Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Valentine's Day Gifts on a Budget

Last post Fri, Feb 7 2014 9:02 AM by haverwench. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 22 2014 2:47 PM

Valentine's Day Gifts on a Budget

Frugal gifts don't have to be tacky. The best dollar stretchers here are sure to have some great ideas for fantastic gifts that don't break the bank saying "I love you".

So this year when you give the gifts from your heart, say "I love you" to your budget as well.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Thu, Jan 23 2014 12:10 AM In reply to

Re: Valentine's Day Gifts on a Budget

posted a bunch of ideas in the crafts section.    we keep it simple here.  valentines, mil bday and our anniversary in a row so basic like dinner. or of course spicing it up in the bedouir.

• Fri, Jan 24 2014 7:52 AM In reply to

We keep it pretty simple here. Usually get one of the little $1 heart candy boxes for the kiddos. A small box of my favorite type for me, and DH usually will get me flowers, but he knows that any flowers will do and won't overspend for roses at that time of year. Trader Joes has inexpensive but beautiful roses all year round, so he'll get roses some other time. We focus more on a little get away from the kids, last year for our 10th Valentine's, we got to go away overnight without kids. Not sure yet what shape this year's plans are going to be, but we'll do a little something special together.
    Kris in VA
  • Fri, Jan 24 2014 10:27 AM In reply to

I love Valentines Day! The 13th is my birthday so Valentines Day gives me an excuse to return the love! BTW...is you have any candy canes left from Christmas, you can glue them together to form a heart!
  • Sat, Jan 25 2014 7:32 PM In reply to

my Valenlines day was my MIL birthday she loved the day and my kids would always sent her  a card with hearts and flowers

she loved it and when she came to live with us she got Valentines and Bithday card with lots of hearts and flowers  fast foreward my Granddaughter Belle  is named for her and after her she too was born on Valentines day her Great Grandma would have loved the little red gil she goes from in the am to the pm full throttle she named for her Great grandma they would have a lovely time .. 

we make Valentine  day very special here we bake valentine cupcake them we do a velntines day breakfaat with heavenly hash good as can be heart shaped biscuits because we have so many kids at our house we make mail boxes   and on Valentine day we give each grand a box of valentine day candy and Papa gives the gils flowers

we are very in Valentine day now .

St Partick day got several in the family who are Native but in March we all Irish .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Sun, Jan 26 2014 8:54 AM In reply to

This year DD and I are going to make cupcakes. I have tons of sprinkles so it will be fun for her to decorate them. I will get DD a movie -- not just released but a few months out soa little less expensive. Nothing for baby this year unless I happen to come across a second-hand exersaucer by then. Not sure about DH yet. Last year I got him a card that said, "I want to grow old and disgusting with you." LOL
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Jan 26 2014 10:39 AM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

I love candy, but it can add up when you're on a super tight budget. Cake mixes are about as inexpensive as you can go.  Even when they aren't on sale, they're between $1 and $1.30 here, and they make treats for a lot of people.  I've used chocolate and white ones over the years to make cupcakes, cookies (just add an egg and 1 stick of melted butter and a tiny amount of water to make it a cookie mix), mini heart shaped cakes, etc.  I haven't yet tried cake pops, but you could use them for that.

Dust them with powdered sugar or make a very inexpensive and super easy frosting by adding a tiny amount of liquid to powdered sugar and stir until it is the consistency of frosting. The liquid can be flavoring/coloring with extra water if needed.  A little goes a long way with powdered sugar, so start with a few drops and add more as needed. Almond extract is very nice and clear.  Vanilla tastes yummy but tends to color the frosting brownish.  You can use smushed berries (with seeds removed) or fruit juice for natural coloring & flavoring if you want.  If you add more liquid you can make a pretty glaze.

A package of doilies is usually very inexpensive and they can be used on little red paper plates to give out the treats or to make Valentines on red paper.

You can also place a doily over a cake or cookie and lightly dust it with powdered sugar or cocoa and then remove the doily for a very pretty design.  I've had the most success using a fine sieve and a spoon to push the sugar through.

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Sun, Jan 26 2014 11:15 AM In reply to

I always loved Valentines Day as a kid in school. My mom was so creative so she usually made the Large Valentine Box for the classroom. It was decorated and beautiful! She usually used a hat box. Then everyone in class covered/decorated a shoe box and that was what we used to carry all our Valentines home in. If you were lucky you got to be the postman who passed the Valentines out to the class! My mind is also recalling the hearts decorating the room along with President Lincoln's picture.
  • Thu, Jan 30 2014 3:32 PM In reply to

Big diamonds and expensive meals are not very appealing to me.

Valentine's day means special dinners we cook at home, special desserts we enjoy, paper hearts and projects the kids make and roses at our house. Many years the lovely roses I have displayed were handcrafted by the children from paper or pressed flowers they had done. It's a family time and couple time and that's worth more than jewelry store diamonds.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:43 PM In reply to

DH brought me the cutest card for Valentines day and he got my gift early he brought me two new Jack Russell puppies he brought them home today after church  Rhett and Scarlett are beautiful both from different litters from two breader we know I wanted a pair I could raise my oldest and dear little one had passed away after the 1st of the year Chi Chi was 13 which is old for a Jack Russell I  got her from the shelter and we fostered her for about a year then she was so fond of me she would have not lasted with anyone else she had one littler of 4 and then 2 she was in alot of pain she had cancer lost an eye and when it came back  we did what was best for her ..  I have a pair but they don't like each other so DH got me a pair the one breeder came over today and brought my other pair he raises the dogs and they are registered pair so now two little Jack Russsels have joined the family ...  they run right in and jumped on Duke and Gracie who were on their bed Gracie washed them she thinks they are puppies they are 12 weeks old but they want to run with the big dogs good for them , already learned when they all run out side they can push the cat door  it in the 60's them dogs going to run Duke on he top of the run baying it going to be a good night

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us