Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Started the Compost Pile

Last post Sun, Mar 30 2008 6:10 PM by Brandy. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 30 2008 10:10 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Started the Compost Pile

I started a temporary compost pile. When we finish laying out our yard plan then I'll decide where it needs to be permanently.

So one self sufficient goal begun!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 10:51 AM In reply to

Re: Stated the Compost Pile

Dear Brandy, Good for you!

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, several communities, including the City itself, has "blue cans" in which homeowners can dump compostable mate rials.  Then they are placed into City compost heaps.  (We also have garbage cans & recylcing cans.)

Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 11:01 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Worm culture - growing worms in a box in the back yard that eat up kitchen scraps - a side line of which is worms to sell for fish bait or to help build good garden soil. This is something I looked into, and still have the idea mulling around in my head. Edey

Here is a website: http://gardening.wsu.edu/stewardship/compost/kitchen/wormcomp/worm1.htm

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sun, Mar 30 2008 11:18 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I had a worm bed but ummm....I was err rescuing them from death as they waited to become fish bait.

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 5:55 PM In reply to

A compost heap is a great asset to any garden. We have a very large area with 4 seperate piles.

We had a great addition to these piles this past week.My dear husband passes a horse hotel on his way to and from work.He has been able to pick up for free as much horse manure as we can use. The hotel has 21 horses so there is a lot.

He picked up three loads so far.He rigged up this system to pull it off the back of the pick up truck right into the compost area.

Yesterday his rigging broke while trying to pull the load off the truck.We just stood looking at this more than a ton of manure both knowing the only way it was coming off the truck was if we got up there pitchforks in hand and moved it off.Of course it was windy so no matter where you stood you had the fragrence to deal with.

It took about an hour to move it. Boy were we a mess!

Hopefully he will be able to fix the rigging so we can use it again next time.

Have you ever seen a white Jack Russel after they "help" you clean up a mess like that.

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 6:10 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Kimmary:

Have you ever seen a white Jack Russel after they "help" you clean up a mess like that.

Can I skip on ever seeing that, lol.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us