Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Birdwatching

Last post Thu, May 15 2008 12:05 PM by Edey. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 13 2008 11:09 PM

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Birdwatching

Has anyone noticed any different birds around your community? We were sitting outside for Mother's Day and noticed birds we have never seen before in our neighborhood. We had a bird i.d. book handy and one of the birds we identified, a brown crested flycatcher, according to the book (by Audobon), it's only supposed to be in Arizona and southern Texas. I'm in Los Angeles County. It was a long way from home. We also like to watch the hummingbird wars around the yard, when they try to buzz each other away from the feeders.

It was cheap amusement and our grandson enjoyed it. It was very relaxing. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Wed, May 14 2008 12:39 AM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Re: Birdwatching

We are a part of the Mississippi flyway, so twice a year we see birds that are not usually here the rest of the year. One of the times, in recent years, that I really enjoyed the bird watching was when an unusual number of cedar waxwings spent a week in a bush across the road, near the pond. There were so many and they were so beautiful. We have noticed more sandhill cranes in our area over the last few years. They are awesome birds to watch. We also enjoy the humming birds here. I haven't put my feeders up yet, even though they are back.

• Wed, May 14 2008 9:13 AM In reply to

I've been in this house for just a year and it took a long time for any birds to visit my yard. We have several feral cats in the neighborhood who favored my yard for some unknown reason. I tried a couple of different kinds of bird seed and finally found some that brings in the little pretty ones. There are a couple that look like escaped house birds (feral finches?) with red crests and one that looks like a canary.I love to watch them even if I don't know what they are and they make a mess. They also love the gingerbread cookies that were too hard to eat.

• Wed, May 14 2008 10:50 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I haven't noticed any new birds around here, but I had to quit feeding them (squirrels!) and don't notice them as much. They say that bird ranges have been changing somewhat, possibly due to warmer temperatures, but I wonder if it's due to changing habitat, too.

There aren't nearly as many birds in town as I used to see when I lived in the country. I miss seeing them.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, May 14 2008 11:11 AM In reply to

We've been hearing lots of birds, but aside from the usual blue jays and robins nothing new so far. We have a lot of cats in our neighborhood that roam outside during the warmer months, including our own, plus some ferals that everyone feeds, so that seems the keep the birds up in the trees where they're hard to see even though we have a ton of feeders up.  The most exotic thing I've seen so far this year is the baby bat that was hanging out in our patio doorway two weekends ago.  Unfortunately we had to move him (he/she and the cats were having a hissing match) and it doesn't look like he made it Sad

• Thu, May 15 2008 10:01 AM In reply to

• CharlieB
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 11 2008
    • Michigan
    • Posts 319

Being out in the country, we have a lot of different kinds of birds, and we do see or hear something different now and then.  One year we had a Yellowlegs at the pond and looking in the birdbook, it must have been in migration.  It hung around about 2-3 weeks, then was gone.  A few years ago we had a Willow Flycather too, and I think it's been back each year.  After a certain time though, it moves on too.  I'm happy we have Sandhill Cranes around this area, and they stay all year.  Hummingbirds are the best, even though they do whiz around and fight all the time.  It is cheap amusement (ha), but it's fun.

• Thu, May 15 2008 10:16 AM In reply to

I keep two hummingbird feeders with fresh sugar water out during the spring & summer months and have yet to see a hummingbird up here in NH.  In MD we had them all the time Sad.  I should have mentioned we have the world's most annoying woodpecker living in the treeline behind our garden lol

• Thu, May 15 2008 12:05 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

There are woodpeckers up in the mountains where my son lives, and I love hearing their scritchy call. He also has a bright yellow bird that may be an oriole, and he has blue jays.

One of my favorites to watch when we are traveling around is what I think is a chickadee or nuthatch; a little rounded gray and white bird that walks upside down on the side of a tree looking for bugs. It is so funny to watch. One of the best bird watching areas we have been to was the Grand Canyon. Many different types of birds and they weren't afraid of people, probably because of the goodies they can mooch from the campers. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us