezer, but will need to start picking up other things as they go on sale.

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:13 AM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,065

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:14 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I said 2 - 2.99, but that was a wild guess. I pay anywhere from less than a dollar to $5 a pound, depending on what it is and how far it will stretch. For instance, I sometimes buy a pound of ground buffalo for $5. Sounds expensive, but I can get several meals from it. It has little to no fat, doesn't shrink when it's cooked and the flavor is so good that it doesn't take as much as beef in casseroles or skillet dishes. 

About the only thing I know of around here for a dollar is cheap hotdogs, unless it's on sale or marked down for quick sale. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:31 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

While I am thinking about meat prices. I tried to find the sale chicken at the store and I suppose it was all gone. The regular price on boneless skinless chicken that was available was $4.99 a pound!

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 12:50 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

just realised that hotdogs are more expensive now then most of the meats I buy!   good quality hotdogs maple leaf etc are now $3.49 a package which is a lb for 8 or 12.

most of my meats are between 2 -2.99 a lb.   pork I can get for a 1.69 - 1.99 on sale most of the time, all types except bacon.  lean ground beef is cheap. even the good hormone free stuff is 1.99 for a 10lb pack.   ground chicken is about $1 to 1.69 a lb.

roasts are 2.50 to 2.99 a lb.  steaks I buy cheapest I find it on sale.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Jun 4 2008 4:22 PM In reply to

about a month ago i bought 50 lbs of ground beef on-line from la cense beef. with the coupon it ended up being about $2.50/lb. It is free range, and really awesome meat. Not to mention it cost about the same as the regular ground beef around here.

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 5:22 PM In reply to

We buy (or split with my folks) a side or quarter of beef. It averages about $2.50 a pound. While that is expensive for ground beef or roasts, we also get T Bones, sirloin, rib roast, rib eye steak, stew meat, ground chuck, rump and chuck roasts, arm of round and ox tail if we ask for it. So it evens out. And it's hormone free and fielded so natural grass fed.

Chicken I can still find whole for 99 cents a pound. Breasts alone are closer to $2.

I buy pork on sale quite a bit so we have variety. Fish I snap up at bargain prices as well. I love finding fish for 99 cents or $2 a pound.

I need to incorporate more turkey in our diet. Ground and breast. I need to start pricing it.

Erika
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us