Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Mother's Day

Last post 05-03-2008 9:07 PM by Pat. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2008 12:12 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Mother's Day

It just dawned on me that it's coming up quickly. My Mom just turned 85 and has Alzheimer's, though not really bad yet. Does anyone have any idea of what I could make for her? I knitted a shrug for Christmas with some books. I'd like to find something unique but useful for someone who really doesn't need anything. How's that for a tall order? Wink 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 04-21-2008 12:32 PM In reply to

Re: Mother's Day

Pat...

Just a suggestion...The year after my Mother in Law was diag. with Alzheimer's we gave her for mothers day a "Photo-Calendar" which we got through the local Walgreen Drug Store Photo Department...We used some of her favorite photos....

May - Was Her photo with her childern when they were young....

June- Old photo of her brother - whose birthday was in June...

July - Photo of a previous 4th of July family picnic....

The jest was to help her remember family and friends....she really enjoyed looking at the next months photo...and seemed to keep her aware of of family members that were no longer around.

deb in az

• 04-21-2008 12:50 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

That's a neat idea, Deb, thanks. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 04-21-2008 1:13 PM In reply to

Thanks! I too, have completely forgotten about it. My mother is 82 and definitely showing signs of dementia. I have been helping, through organization and encouragement, my father tackle being her main caretaker as well as tasks he had never done before. I have been very focused with this challenge as well as my other obligations, and completely forgot about Mother's Day!

My mother-in-law has Alzheimer's, and DH and did not know what to get her for her birthday gift earlier this year. In the end, we created a family gift of a DVD player and 1940's type movies. I do not think it has been installed. :-(  My husband will visit his mother and probably bring sweets or flowers for Mother's Day.

My mother is only interested in watching television (they already have plenty of movies and a DVD player) and feeling comfortable. She only reads the newspaper. She likes my coconut macaroons, so I guess I will make them for her. Unfortunately, even that choice may not be a good one. My daughter made biscotti as a Christmas present for her, and they are still on the counter uneaten. 

Some choices you might want to think about is taking her out to lunch in a fancy restaurant, having her hair styled, bringing her for a manicure or pedicure, or bringing her out to a museum.

I read an article recently concerning the therapeutic benefits of art museums and Alzheimer's patients. One program took the anxious patients to each picture and discussed it with them. The patients seemed to be somewhat open in discussing the paintings. One "session," or visit, could reduce anxiety for approximately three weeks. I thought this was great news for my in-laws. I printed the article and the addresses of all the art museums in their area. My FIL  refused to take her.

I have also read where knitting and crocheting can hold off dementia, so I will sit with my mother a couple of times per week in the sunshine (weather permitting) and we chat while I knit and she crochets. My mother becomes more calm and more like her old self during these times. I do not know if it will have any long term effect in the future. 

Maybe I will change my mind, and take her out to a restaurant.  

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • 04-21-2008 1:23 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

My sister and I took her out to lunch last year, but I'm not sure she's up to it this year. Besides Alzheimer's she has knee problems that keep her from walking much and arthritis stopped her from crocheting several years ago. She gets carsick so we can't take her very far... ack! 

If we could get her into a wheelchair (she's also contrary at times), she might enjoy a pioneer museum here, thanks for the idea. She still reads quite a bit, but there's a limit to how many books one can give. 

It's really hard to know what will catch her interest and what won't.   

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 04-21-2008 1:30 PM In reply to

Pat,

What about doing a picnic lunch at the place or in a park close by? Spending time might be just as good as a gift... Huh?

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 04-21-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

A picnic lunch in the park might be a good idea, thanks!

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 04-21-2008 2:16 PM In reply to

I understand. Neither my mother or MIL make it "easy." Just because we think it is something that they would like, or liked something in the past, doesn't mean they really would like it now. Time together is more important.  

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • 04-21-2008 2:38 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

I'm kind of leaning toward a picnic right now. I'll talk to my sister and see if we can get together on it; it would be easier if both of us were there. I wish she could ride, we could take her to a state nature park about an hour away. I think she would enjoy the birds. Maybe. Smile 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 04-22-2008 10:51 AM In reply to

The Vermont Country Store has a bunch of old-timey and immigrant (like German and Swedish) cookies, cakes and candies that you can't much find anywhere else.  I got my husand's elderly aunts plum puddings with brandy sauce for Christmas (also got my grandmother one and one for me!).  Taking into account anyone who is diabetic, most elderly people can eat sweets, and if you can get something they remember from childhood, then it's an even better surprise. 

The other two things that have gone over well with elderly family members are Gardener's Therapy hand creme from Crabtree and Evelyn, which my mother has declared the very best thing for dry and cracked hands; and I got my grandparents a bottle of hand and foot creme from The Vermont store that is supposed to help improve circulation and warm you hands/feet up.  I didn't think to ask them the last time I saw them if it worked, but they we interested to try it when they unwrapped it (they're cold a lot). 

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us