Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Dealing with "Oops"

Last post Tue, May 27 2014 10:13 PM by budgetwise. 17 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 24 2014 2:42 AM In reply to

Re: Dealing with "Oops"

Sadly, it is the case. We have all new software so everyone will have to register for the new community and we start fresh.

The upside to this is we won't be bringing all our glitches and issues over with us. We get to put ourselves back together with forums that work instead of being frustrated and unable to post.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Tue, May 27 2014 8:06 AM In reply to

The new community should be going live tomorrow if you not seen the other announcements on it.

• Tue, May 27 2014 10:15 AM In reply to

AnotherBrandy:

The new community should be going live tomorrow if you not seen the other announcements on it.

Thanks, Brandy.

Will there be some kind of link/tutorial to help us get logged in and/or register? 

Will we be able to keep our current forum names?

bw 

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Tue, May 27 2014 10:19 AM In reply to

When you click the button for signing up, you will see this...

Create Account

Name
    Email Address

You will use your email address to login.

Password

Passwords must be at least 6 characters in length.

Password Again

Enter your password again for confirmation.

Profile Address

This will be the end of your profile link, for example:
    http://209.151.148.95/profile/yourname

Timezone
    (UTC-8) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (UTC-7) Mountain Time (US & Canada) (UTC-6) Central Time (US & Canada) (UTC-5) Eastern Time (US & Canada) (UTC-4) Atlantic Time (Canada) (UTC-9) Alaska (US & Canada) (UTC-10) Hawaii (US) (UTC-11) Midway Island, Samoa (UTC-12) Eniwetok, Kwajalein (UTC-3:30) Canada/Newfoundland (UTC-3) Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Georgetown (UTC-2) Mid-Atlantic (UTC-1) Azores, Cape Verde Is. Greenwich Mean Time (Lisbon, London) (UTC+1) Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, Rome, Madrid (UTC+2) Athens, Helsinki, Istanbul, Cairo, E. Europe (UTC+3) Baghdad, Kuwait, Nairobi, Moscow (UTC+3:30) Tehran (UTC+4) Abu Dhabi, Kazan, Muscat (UTC+4:30) Kabul (UTC+5) Islamabad, Karachi, Tashkent (UTC+5:30) Bombay, Calcutta, New Delhi (UTC+5:45) Nepal (UTC+6) Almaty, Dhaka (UTC+6:30) Cocos Islands, Yangon (UTC+7) Bangkok, Jakarta, Hanoi (UTC+8) Beijing, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei (UTC+9) Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporto, Seoul, Yakutsk (UTC+9:30) Adelaide, Darwin (UTC+10) Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Guam (UTC+11) Magadan, Solomon Is., New Caledonia (UTC+12) Fiji, Kamchatka, Marshall Is., Wellington

I have read and agree to the terms of service.

Continue

It's that quick and easy to register.

Where you see profile name, put a name in. Your old member name from here works.

• Tue, May 27 2014 1:28 PM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 412

Let me throw my 2 cents in and help clarify a few things.

First, let's look forward. Our intention is to keep the old forums online, but after some transition period prevent new posts. So you'll be able to see old posts, but not add new comments.

We won't be able to move the posts to the new forums. Wish we could but that would require us to move the current database to the new software. And, it's not the software, but the database that's the real problem. There's some corruption in it that we've spent many hours and dollars trying to find and correct. Without any success. So to move it to the new forums would just be to take those problems with us. 

And, just a few words about the past. I think that Brandy has done a good job trying to prevent spam from appearing. But, don't think that new software will make spam go away. I just changed my eBay password because they had a problem. And I'm sure their spam/hacker firewall is much tougher than anything we could do here at TDS. So there will continue to be challenges.

Just for the record, the software isn't anywhere nearly as old as Windows 98. It went online almost exactly 7 years ago. At the time it came highly recommended. But unfortunately the developers stopped supporting it about 2 years after our purchase. For the most part it ran cleanly for years. Then we started running into database problems. Nothing was able to find them. We even consulted outside experts. With limited success. I'll be happy to not have to try to troubleshoot that database any longer.

I hope that everyone enjoys the new software. I know that the trend today is toward all the social media and away from things like forums. So purchasing, installing and customizing new software is a statement for us.

I hope that the new forums are a wonderful too for everyone. Why not join with Brandy and the Stretchperts and make the most of it?

• Tue, May 27 2014 2:47 PM In reply to

All we have to do is look in our e-mail and know that spam never goes away, LOL!

• Tue, May 27 2014 3:06 PM In reply to

Gary, I for one, would like to thank you for keeping a forum open. I am not into the social media thing at all, but I do so enjoy reading this forum. I even participate when I can get the post to go thru. Also thanks to Brandy and the rest of the moderators for their hard work to keep the forum operating.

• Tue, May 27 2014 10:13 PM In reply to

Gary:

Let me throw my 2 cents in and help clarify a few things.

First, let's look forward. Our intention is to keep the old forums online, but after some transition period prevent new posts. So you'll be able to see old posts, but not add new comments.

We won't be able to move the posts to the new forums. Wish we could but that would require us to move the current database to the new software. And, it's not the software, but the database that's the real problem. There's some corruption in it that we've spent many hours and dollars trying to find and correct. Without any success. So to move it to the new forums would just be to take those problems with us. 

And, just a few words about the past. I think that Brandy has done a good job trying to prevent spam from appearing. But, don't think that new software will make spam go away. I just changed my eBay password because they had a problem. And I'm sure their spam/hacker firewall is much tougher than anything we could do here at TDS. So there will continue to be challenges.

Just for the record, the software isn't anywhere nearly as old as Windows 98. It went online almost exactly 7 years ago. At the time it came highly recommended. But unfortunately the developers stopped supporting it about 2 years after our purchase. For the most part it ran cleanly for years. Then we started running into database problems. Nothing was able to find them. We even consulted outside experts. With limited success. I'll be happy to not have to try to troubleshoot that database any longer.

I hope that everyone enjoys the new software. I know that the trend today is toward all the social media and away from things like forums. So purchasing, installing and customizing new software is a statement for us.

I hope that the new forums are a wonderful too for everyone. Why not join with Brandy and the Stretchperts and make the most of it?

I sincerely thank you guys for your hard work in keeping this thing running as long as you have and I'm excited to see the new forum. Thank you so much! (insert hands clapping and thumbs up!!)    (:
    budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us