Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Walking as free exercise -- beats a gym!

Last post 05-10-2008 1:56 AM by heatherd. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2008 8:05 PM

Walking as free exercise -- beats a gym!

Dear All, I've lost 14 lbs since teh beginnign of Nov, & I'm still eating just about the same amount of food.  I've done it by increasing my walking.  I try to walk (as fast as I can) about 35-40 minutes a few times a week.  Once a month or so, I plan a "heroic" walk -- generally round-trip with my grocery cart to a store that takes that long to get to one-way.  How do others feel about walking?  What is your favorite (cheap) form of exercise?  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 04-29-2008 11:51 PM In reply to

Re: Walking as free exercise -- beats a gym!

Walking is the only form of "exercise" that I enjoy!!

I am limited on it though since my car accident 8 yrs ago. I used to do 5k walks for charity but now am lucky if i can do 2 miles and survive the next day. I twisted my knee yesterday, therefore, putting it more pain. I got thinking more of doing a total knee surgery, despite the risks, so I can do more. (Most surgeons are hesistant since I'm so young and they don't know long replacements last). 

Nothing to me is better than playing music on my (now) mp4 player or old-school style of a cassette walkman.

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 04-30-2008 12:30 AM In reply to

Way to go Deb! I love walking. I like jogging but I have a knee that hurts sometime.  If I can get out of the house, I go walking without kids...... a sanity break for me.  Another cheap excercise are my excercise dvd's.  I can alternate them a do a different workout. When I get lazy and don't excercise my back starts to hurt and I feel tired all day.  So I get back to work and feel much better.  I am very healthy and I know it is because I excercise (even when it's minimal sometimes) and keep my weight down, and genetics play their part too.
  • 04-30-2008 7:40 AM In reply to

Good job Deb!  I've never been a gym-type workout person, so I try to get exercise in ways that don't seem so much like exercising.  Fast walking is a good one.  Our mailbox is a half-mile to the road (1 mile round trip), so sometimes me and the dog "hoof" it.  Riding bike is another, although in the country, it's better to go at times when there's less traffic 'cause the roads are 40-50 mph.  Gardening is another.  We also do kayaking and canoeing in the summer.  It's easy and gives upper body exercise.  There are many lakes in our area, some with streams or creeks.  Kayaks allow us access to explore many small lakes (non-motorboat lakes).  We not only get exercise paddling around, but swimming too.

• 04-30-2008 7:44 AM In reply to

You go Deb!  : )  We walk the dogs down the river trail twice a week.  I have a stationary recumbent bike in the living room I ride for 20 minutes each day, I am not a group exerrcise person.  I also am now riding Brian's European Recumbent racing bike twice a week.  I love the alone and quiet time.  I have lost 129 pounds as of last Monday since 4 December, but mine is due to extensive surgery not much exercise.  : )

Brianschef Michelle 

• 04-30-2008 11:04 AM In reply to

Dear Luvd_Lioness, It always makes me so unhappy when I hear how you have suffered, & continue to do.  May the good L-rd bless you & keep you.  Yours in Him, Deb

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 04-30-2008 11:09 AM In reply to

Dear Michelle Brianschef, Just curious -- what is the digfference between a "regular" American stationary bike & an European recumbant one?

Remember to keep trying to eat!  You said that you can afford to lose the weight, but your body still needs protein (particularly).  (I know that with your kidney condition, you have to limit protein.  But in eating just 1/2 cup of total food daily, it seems to me that protein ought to be emphasized -- am I wrong?)  And I hopethat you are taking appropriate vitamin & mineral supplements -- are you?

Yours in Him, Deb

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 04-30-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

Congratulations!!!  That's awesome!

• 04-30-2008 7:58 PM In reply to

Deborahmichelle:
    Dear Michelle Brianschef, Just curious -- what is the digfference between a "regular" American stationary bike & an European recumbant one?

I'll answer this despite it not being directed at me... "regular" is like a regular bicycle that is ridden on the street; "recumbant" are where you sit and pedal as if you were sitting in a chair.  

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 05-01-2008 12:39 AM In reply to

walking is very healthy and lowers blood pressure this arobic exercise would be the easiest to do starting slow then work up to a comfortable speed,beyond that cheaper then driving a car at times my dog loves it and it is time to get my winter weight off...

cindy  :)

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us