Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Produce..I Found Produce!

Last post Thu, Apr 12 2007 12:40 PM by Brandy. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 29 2007 8:43 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Produce..I Found Produce!

Apparently it was my day to have some good things happening.

We are trying to have healthy diets and decided to add more fresh produce to the menu. This is not cheap so I am trying to stick with sales and look for good deals. Today, while I was out running errands with my Mother, we found a new produce stand has opened. The regular prices are the same as the sale prices at the local grocery store and the foods looked much fresher. I came home with two shopping bags of stuff.

I hope they stick around for awhile.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Mar 29 2007 9:13 PM In reply to

Re: Produce..I Found Produce!

ohhh lucky you Brandy! I can't wait for famers mkts to start around here again. Hit them late in the day and you can get great deals. We try to grow as much as possible, but it seems there is always something that doesn't do well in a given year.

I did find one grocery store nearby that reduces it's bagged salads (fresh express, etc) to .99 BEFORE it gets brown and mushy! I load up and what goes bad goes to either the chickens or the rabbits so it gets turned into eggs or bunny doodoos for the garden .

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Thu, Mar 29 2007 9:16 PM In reply to

Lucky you!  Our nearest produce stand is 18 miles away!  Starting in July, we will have a once a week produce stand, with produce from a gardening community 150 miles away.  And there will be a once weekly local produce stand, but they don't even start until our garden is producing, so it is not worth the effort.  There is nothing like really fresh produce.
    Patrink

• Thu, Mar 29 2007 9:16 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

This is the first time I have found a local one that has good prices so I appreciate the tips. I don't know the ins and outs of those things at all.

• Fri, Mar 30 2007 9:36 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Congratulations on your good find! I can't wait to plant my tomatoes and hit the fruit stands for the things I can't grow. mmmmm
  • Sat, Mar 31 2007 10:36 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Prior to this, Patrink, we had no access to a stand or farmer's market. The nearest two were an hour's drive. Both of those closed after the storm and no new ones had opened.

I am hoping these people are a success. They had good stuff at good prices. Also they have plans to expand into something of a little country store. They are looking for more suppliers for food and also looking for crafters wanting to sell their stuff.

• Tue, Apr 3 2007 12:43 PM In reply to

Re: Re: Produce..I Found Produce!

Flea markets are a great place to go for produce, too! Our local flea market has prices half that of walmart and much less than the farmer's market.
    The Bad Penny - our journey out of debt and into thoughtful living.
  • Thu, Apr 12 2007 8:48 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I wanted to add a note:

Yesterday I went to the produce stand and the woman who runs it had a basket near the checkout counter. I found out what they do with the veggies  when they start showing spots and wilting, they don't discount it, they give it away!!

I paid $11 for my purchase and got:

1 dozen fresh eggs....I wish I had bought these before Easter. I would not need dye, lol! These are beautiful shades.

2 tomatoes

2 cucumbers

a bag of lemons

a bag of oranges

1 onion

4 zucchini- these were the freebies 

• Thu, Apr 12 2007 9:44 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Lots of places throw things out rather than give them away, so you're lucky!
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Apr 12 2007 10:18 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

The local grocery stores will have produce beginning to wilt, brown or have soft spots in the bins of regular priced stuff. They put it on sale when it goes beyond starting to turn. The stuff she was giving away yesterday would still be sold at regular price in the grocery stores.

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us