Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Vacuums

Last post Mon, May 5 2008 10:40 PM by MarthaMFI. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 4 2008 12:30 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Vacuums

I need a new vaccum but it's not yet in the budget to buy one so I am gathering my information for now. A couple of years ago, I had a bagless upright with a HEPA filter and I loved it. But we had different flooring then so I don't know if what I had would be the best to use now.

We have hardwood or stone floors through the house with the exception of carpet in the children's room. I'd like something that would be versatile. Does anyone have recommendations?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, May 4 2008 4:00 PM In reply to

Re: Vaccums

Awhile back there was an article in the DS about vacuums that I am going to take up when mine goes KaBlewie! ... getting a shop-vac. No bags are needed and they last a long time! The article mentions that you can buy attachments pretty cheaply (~$20?)... But that is just me (I don't need the HEPA).  

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Sun, May 4 2008 5:20 PM In reply to

Re: Vacuums

I think (I'm not sure) that you can get shop-vacs with a HEPA filter.

I have hardwood, and my father bought me a Hoover Floor-mate for it... which I loved at first, until I realized how much easier it is to just sweep hardwood.  Vacuum cleaners mostly just shove things around on hardwood; they don't pick up very much.  I also bought a dust mop - the kind with a removable, washable cloth cover - to use in between moppings.  I would get whatever you need for the carpeted areas, and not worry about vacuuming the hardwood; it's not worth it.  Although a shop vac works great on smooth surfaces - I used mine in the basement on the cement floor before I painted it, and it was great.

• Mon, May 5 2008 7:14 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

karenteacher:
    Vacuum cleaners mostly just shove things around on hardwood; they don't pick up very much

Dust and debris likes to stick to any rough spots, and into the grooves between the planks. Sweeping doesn't remove this so I was hoping a vacuum might be able to get the job done.

• Mon, May 5 2008 8:12 AM In reply to

• CharlieB
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 11 2008
    • Michigan
    • Posts 319

I use my upright bagless vacuum on our hardwood and tile floors.  There's a setting to lower to Hard Floor (although since most of my house is carpeted, I rarely lower it).  Sometimes I sweep with a broom too, but when I vacuum the carpets, I also vacuum the floors.  It picks up pretty good, and is fairly quick.  I use the tube for dirt in corners & along edges.  We have a dog and on the hard surface floors, we get little fur dustballs and the vacuum is good for those (whereas the broom seems to "blow" them around).  We got our Hoover vacuum at Wal-Mart.

• Mon, May 5 2008 8:12 AM In reply to

I have a tip on what not to buy - I got mom one of those rechargable stick-type vacuums because they're so lightweight and easy for older folks to use.  But their suction power is nil.  It's fine for quick pick ups for her, but once a month or so, I have to take my big hulking vac over and do her carpets good for her.  That type might do better on hardwood, but I haven't been impressed with them at all on carpeting...Liz 

• Mon, May 5 2008 10:10 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Charlie,

CharlieB:
    we get little fur dustballs and the vacuum is good for those (whereas the broom seems to "blow" them around

We have that problem when we do let the dog in which thankfully is rare.

• Mon, May 5 2008 10:55 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I prefer a small shop-vac too because the suction is greater, and use it mostly for things other than the floors. The floors I sweep or dust mop. For dust bunnies, cobwebs, cat litter, and the messes of life it's the shop vac. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Mon, May 5 2008 10:57 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Do you use a floor attachment for the shop vac?

• Mon, May 5 2008 10:40 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

shop vacs are great. I prefer to vacuum instead of sweep with the birds and cat hair. Just the brush head (the one with bristles on it about a foot wide)  works well in between using power head for carpets.  need rotating brushes to get all the cat hair out of carpets.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us