Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Anyone out there trying to lose weight?

Last post Thu, Mar 27 2008 2:50 PM by lala. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 24 2008 4:34 PM

Anyone out there trying to lose weight?

Share your thoughts/ tricks/ plans? I'm starting today.  Yeah...

I hate counting calories but It shows me how much I need to eat (calorie king website).  I am not too overweight but now I have love handles and fat around my mid section (I can hide it well) that I hate especially when I sit down, it drives me nuts.  I probably need to lose 10 pounds at the most and It's not as easy as people think. If I follow the calorie counting method I can lose 1-2 a week so in about 8-10 weeks I should look much better?

The foods I love to eat:  icecream, chocolate and bread. I hate being hungry!!

• Mon, Mar 24 2008 4:51 PM In reply to

Re: Anyone out there trying to lose weight?

Eat 500 calories LESS per day and increase your exercise (ie.take steps versus elevator) will help. 7 days x 500 calories = 3500 calories = 1 pound (not good at converting to metric) This way you will not feel deprived of foods (I never use the word DIEt) but just learn to eat smarter.  Trick for me in eating ice cream - fill a cone and eat that. You have portion control. (That's a weakness of mine too).

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Mon, Mar 24 2008 6:19 PM In reply to

Dear Carmina, As someone who has lost 14 pounds since Oct, & who HATES to restrict diet, I have found that one thing that works is to walk a mile and a half (45 minutes) at a very fast pace, twice a week or three times a week, & to walk for 20 minutes at a very fast pace on the other days.  The otehr trick is to shift all of your carbs eating to lunch, make it a very heavy meal.  Then, just eat a light portion of protein with some veggie when you'd normally eat dinner.  NEVER skip breakfast. 

Works well for me -- especially with a prayer!  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Mon, Mar 24 2008 6:31 PM In reply to

Here's my plan that seems to be working - don't change your calorie intake yet, just add some exercise to your daily routine.  I have begun daily treadmill walking (started out with half a mile, 10 minutes, now up to 1 mile, 20 minutes, sometimes after that first mile, I just keep walking).  I bought a little mp3 player and have some big headphones and I just get on the treadmill at 3 miles per hour and walk.  I have been doing this for 2 weeks, have lost 10 pounds and about an inch or two.  I had to start out at 10 minutes because I just couldn't imagine walking more than that and I didn't want to get "burned out" by walking a hundred miles a day (exaggeration, but still . . . ) before I really even gave it a chance.

Oh, I forgot to add that I walk with 2 pound weights in my hands.  My biceps are showing some nice tone, now.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Anonymous

Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once.

Anonymous
  • Mon, Mar 24 2008 9:20 PM In reply to

Previously I lost 42 pounds by going to Curves 3 times a week, counting calories, and walking 6 days a week ( 4 miles in 60 minutes).

Then I went on Zoloft and gained most of it back this past year. Super Angry

Off of the med, started back at Curves this past month or so, but it's still too icy on our road to walk. As soon as i have some dry pavement and above freezing weather I'll be back out there with my dog. My target date is next Monday March 31 to start counting calories again. For now I'm just being cautious. I love my pedometer. If you don't have one you should get one and aim for 10,000 steps a day. They are around $10.

Some have said that a gym membership isn't frugal, but I am home all day with my boys and I NEED to get out for my "girl-power-half-hour"! It's mood enhancing as well as good for my body.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Mar 24 2008 9:30 PM In reply to

also check your BMI, body mass index. There are thin people with a poor index number because they have very little muscle to body fat ratio. Here's link to a BMI calculator:

http://www.slim-fast.com/tools/bmi/index.asp

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Mar 24 2008 9:37 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

still, again, always, ongoing, does that about sum it up for me?  yup.   sigh...I often think if I could just get the sewing machine and take in some seams here and there... 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Tue, Mar 25 2008 10:28 AM In reply to

I use www.fitwatch.com which sounds the same as fit day there's a calorie intake and burn chart. There are two option one is free but if you choose to pay it's something like $4-$5 a month. They have a bmi index (like fit day) you can enter the food off a list or create custom foods and exercise (like fit day). The only diffreneces I could see between fit day and fit watch was that fit day had more graphs than fit watch (there's one on the page where you enter calories and another on the page where you enter your activites) and the calories burned on fit watch is more than on  fit day, I ride a stationary bike for an hour a day on fit watch it's 22 calories a minuet on fit day it's 16 calories a minuet for the same weight and activity level.

Other than the weight loss sites I have three tricks that work pretty well

1 drink lots of water, I drink 4 32 oz glasses a day to keep myself from getting dehydrated (dehydration causes weight gain) and my stomach from growling

2 cut your portions in 1/2 with supersizing and resturant portions we think that the larger portions are normal and don't realize we're taking in more tham we need to eat.

3 don't take second helpings even though there's a very lonely looking slice of pizza still in the box the box is it's home and it's comfortable there. Besides you can eat it in the morning provided someone else (like a spouse or child) didn't grab it over night!

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Tue, Mar 25 2008 12:02 PM In reply to

Yep. I'm trying too.  My mom and I are trying to support each other and be weight loss buddies right now-she's doing better than me though!  I am back on it this morning; ready to go!

I hate to diet.  The minute I say I am on a diet, I am suddenly STARVING!  Some kind of wierd phenomenon.  I think for me, dieting makes me think about food too much and it makes me hungrier.

So here is my plan-to walk every morning (already did it this morning-yay!) for about 30 minutes as long as I don't have to be somewhere early.  On weekends, will try to go for a family walk or something as well.  For food, just going to make good choices-nonfat yogurt and fruit for breakfast, salad with leftover veggies, beans, etc for lunch, afternoon-no snacking (a big problem for me!).  If I must have something, then fruit is it.  Dinner will be the normal stuff I usually cook which is all healthy but I will cut down my portions by using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate.  A small dessert after dinner and no eating after 7pm.  No foods are off limits but I am going to do my best to make very good choices.  I will also drink as much water as possible-at least 48 oz per day.  In the afternoons, I'll play outside with DS-he loves to kick the soccer ball around and stuff like that.  Quality time with him plus some bonus extra exercise for me.

My goal is to lose 15 lbs by Summer.  DS gets out of school at the end of the first week of June, I'd like to have reached my goal before then.  It will be hard but I can do it if I try!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us