Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Fitness

Last post Sun, Apr 13 2008 10:27 AM by CharlieB. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 10 2008 9:32 AM

Frugal Fitness

I've been browsing around for ideas to get in shape without shelling out for a gym membership. Here's a few things I've come up with, aside from the usual walking/jogging/sports.

http://yoga.org.nz/ This site has a free downloadable yoga video that's challenging, but meant for beginners.

http://www.yogatoday.com/ A free one hour yoga lesson daily, 7 days a week. You can also watch videos from the previous 14 days with levels indicated. If you enter your email address, they'll send you the schedule every week for the daily lessons. Today's is "Embodying the Breath."

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/ Want to train like a solider? Everything from weight loss programs, diet & nutrition to workouts. They have a lot of really informative articles and tips. You can even view exercises broken down by branch of service. Just reading the Marine Corps training makes my muscles ache! Wink

Aside form that, there are tons of exercise videos on YouTube and exercise podcasts on iTunes. Most libraries have exercise DVDs that can be checked out. If you have digital cable or dish, there's On Demand exercise shows. And of course there's FitTV.

Walmart & Target have dumbells, yoga mats, DVDs, etc. for cheap.

Try craigslist & freecycle for exercise equipment. I've seen ellipticals going on CL for around $75...can't wait for that tax rebate to get here so I can start setting up a "gym" in our basement!

• Thu, Apr 10 2008 10:17 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Frugal Fitness

I love Tae Bo and found a set of DVDs on sale for $20. I also had a few Yogo books that I bought for less than a $1 each at thrift stores.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Apr 10 2008 10:24 AM In reply to

Dear All, Ariana said to skip walking as a post on this thread , but I can't help it as it is my main exercise.  I walk about 1-1/2 miles every other day (sometimes 2ce in a row, like today & tomorrow).  I have a clear destination in mind, either a store or my personal physician's office.  Sometimes, I walk back as well.  I have been sheddign pounds well (10 lbs since late Oct '07), & this seems to have been the trick.  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Thu, Apr 10 2008 10:35 AM In reply to

Yes, walking and running are free, frugal exercise that anyone can do. But I also need to "mix it up" and cross-train as well. I appreciate the links! Just running or walking for me gets a little boring (especially when I can't go outside and have to do it on the treadmill). I do have a yoga DVD and a Pilates DVD. I have Tae Bo tapes, too, that I should get out and use. Pushing a 23 lb toddler on the swing at the park for 20 minutes also is a good workout, LOL! Find a small child and tone those arm muscles!

While walking is probably the cheapest exercise, it's good to have some other free, interesting options to keep motivation going. Thanks, Ariana!

Also, exercising with a friend or family member is a great motivator! No one "needs" a gym membership if you can get outside!

Erika
  • Thu, Apr 10 2008 10:41 AM In reply to

Just looked at the military-exercise website. Yikes! Surprise But I would love to be in that condition!

Erika
  • Thu, Apr 10 2008 10:54 AM In reply to

Oh Deb, I hope I didn't offend you! I certainly didn't mean that walking wasn't a great form of exercise.  Its free and works like a charm!  I just wanted to offer some other frugal ideas to help mix things up.  Wink

I love yoga.  The health benefits are amazing, not just physically but spiritually and mentally as well.  I suffer from anxiety disorder/depression and doing yoga with the meditation and breathing exercises has been more beneficial for me than the prescriptions. I have less anxiety attacks now than when I was on the "head meds!" 

• Thu, Apr 10 2008 11:00 AM In reply to

No, no, Ariana.  You did NOT offend me; I just felt the need to exercise making the statement of how I exercise!  Yours in Him, Deb

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Thu, Apr 10 2008 11:23 AM In reply to

I understand Deb Smile  I've found that the best money investment for any type of exercise is a good pair of sneakers/tennis shoes.  By "good" I don't mean $150 Nikes, but a pair that is comfortable and will last a while.  I have a pair of Champion sneakers I bought clearenced out at $25 that I've had for years that still look new, are comfortable (no blisters or rubbing) and in good shape.

• Sun, Apr 13 2008 9:54 AM In reply to

Dear Ariana & All, I do not own designatged "athletic shoes," sneakers or whatever.  A couple of years ago, I had a credit from Eddy Bauer, because I had ret urned a jacket  that had shrunk when laundered according to directions.  I think it was for about $60.  I looked through their clearance section online for shoes, & found a pair of Keen walkers.  I have worn them almost invariably when outside for the ensuing 2 years (I've worn rainboots a fwe times, & old shoes when walking on the sand at the ocean.).  (I wear slippers inside my apt.)  They hardly show signs of wear!  I praise G-d for helping out my budget in this way!  Yours in Him, Deb

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sun, Apr 13 2008 10:27 AM In reply to

• CharlieB
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 11 2008
    • Michigan
    • Posts 319

Another good form of exercise is bike riding.  When I lived in town, I loved just riding around on my bike.  Didn't even seem like exercise really.  I've had lower back pain since 18, and riding bike really reduced the aches and pain in my back.  Around this area, I see bikes for sale in people's yards fairly often (spring & summer).  A good used one is an option instead of buying new.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us