Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How do you celebrate when a student graduates from High School.

Last post Fri, May 30 2014 6:58 AM by zohnerfarms. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 6 2014 9:37 AM

How do you celebrate when a student graduates from High School.

Hello, When my children graduated from high school, they attended a Class Party. It was a nice opportunity to share high school memories and to say good-by to their friends. Now that I live in Minnesota, I have discussed graduation with mothers of teens. Every one of them is planning for a terrific party for their child. They will have a tent (in case of rain), special food (known to be "liked" by their child's friends), and a large display of all the best accomplishments of their child. To me, this is excessive, but maybe I am way behind. What is happening at graduation time in your community???
  • Tue, May 6 2014 9:44 AM In reply to

Re: How do you celebrate when a student graduates from High School.

All of my children graduated from home school but one. He graduated from Christian school.  We had a cookout with family and a few of their friends. Nothing  huge. It was just an inexpensive fun time.

Our local public schools have a big non alcohol party for the kids.
    Events raise money to help pay for this. Not all kids go but a lot attend. Babs 

• Tue, May 6 2014 12:43 PM In reply to

In the area I live in pool parties are popular with ordered pizza or grilling but I live in the south so usually it's warm enough to do that. Some of the get together and drive down to the coast by pooling their money and stay a week. The few fortunate are able to go on a cruise which would be nice but not many get to enjoy that luxury.
  • Tue, May 6 2014 4:02 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

We had a cookout for family and friends.

• Wed, May 7 2014 1:08 PM In reply to

my DS graduate in the fall last year he wil graduate with this year co-op he known 90% of them for a life time Mike spoke to his dad and for one day for 4 hours he get the aracade and game center and he wants hot dogs hamburger  and salad and chicken for the girls and he invited all of them families to so every one wil go we have a good time he is getting his permit next week and we already brought him a truck he will have to learn to drive his brothers took care of that he be running around the place in the jeep for years and he a good kid by the time he is 16 he be in college and he get credit for all th class he audited he brilliant in computer and gaming he do well 

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Fri, May 16 2014 2:47 PM In reply to

Thank you one and all for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts. In my opinion, people can have a happy time without spending a great deal of money. The support and love of the family, at the time of graduation, will be remembered by the student and those who attended. I wish all, who completed the school program, a wonderful future. Lori Blatzheim
  • Sun, May 18 2014 5:17 AM In reply to

Dear Lori, I live in Mn, in the twin cities.  My first dd graduated from a small school, 26 kids.  They coordinated their parties so everyone could go to everyone's.  Her theme was a tea party, we made cookies, mousse, and little sandwiches.  I finished a scrapbook for her.  I did not know about the boards of accomplishments and photos.  

My ds graduated last year.  I rented a shelter at a lake. We brought burrito stuff and I made a bunch of cakes. We made fruit kabobs and had pop.  We did two photo boards.

My ds graduates this year. We rented a shelter again with her friend.  We will have cake, drinks, coffee, pop. She had done a self portrait and will do one of her friend.  They both did posters for theatre with pictures of their shows.  We might have some more food, I have to coordinate with the girls and the other mom. 

It is a big deal in MN, but it is fun.  I have been saving a little every month for her party, prom, etc, the senior expenses. She has helped with some expenses. 

• Fri, May 30 2014 6:58 AM In reply to

We had cake & ice cream with extended family, & they received a few presents.  Some went to the school parties, others did not. Their choice, their expense, as they all had part-time jobs. Ditto with prom - their choice, their expense. None chose to buy a class ring, which is not surprising, since neither their father nor I own one. Most of our children chose not to drop a ridiculous wad of $ for hs graduation celebrations, when they were a month or two from having college expenses. I believe they chose wisely, & I am proud of them.

When they graduated from college, we also had cake & ice cream with extended family, & they received a few more presents.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us