Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you haggle?

Last post 03-25-2008 10:18 AM by Deborahmichelle. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-24-2008 12:04 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Do you haggle?

My favorite new article from Dollar Stretcher this week is "5 Secrets to Getting a Better Price on Anything." I don't haggle as much as I could, but have been known to "talk down" the price on a few things. I'm not as comfortable doing it as I could be, though. Have you ever done this? If so, did you have success with it?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 03-24-2008 12:06 PM In reply to

Re: Do you haggle?

I will haggle sometimes like at swapmeets or garage sales etc.  I am nice about it.  I haven't really haggled on big ticket items because either it hasn't come up as an option or haven't had the chance.

My Family's Interests
  • 03-24-2008 12:54 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I do not haggle on price, not even at yard sales. It is not my talent. My husband however has no problem with it and has gotten us good deals.  

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-24-2008 1:21 PM In reply to

• Momof2
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Florida
    • Posts 990

Unfortunately I do not haggle. I am great at finding good buys, but I pay whatever price is asked, or I do not buy it.

Shannon
  • 03-24-2008 1:25 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

I was hoping to get some encouragement! As I said, I'm not as comfortable doing it as I could be. 

I've known people who get super good deals in the last hour or so of farmer's markets by offering to take all of something for one price, but haven't done it myself. It might be a good way to get vegetables to can or freeze.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 03-24-2008 1:33 PM In reply to

• Darlene
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2008
    • (Mid state) Illinois
    • Posts 137

Haggle  politely all the time at G. sales. The other day at Wal-greens, the clearance aisle had a watch band for $.10, others (exact same brand and style)  were marked higher. When I brought this to the attention of the clerk she let me purchase several  for $.10 each. They had soap at $4.00 for an eight pack. After purchase you were given instore rebate of $4.00 for merchandise in the store. I had a raincheck since they were out of soap the week the ad ran. The manager said I couldn't have the rebate, since the week had past. I thought that since they gave me a raincheck he should honor the rebate. He thought about it and gave me $4.00 in cash instead. So I got eight bars of soap for free. It doesn't hurt to point out these type of things in a store. It wasn't haggling,  I was just assertive (politely).

• 03-24-2008 1:58 PM In reply to

Most of my "negotiating" has been at garage sales. I almost always ask for a cheaper price. The only time I do not, is when I feel that the person is giving away the item at a "beyond a resonable price," and to ask for more would be greedy. If the person is asking too much, I rarely ask for a discount feeling they are really not interested in "getting rid of" the item. I just walk away. If they are interested in conducting an antique business out of their yard, I am not their target market. (There are some people who choose to sell part of their antique stuff/collections at garage sales, but their prices are almost always more reasonable.)

I have asked for discounts at stores, and most of the time I have asked, I have gotten something off. Unfortunately, it is a rarity.

It goes without saying that politeness works. 

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • 03-24-2008 2:00 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    I was hoping to get some encouragement! As I said, I'm not as comfortable doing it as I could be. 

Frank needs to post to this discussion, lol. His dumpster diving, haggling and bartering are how we have saved on things for the new home. I am just not good at it.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-24-2008 3:18 PM In reply to

Not me, I am a wimp . I go to yard sales and just pay the price. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 03-24-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

No, not me, if I have to haggle I won't buy it. Don't have the patience for it. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us