Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Making the Most of Your Dollar: Stretching Ground Beef

Last post Wed, Mar 5 2014 11:12 AM by pmburk. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 20 2014 3:13 PM

Making the Most of Your Dollar: Stretching Ground Beef

One way to save money on food is to stretch items by using them in different ways. A chicken breast served on a plate only makes one serving but cutting chicken up and using it in a recipe can make several servings. Today we are going to look at a meat that used to cost us less money so we can find ways to stretch it a little farther.

Do you have a great way to use ground beef that stretches a small amount to the whole family or over multiple meals? Share it with the rest of the community!

New to the forums? It's easy to register for a membership here so share your tips today.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Thu, Feb 20 2014 4:01 PM In reply to

Re: Making the Most of Your Dollar: Stretching Ground Beef

My habit, especially with new to us recipes is to halve the measure of ground beef. If volume is needed, then veggies or lentils for protein can be added. AM
  • Thu, Feb 20 2014 8:49 PM In reply to

Depends what you are making..stretching it in spagetti sauce or chili is easy with extra veggies and beans but things like hamburgers are harder. 

• Sat, Feb 22 2014 10:04 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

Anna Marie:
    My habit, especially with new to us recipes is to halve the measure of ground beef. If volume is needed, then veggies or lentils for protein can be added. AM

Not being a big fan of ground turkey I do this to cut the fat. I have learned that any thing with a sauce of some sort works well with lentils. I just make sure I rinse them well before I use them. The texture is pretty close to ground beef.

Chili, goulash, tacos, stuffed cabbage, and stuffed peppers.  

• Mon, Feb 24 2014 12:34 PM In reply to

• pmburk
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 16 2013
    • DFW, Texas
    • Posts 109

For many meals I will mix my ground beef half & half with either ground turkey or ground pork, which are both much cheaper in my area. Even breakfast sausage or ground chicken can work if they are cheap enough. This works great for things like spaghetti, hamburger helper or pasta type dishes, casseroles, or meatloaf. You can also use other "fillers" instead such as oatmeal, grated veggies, bread crumbs, cooked beans/lentils, or rice. My personal experience is that these fillers work best in things like meatloaf, meatballs, or Salisbury steaks, where you're forming the meat into a patty or whatever, and fillers are expected. 

For pasta sauce I use a lot of vegetables, let the sauce simmer & cook down, and add a smaller amount of meat just to season & give texture. It doesn't have to be a meat-heavy sauce to have a good chunky, thick texture. You can also do sauce with no meat, and make meatballs instead (cut down with bread crumbs, grated veggies, lentils, etc).

For tacos/burritos, I mix my pinto beans & meat together for serving. By mixing it in with the beans directly, you can use much less meat and still have a good filling.

I have a lot of 1940s & WWII era cookbooks, which are wonderful for "stretchy" recipes, because everyone was on rations! There are some really inventive ideas on how to feed an entire family on very little meat, and making the meat stretch.

• Mon, Feb 24 2014 6:48 PM In reply to

duplicate                      

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

one thing I learn from   "Dining on DIne "  is to use about 1/2 the hamburg in chili and casserole ect .. I do get some tvp and use it  but not regular for everything here ground chicken is more than Ground beef and you have to special order ground pork 

DH got me a whole cow  ground meat recently we spilt it between Katie and I  .. she the queen of casseroles and I try to limit my Ground meat usage when ever I can

right now grocery have bone-in spilt chicken breast for $ 0.98   other chicken parts on sale and pork rib are $1.68  you can't win                     

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

duplicate                   

Gayla57

• Mon, Feb 24 2014 7:29 PM In reply to

Gayla57:

you have to special order ground pork 

It is my understanding that butchers will not often honor requests to grind pork because they must then clean their grinders to insure that there is no pork contaminating the following batch. So, a request to grind some pork, then some beef can sometimes get the customer the desired outcome. AM
  • Mon, Feb 24 2014 7:47 PM In reply to

yes and one store you have to pick out the pork and pay for what you buy then they add a charge to ground it ..

if I ask when we do a pig butcher will grind me up some  or if he making sausage I can get ground pork 

I dont buy any market ground turkey get mine from Butcher he will grind turkey breast for me i will get 25 lbs and then wrap it myself

the stuff they sell here has dark meat skin and Lord knows what else having a butcher isnt always possible but ours is worth

his weight in gold  

Gayla57

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us